Replacing Pickups in 2004 CU24

Trio

Looking for some advice on replacing the stock pickups in my 2004 CU24. It has the standard (at the time) Vintage Bass and HFS treble.

The guitar plays and sounds great, BUT I also have a 2014 CU24 with 59/09s in it that (to me) has a better clarity and reaction to gain.

So, I’m considering going 59/09 in the older guitar to give it a tone update.

Has anyone done this (Vintage / HFS to 59/09) and would you recommend it? Any problems fitting the square bobbins to the old rings?

Other alternatives?

Thanks.

2004 on the left, 2014 on the right

I didn't have any issues making the change to squabbins on my CU24. I didn't care for the VB/HFS either.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I replaced the Dragon II's in my Cu22 with covered 59/09's and haven't looked back.

What pickups did you upgrade to?

I did covered 59/09 at first and now I have squabbin 53/10 & \m/ combo. I think I might trade out the 53/10 for a 59/09 neck pup because it might be a better balance with the \m/ bridge pup. Then I can have the 53/10 neck with a 59/09 bridge

I put 59/09 squabbins in my Cu24 stoptail. Originally it would have had the HFS/Vintage but someone else had put in aftermarket pups in it. I can say that compared to my Cu24 with the HFS/Vintage it has more punch on the neck pup. I like both sets of pups, just different.

Make the switch and don't look back.

I like the vb but not the hfs. 5909s are more desirable in my opinion

OP again . . .

While I'm waiting for the new set of 59/09s to arrive, a new question. Are the leads the same between the old Vintage/HFS and the new 59/09s? In other words, the new red wire goes where the old red wire was etc.? Simple as that? Nothing reversed or any other changes?

I noticed that the small PC board on the rotary switch is labeled by color.

Thanks again.

I don't remember but I think so. I'll open the cavity tomorrow after work and take a look.

OP again . . .

While I'm waiting for the new set of 59/09s to arrive, a new question. Are the leads the same between the old Vintage/HFS and the new 59/09s? In other words, the new red wire goes where the old red wire was etc.? Simple as that? Nothing reversed or any other changes?

I noticed that the small PC board on the rotary switch is labeled by color.

Thanks again.

Yes they are. I first installed mine with a Rotary switch and everything lined up exactly the same as my old VB/HFS pickups

Trio - I have a 2002 CU24 with VB & HFS pick ups. No other guitar that I have sounds quite like this one, so I have resisted the temptation to change out the pick ups (so far;)). Anxious to hear what you think after installation is complete

Trio - I have a 2002 CU24 with VB & HFS pick ups. No other guitar that I have sounds quite like this one, so I have resisted the temptation to change out the pick ups (so far;)). Anxious to hear what you think after installation is complete

I will report back upon completion. It will probably be about a week.

My 2004 CU24 sounds unique, but I like the tone and feel of the 2014 model with the 59/09 set more. I'm very interested to see what happens, too.

Back