Replacing Inlays

Ruben Bernard

Ive seen that a few people have had this same discussion... so forgive me for starting this up again.
Since I got my SE, I've been trying to do a few little upgrades. Locking tuners, nice pickups all the rest.
Me and my dad have a little half joke about who's guitar is better (He has a 60s Standard Les Paul). One of the things he likes to hold over me is his Mother Of Pearl inlays. But... I could change my inlays... right? But how do I do that without ruining my pride and joy and without it looking horrible and tacky? I don't even consider anything that risks damaging it (my guitar has a lot of sentimental value for a load of reasons so cant risk damage at all)
Has anyone else actually changed their inlays? and how did it turn out?

No I don't know of anyone that've changed them. I'm sure it can be done. But unless you're somebody with the skill level of say Ron Thorn...I wouldn't touch it. I would imagine to have a qualified luthier to do it, would probably be very cost prohibitive.

But hey, you do you it's your guitar. Or just tell your pops birds rule and unlike his, your guitar won't go all "Harakiri" on it's headstock if it ever falls over. ;)

Last edited:
I have to second the others here, cost-wise it wouldn’t be worth it. It’s pretty detailed work getting the fretboard cut properly, and doing It with the frets installed would require some sort of jig to hold it all. If you do very fine handwork (making jewelry, engraving, etc) you might be up to it. But it would be really easy to botch up the fretboard.

I was not sold on the dark inlay material on one of my private stocks. The color was too dark against the ebony fret board. I asked PRS about having the material replaced, and I was told it was not cost effective. I was told that replacing the entire fret board was more economical. This was on a PS, so as nice as SEs are, I can’t see that happening.

I was not sold on the dark inlay material on one of my private stocks. The color was too dark against the ebony fret board. I asked PRS about having the material replaced, and I was told it was not cost effective. I was told that replacing the entire fret board was more economical. This was on a PS, so as nice as SEs are, I can’t see that happening.
Yup I was thinking that it would be easier to plane the board off and replace it. So no!!

Back