relic Silver Sky

And yes, I'm fully aware that someone else will jump all over this as the coolest one they've seen, AND, I'm OK with that too!

I don't get the relic thing. I can understand rolling fret edges or sanding on the back of the neck. Those are things that address playability. But the cosmetic scarring? Seems like a "poser" type of thing. That probably sounds more harsh than I mean it to. When it's all said and done I believe "It's your guitar, do what you want."

My #1, Hwy1 Tele, is pretty well scuffed up. Every mark, ding, and wear spot has been put on it "naturally". Some through rock and roll jamming, some through rock and roll stupidity, and even some through general stupidity. When I bought it looked brand new and I couldn't wait for it to get scarred up. But I think they need to be earned and not "aesthetically applied."

Considering that the model is what now..3 maybe 4 yrs. old if that, it's ludicrous to think that a PRS SS is going to get that much wear in such a short time. Maybe Mayer could do it, but anyone that spends good hard money for one of these shouldn't want one aged out of the gate. I'm 71, if someone that didn't know guitars and models and ages saw me playing it.. a good lie would be both the guitar and me telling a tale that many would believe, but if it's someone in the know and sees it, they are going to instantly know it isn't real wear. It makes no difference to me, but relicing is not something that I've ever valued or attempted on my specimens. I have thousands of dollars tied up in assorted gear, I want it to continue to be pristine. And since I no longer gig, there is no excuse for owning such a guitar in that makeup..

I dig relicing cars. I’m going to let my grandsons take mine to demolition derby. They look so cool all beat to sh*t.

I totally get it. I let my 6 month old grandson drive my new car, and it finally looks like a real off-road vehicle!

Of course, he couldn’t reach the pedals, so I just floored it for him.

He did great! We only hit a tree a couple of times.

I'm 71, if someone that didn't know guitars and models and ages saw me playing it.. a good lie would be both the guitar and me telling a tale that many would believe, but if it's someone in the know and sees it, they are going to instantly know it isn't real wear.

So I’m forming a new Grandpa Band. The good news is, you’re in, we’re doing the entire Ventures catalog, and you’re playing lead guitar.

The bad news is we’re also doing the entire Tiny Tim catalog, because the singer is, well...a singer with a ukulele.

To make up for it, however, we’re also playing the Sam The Sham and the Pharoahs greatest hits, plus “Land of 1000 Dances”.

Can you play the “Satisfaction” lick and the solo on “Louie, Louie”?

With any luck we’ll be into Freddie and the Dreamers’ only but greatest hit, “I’m Telling You Now”.

Last edited:
So I’m forming a new Grandpa Band. The good news is, you’re in, we’re doing the entire Ventures catalog, and you’re playing lead guitar.

The bad news is we’re also doing the entire Tiny Tim catalog, because the singer is, well...a singer with a ukulele.

To make up for it, however, we’re also playing the Sam The Sham and the Pharoahs greatest hits, plus “Land of 1000 Dances”.

With any luck we’ll be into Freddie and the Dreamers’ only but greatest hit, “I’m Telling You Now”.

ALRIGHT! When do the tour tchotchkies come out?

Every mark, ding, and wear spot has been put on it "naturally". Some through rock and roll jamming, some through rock and roll stupidity, and even some through general stupidity.

That’s what I’m talkin about. Earned is OK with me. But intentionally messing up a new guitar is a non-starter here. And once again, to anyone who likes them, you do what you like. I have no problem with it.

I have one of the Guitar Sanctuary relics. The guy who does it is an artist. If you have the jones for a relic, it is damage tastefully done.
IMG_1801.jpg%257Eoriginal.jpg

I bought it because it makes a rather bland white guitar interesting and freaks PRS aficionados out. That being said, I did promise Frankie that it would never wear an Iron Cross. It hasn't earned it.

Last edited:
I think they’re doing as good a relic job as is possible for a poly finish. Really good looking IMO, it’s very much like the Gibson relicing.
Too bad the HW is still new looking though.
That said they’re making a lot more than $400 on these considering the selling price of new SS ;-)

Back