Refinishing...talk me off the ledge.

TMeury

Ah jeez.
Friends.

To preface, I've been wanting one of the original Al Di Meola's (charcoal-ish with a white sparkle back) since first seeing his. I know there was a limited run by a dealer in Japan in 2006 but, I doubt one of those will pop up for sale anytime soon. Let alone at a reasonable cost.

I finally scored a McBraz with a great quilt '10' top. IRW neck, BRW overlay. She's a real beaut!

My dilemma is do I or do I not refinish it into my mythical Meola dream guitar?

I'm not terribly worried about resale as I plan on keeping it. If I do sell eventually, I don't think a finish as classy as this would affect things too much.

Talk me to or away from the ledge.

YNpTYZrR0t1Jz7xjemxcjFEcOsVBEPttaqdlKcV7t6uWyTLg2bksMU83DPNqj-eXEZn0tBa71PUIQXENXTWzmVMv3Wg7MnxSCbx2VuM3ZEcF56xMpahRsq7u5XRK40Lyv3YzDofSGj5DomG-2jTv9Q3emsb50nCMVZ-fcrdJZq9TwhE5n1TH6BV-O_FJoihXLpa34Tx1mTPuGvteU2Mr7q9s8a4otN1Tdll_TZuPsEVkad115proCzJZowb_vakyG-iD8t94V41QFcDgcA2QoYc09aow_h2WTWnijPO_m17J-fmTVCawX6mpG3rMyV5Yq_yY_rZOumkT4jf9YFayZZldXWGgzsppVlnu8Ax-pfWTbmbUGOMIfG8xfYlsu0HuBFBeTnZ5Jw3bw29iDf49PDRurEbnT1pCJCwqyd8Z5WcePqcwf_KjcmMoH8RpGc2eWFL9gZCIkzqmYdC8M5bn1_C0plwkHJBOJKsh59NHNSKnsjzE1kPKrBDdwvNz7We0sDCvxGKWBEuql-mIe3P8DpN9yTgXRCdzW9rMJhDdcZPn4NLZ5lluK-XEeT1i_Tg9Fi-2GxY3b6PAyYBnPpxwSkBqp_DiEeInLvXAornTQ0TtBfXrN7Q6vNw2irbanR08oWAUZTPZlkDzFRblEQFyE8kcemjJIQLK-kPOZGaKgJbtn7gCn5X36BldGvWembbMc-Qn6QQrXdrsK9I4tJ3uE9NUMrDd70KHsEzTnAbQ-c0dXVCemmbP9R77Xv0kww=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

A PTC job wouldn't be cheap, but it would certainly be second to none, especially if this is gonna be an heirloom guitar for you.

Food for thought: I just had a PTC solid color refinish and the sticker shock will make your eyes water. For me, it made sense because I got the guitar for a song due to known finish damage, but let’s just say one could buy a decently depreciated core model for the same amount.

Only you can decide. Financially you may have other things in your life that should be taking a priority other than refinishing a perfectly good guitar. I personally would let your new purchase cool down a bit. I’d play the guitar for at least a month, after that if it’s still everything you’re looking for in a guitar other than the finish and you can afford it, have it refinished. It’s always nice to have a dream come true and then live happily ever after with it.

Own it! Especially if you can get the refin done at a price and quality you’re happy with.

I have had several guitars refinished, and I have always been excited upon their completion. I never regret having it done. However it always cripples the resale value. Once you go with something "custom" you kill the market value - the guitar pretty much only becomes valuable to somebody that wants (or falls in love with) your guitar. You say you'll never sell it, but things come up - new guitars, medical emergencies, etc. We sell our guitars sometimes. Be prepared that you will loose the total value of the refin - so if you spend $1500 on the refin, that money is gone forever. Also, be prepared to have to sell the guitar for 30-40% below market value because it has a non-original paint job. A PTC paint job would preserve the value, but you are gonna pay a premium for that refinish.

Just a heads up.

Lots of people love quilt tops, and often they cost extra. Lots of people won’t buy a refinished guitar.

But it’s your guitar, so whatever floats your boat, right?

I refinished a strat myself. It looks a lot of research to make sure it would be done right. And it took a ton of work - I would probably never do it again. I recall thinking after, if someone asked me to do this for them, I wouldn't do it for less than 2 grand! Just not worth it otherwise. So I understand why it costs so much now.

Back