Talk me off the ledge... S2 Semi hollow custom 22 sounds dead

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by ppaul129, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I heard it in 3 seconds you need a good setup to start !!!! she is buzzing and chocking out !!!!!
    Sounds like you need a bit more neck relief
    Also ( IMHO ) new PRS tend to be a bit tight at first they improve after being played.

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

2. ppaul129

ppaul129 New Member

Forgive my lack of truss rod experience. So am I turning it clockwise or counter clockwise? I have done all other aspects of setup, but have never messed with the truss rod.

3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

First of all, excellent phrasing!

Second, could you be trying to make it sound like single coils? When you backed off the pick attack I heard more warmth and the pups started to sound like I expected. At the first the attack was shrill. I understand that is what you don't like about the S2. I'm thinking that if you EQ for humbuckers and play without the sharp attack (expecting a Strat quack) you may find the warm humbucker response.

4. ppaul129

ppaul129 New Member

Thank you AP515. I completely agree with what you are saying and have thought the same things myself as far as playing it like a single coil guitar. Until I played the PRS Hollowbody II at GC. I played it hard and it just sang. I am going to try to figure out the mystery of the truss rod and put in new pickups, then pray:)

BTW: this is the best forum I am on. Usually get so many uniformed replies, but you guys seem to get it:)

bodia likes this.
  5. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Good luck with the new pickups. I hope they help to at least salvage the situation.

Kevin

6. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

You know this means you need that HBII. I recently got my HBI and it's a pleasure to play.

ooglybong likes this.
  7. ppaul129

ppaul129 New Member

So, I raised the action a bit, and adjusted the neck and it is playing a lot better - not perfect, but better. The pups are still not for me and sound shrill, but that is fixable. I might take it to a guy to do a complete setup, but for now I will keep playing it. It plays like a dream and looks nice, so if I can get it to sound like I expect it to, that should fix things. I will post another clip once I get the new neck pup in. Still looking for a cheap SD bridge pup, since I spent everything I have on the guitar.

8. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I know this might seem like a strange pickup to look at the Dimarizo Tone Zone have one on my CU22 its darker than most Bridge pickups and just sounds nice clean or with gain and it splits really well

ppaul129 likes this.
  9. coyote

coyote 408/1=

To compare a semihollow to a solid body is silly. It is the nature of arch top guitars to have a pronounced pick attack, followed by a significant drop in 'energy'. You see, the top - while amplifying the sound - has to take some of the sonic energy to accomplish that. So they will inevitably sound more percussive than will a solidbody. Is it an appropriate decay? Hard to say.... Additionally, it would help if you kill the reverb when setting up examples like this.

Anyway, best of luck in getting what you want from the guitar.

10. ppaul129

ppaul129 New Member

Coyote- I have played alot of semi-hollows and hollow bodies over the years. I was not comparing them, the strat was just added so you could hear the quality of the amp. I very much understand that the differences between solid body, hollow and semihollow, but as you can hear in the example, there was something wrong with the tone and attack. Anyway, the other members replied with valid responses that led me to where I needed to get to.

11. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

In terms of the truss rod and where the neck relief "should be" - a good test is to capo the 1st fret, hold down the last fret and slide a business card between the fret and strings at the 8th fret. The card should slide easily with little, if any resistance against the strings. That should at least get it in the ballpark(the PRS link above are the guidelines I use as my starting point with any used guitar). How much neck relief, string height, etc. is all personal preference, obviously.

Taking it in for a full setup is a good idea, just make sure the tech is good.

12. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I believe the hollowbody II is full hollow construction? These S2 Semi's are a different animal, so I don't think they'll ever sound identical. It even sounds different than the 335-style semi hollow ibanez that I used to own. That being said, I still love the sound of mine, I hope you find times you like too!

13. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I thought I heard it a little something something in there. By all means, take it to a tech to have it set up. Make sure he/she has handled PRS before, and knows the little nuances. Yes, the action did sound a little low on your guitar. Are you using the same amp settings for the Strat and the S2? I`ve never had 2 guitars both sound well on the same amp settings. If you`re looking for a little more cojones, try lowering the pole pieces and raising the pickups. I did that on my S2, and it finally got me into humbucker land sonically. Also the coil tap sounds significantly better. I decided not to replace the pickups, I got the sound I wanted. The recording leads me to believe that this guitar will give you what you want.

kbprs likes this.
  14. ppaul129

ppaul129 New Member

Thanks all for your replies and knowledge on PRS guitars. I have been tweaking it a bit more and it sounds better. I have a few Seymour Duncans coming in the mail, so that should get me where I need to be, i hope.

Quick question about the pickups, since I haven't dissected the PRS electronics yet. I assume that I can just wire the 4 wire SD pups the same as the #7s are now? Anything to worry about or be aware of?

dogrocketp, yes I did raise the volume a tiny bit to equalize the single coil to humbucker output.

#34 ppaul129, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Paladin likes this.
  15. Luminandy

Luminandy New Member

PRS has schematics available for just about everything they have. I would look up the pickups as well. PRS pups will sometimes have black hot or white hot ect., then have opposites for neck and bridge. The wires might not be what you expect. Other than knowing what colors are what, I don't believe it should be too difficult.

bodia likes this.
  16. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

This!

17. XOdarkness

XOdarkness New Member

Hey how did those Duncan's work out? And was it a s2 with #7 pups getting swapped?