Talk me off or “over” the ledge (Silver Sky)

Silver Sky is the best SSS guitar I have ever owned in 40+ years just buy one and enjoy !!! ( I have 2 at the moment possibly more soon )

Silver Skys by

I need help! Seeing the New maple neck silver sky has driven me quite mad, and the new midnight rose color is something coming straight from my dreams. I know mentioning other brands is a no-go here but I’m debating selling my Xotic XSC to feed the urge.

Someone please talk some sense into me and let me know I’m not going crazy lol!

That’s Shallot!

No, this is Shalit.

film-and-book-critic-gene-shalit-poses-for-a-portrait-in-1985-in-new-picture-id669384630

I am so tempted on the same maple midnight rose.
My only concern is neck profile. I can’t find any dealers within 200 miles who have any ss in stock to try. Very rare here.

can anybody say what the neck profile is similar to? I have large hands and love thick necks. My favorite is the U profile on my American original 50 telecaster (which would be sold to fund the ss purchase).

I like the U shaped or Vintage C necks best for shape ( modern c is pretty thin for me ) the two best I ever had were a Robert Cray and an Eric Johnson but they were still 2 pickup guitars as the bridge pickup in most all fenders is almost useless unless you re EQ for them ( IMHO ) I have also always had issues with fender trems.

First one was a 73 3- bolt maple neck hardtail ( owned until 95 ) I had it strung with 11s with a wound 3rd most of its life it ate frets and always needed neck adjustments but when right it sounded great after I replaced the neck pickup and put the tone control, on the bridge pickup the middle pickup had no tone control so it had a bit more oomph

next favorite was the Robert Cray ( another hard tail ) I really like the necks with no skunk stripe also, always needed up cutting the pick guard to give better access to the truss rod .
I also liked my MIJ 62 reissue ( had a matching tele ) I've also had AVRI, a Custom shop Hendrix ( for 2 days ) and others and my neighbor is a Strat fanatic with to many to count his 58 is really nice :)
The Jeff Beck I had for a bit had the best trem set up but I couldn't make the sound work for me.

I only have one Strat left its my custom painted MIM with a Mann Trem , Lefty neck , locking tuners if my dad didn't paint it it would be long gone I have more $$ in parts in it than the guitar is worth its mainly wall art, it does play well just not up to my PRS standards these days

IMG_0770 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HcAUbQ]IMG_0006
by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R5eaj7]IMG_4041
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/[/url][/url]

I like the U shaped or Vintage C necks best for shape ( modern c is pretty thin for me ) the two best I ever had were a Robert Cray and an Eric Johnson but they were still 2 pickup guitars as the bridge pickup in most all fenders is almost useless unless you re EQ for them ( IMHO ) I have also always had issues with fender trems.

First one was a 73 3- bolt maple neck hardtail ( owned until 95 ) I had it strung with 11s with a wound 3rd most of its life it ate frets and always needed neck adjustments but when right it sounded great after I replaced the neck pickup and put the tone control, on the bridge pickup the middle pickup had no tone control so it had a bit more oomph

next favorite was the Robert Cray ( another hard tail ) I really like the necks with no skunk stripe also, always needed up cutting the pick guard to give better access to the truss rod .
I also liked my MIJ 62 reissue ( had a matching tele ) I've also had AVRI, a Custom shop Hendrix ( for 2 days ) and others and my neighbor is a Strat fanatic with to many to count his 58 is really nice :)
The Jeff Beck I had for a bit had the best trem set up but I couldn't make the sound work for me.

I only have one Strat left its my custom painted MIM with a Mann Trem , Lefty neck , locking tuners if my dad didn't paint it it would be long gone I have more $$ in parts in it than the guitar is worth its mainly wall art, it does play well just not up to my PRS standards these days

IMG_0770 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_0006 by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
IMG_4041 by

So how's the neck on teh silver sky compared to those you've owned?
What's it closest to? U, V, C, etc?

So how's the neck on teh silver sky compared to those you've owned?
What's it closest to? U, V, C, etc?
As another Robert Cray strat fan (and owner) who just bought a Silver Sky, I'd say the neck profile is really similar to the Cray, a C shape, a lot beefier than the modern Fender "C" but not as fat as some of the really deep C or U necks. The Silver Sky seems a little flatter on the bottom, pretty similar in the shoulders but then the Cray seems a little deeper throughout whereas the Silver Sky seems to flatten out more quickly after you get past the shoulders. If the new rosewood loses some of the shoulders while keeping the rest of the profile, I don't think I'd like that as much. I'd say I slightly prefer the Cray neck but love a soft-V like a Clapton or a Roadworn 50's strat most of any...

-Ray

... the bridge pickup in most all fenders is almost useless unless you re EQ for them ( IMHO ) I have also always had issues with fender trems

What do you do re eq for the bridge?
I have a us dlx strat that is almost wall art too - would love to know if I'm missing some tricks to make it sound good/better.
Does the same hold true for the SS?

On your fender ( IMHO ) there are a couple of things you can do.

1) Move the tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup, this will let you roll back the tone a bit on the bridge and gives you a bit more output on the middle pickup. some folks call it the Eric Johnson mod.

I also have put 500k pots in some of my favorite Strats

Last ( or first ) is a pickup change there are SO many single coil pickups that you can custom tune your guitar to you.
On my old maple neck strat I had a hot neck pickup with the stock mid and bridge and played it backward bridge for lead and middle / bridge for rhythm

No the Silver Sky does not have have these problems there are great sounds to be had on all 5 positions. that is why I have two already and a third is going to happen.

What do you do re eq for the bridge?
I have a us dlx strat that is almost wall art too - would love to know if I'm missing some tricks to make it sound good/better.
Does the same hold true for the SS?

Yeah, custom wiring can work - get a tone control on that bridge pickup by hook or by crook. I love the wiring on my Robert Cray - two no-load tone pots (when they’re on 10, it’s like there’s nothing in the circuit) with one wired to the bridge and neck pickups, the other to the center. Since the neck and bridge are never on at the same time, that gives you total independent control of each pickup in any switch position. And running them wide open in the 2 & 4 position really calls up the quack - even just running the middle wide open with the neck or bridge rolled back a little can get pretty magical. I love the logic of it so much I’d love to do something similar to my Silver Sky but with the way they use different value caps to balance the different pickups in the SS and the great results it produces, I wouldn’t change anything in the wiring of that guitar.

The other thing you can do without re-wiring your strat is if you have an equalizer of some sort on your pedal board, work up a setting to use for your strat bridge pickup - I’ve gotton some pretty ice-picky sounding bridge pups sounding quite good that way when I had one without a tone control...

Back