Talk me off or “over” the ledge (Silver Sky)

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by hubbdub, Jan 19, 2020.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Yep. No nitro on the neck. The satin is right in my wheelhouse.

dkilpatrick likes this.
  2. hubbdub

hubbdub New Member

Pre Order is done everyone, that Midnight Rose and maple board took my heart and my wallet !

3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Silver Sky is the best SSS guitar I have ever owned in 40+ years just buy one and enjoy !!! ( I have 2 at the moment possibly more soon )

[​IMG]Silver Skys by

Super100JH, g.wizz, ScottR and 9 others like this.
  4. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Love that "Onion" Green!

5. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

That’s Shallot!

g.wizz, ScottR and bodia like this.
  6. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

Never ask me to talk anyone off the ledge from getting a new guitar! LOL it’s like talking my wife out of getting a new handbag (pocketbook), senseless.

g.wizz, ScottR and bodia like this.
  7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

No, this is Shalit.

[​IMG]

g.wizz, ScottR, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  8. rickcard71

rickcard71 New Member

I agree. I had my eye on a gold one until I saw this video. That is beautiful but I’m thinking about getting a black one refinished in Nebula. I found some to do it. Now I just have to decide.

g.wizz, ScottR, horax and 2 others like this.
  9. horax

horax New Member

I am so tempted on the same maple midnight rose.
    My only concern is neck profile. I can’t find any dealers within 200 miles who have any ss in stock to try. Very rare here.

can anybody say what the neck profile is similar to? I have large hands and love thick necks. My favorite is the U profile on my American original 50 telecaster (which would be sold to fund the ss purchase).

Zack Matzanias likes this.
  10. horax

horax New Member

which sss styles stand out to you and why, if you don’t mind my asking? What have you owned?

11. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I like the U shaped or Vintage C necks best for shape ( modern c is pretty thin for me ) the two best I ever had were a Robert Cray and an Eric Johnson but they were still 2 pickup guitars as the bridge pickup in most all fenders is almost useless unless you re EQ for them ( IMHO ) I have also always had issues with fender trems.

First one was a 73 3- bolt maple neck hardtail ( owned until 95 ) I had it strung with 11s with a wound 3rd most of its life it ate frets and always needed neck adjustments but when right it sounded great after I replaced the neck pickup and put the tone control, on the bridge pickup the middle pickup had no tone control so it had a bit more oomph

next favorite was the Robert Cray ( another hard tail ) I really like the necks with no skunk stripe also, always needed up cutting the pick guard to give better access to the truss rod .
    I also liked my MIJ 62 reissue ( had a matching tele ) I've also had AVRI, a Custom shop Hendrix ( for 2 days ) and others and my neighbor is a Strat fanatic with to many to count his 58 is really nice :)
    The Jeff Beck I had for a bit had the best trem set up but I couldn't make the sound work for me.

I only have one Strat left its my custom painted MIM with a Mann Trem , Lefty neck , locking tuners if my dad didn't paint it it would be long gone I have more $$ in parts in it than the guitar is worth its mainly wall art, it does play well just not up to my PRS standards these days

[​IMG]IMG_0770 by

[​IMG]IMG_0006 by

[​IMG]IMG_4041 by

g.wizz, ScottR, Alnus Rubra and 2 others like this.
  12. horax

horax New Member

So how's the neck on teh silver sky compared to those you've owned?
    What's it closest to? U, V, C, etc?

13. DickBanks

DickBanks New Member

There is a reason that AA meetings are not held in bars.
    No one is here to talk you out of buying a guitar. :)

g.wizz, ScottR, Black Plaid and 5 others like this.
  14. Zack Matzanias

Zack Matzanias New Member

I'm trying to be strong...

15. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Yeah, even though I love to talk...this one needs no words...just a "gentle" shove.

"Gentle" aka...NHL body check!;)

alantig, bodia, g.wizz and 1 other person like this.
  16. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

As another Robert Cray strat fan (and owner) who just bought a Silver Sky, I'd say the neck profile is really similar to the Cray, a C shape, a lot beefier than the modern Fender "C" but not as fat as some of the really deep C or U necks. The Silver Sky seems a little flatter on the bottom, pretty similar in the shoulders but then the Cray seems a little deeper throughout whereas the Silver Sky seems to flatten out more quickly after you get past the shoulders. If the new rosewood loses some of the shoulders while keeping the rest of the profile, I don't think I'd like that as much. I'd say I slightly prefer the Cray neck but love a soft-V like a Clapton or a Roadworn 50's strat most of any...

-Ray

Super100JH and dmatthews like this.
  17. Callan

Callan hack guitarist..

What do you do re eq for the bridge?
    I have a us dlx strat that is almost wall art too - would love to know if I'm missing some tricks to make it sound good/better.
    Does the same hold true for the SS?

18. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

On your fender ( IMHO ) there are a couple of things you can do.

1) Move the tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup, this will let you roll back the tone a bit on the bridge and gives you a bit more output on the middle pickup. some folks call it the Eric Johnson mod.

I also have put 500k pots in some of my favorite Strats

Last ( or first ) is a pickup change there are SO many single coil pickups that you can custom tune your guitar to you.
    On my old maple neck strat I had a hot neck pickup with the stock mid and bridge and played it backward bridge for lead and middle / bridge for rhythm

No the Silver Sky does not have have these problems there are great sounds to be had on all 5 positions. that is why I have two already and a third is going to happen.

bodia, ScottR and Callan like this.
  19. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Yeah, custom wiring can work - get a tone control on that bridge pickup by hook or by crook. I love the wiring on my Robert Cray - two no-load tone pots (when they’re on 10, it’s like there’s nothing in the circuit) with one wired to the bridge and neck pickups, the other to the center. Since the neck and bridge are never on at the same time, that gives you total independent control of each pickup in any switch position. And running them wide open in the 2 & 4 position really calls up the quack - even just running the middle wide open with the neck or bridge rolled back a little can get pretty magical. I love the logic of it so much I’d love to do something similar to my Silver Sky but with the way they use different value caps to balance the different pickups in the SS and the great results it produces, I wouldn’t change anything in the wiring of that guitar.

The other thing you can do without re-wiring your strat is if you have an equalizer of some sort on your pedal board, work up a setting to use for your strat bridge pickup - I’ve gotton some pretty ice-picky sounding bridge pups sounding quite good that way when I had one without a tone control...

bodia, Super100JH and Callan like this.