Refinishing Advice

polnochio

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to get a 04' PRS Custom 24 from craigslist and it looks pretty worn out..

The stock color is red but I want refinisheit to faded blue using transtint. Does anyone have any experience in removing the stock finish? If so, how do you recommend removing the finish. If I need to use any special stripper and wood bleach and etc.. Any advice would be appreciated..

Go to guitar reranch they have high quality guitar refinishing products and tutorial on refinishing. I refinished 3guitars with there products outstanding results

I'd stay away from strippers, and just go at it with an orbital sander with a mild (200+ grit) sandpaper to keep from tearing up the wood too much. You'll need to remove some wood to get rid of the stain, but youll be able to control it a little better with the lighter paper than if you go at it with something like an 80 grit.

The only reason I'd worry about using a striping chemical is the chance that it could eat in to the glue holding the top and neck to the body... I could be wrong though.

Have you thought about contacting the PTC for a quote?

I sanded the finish off.

This was what was underneath a 2013(?) SECU24 in Black Cherry (red):

You gotta be really careful of the top veneer since it's so thin! This one was damaged in shipping hence the epoxy blobs, but if you sand off the red top coat of color you'll be left with the blackish base stain that you could put some blue over. Be warned it's a hefty job, you might wanna consider waiting until a blue one comes along, unless you're crazy like me.

If the OP is talking about refinishing a Core CU24, then there is no concern about the "top veneer" - the figuring will go all the way through the maple cap. Of course, it will still be challenging, but you'll have a little more leeway sanding-depth-wise.

Unless of course you know of any that are well experienced in wood-working and refinishing...

Wait, what kind of stripper are we talking about???

Doh! All this time I thought my girlfriend was telling me about woodworking and refinishing techniques when she said I could get a stripper for my birthday!

:evil:

I sanded the finish off.

This was what was underneath a 2013(?) SECU24 in Black Cherry (red):

You gotta be really careful of the top veneer since it's so thin! This one was damaged in shipping hence the epoxy blobs, but if you sand off the red top coat of color you'll be left with the blackish base stain that you could put some blue over. Be warned it's a hefty job, you might wanna consider waiting until a blue one comes along, unless you're crazy like me.

That's and SE right?? I'm buying a Custom 24 so the top should be solid.. So It shouldn't be a problem. Did you just kept sanding until you got to the paint? Or did you use something else?

If the OP is talking about refinishing a Core CU24, then there is no concern about the "top veneer" - the figuring will go all the way through the maple cap. Of course, it will still be challenging, but you'll have a little more leeway sanding-depth-wise.

I'm buying a 2006 CU24.. It's Black Cherry.. I'm guessing the base coat is black stain and red dye as the finishing coat.. So i think it will have some black.. I was thinking maybe bleach it like on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iBPDD8VvQ

Do you happen to know anything about this.. I've never refinished a guitar but I do have an extra guitar that I can practice on

I have no experience or useful advice to give regarding refinishing a guitar. I'm not even sure I've ever refinished a piece of furniture...maybe a long time ago...

I tried to refinish a guitar once. Disaster! I'll never do that again.
Regarding PRS, I would have them do the refinish.
If you really want to refinish something, try it on a cheaper guitar.
The guitar body I tried to refinish went to the landfill and I bought a replacement body online.

prs_schleif.jpg

ref=as_li_ss_tl

prs_schleif2.jpg

That's and SE right?? I'm buying a Custom 24 so the top should be solid.. So It shouldn't be a problem. Did you just kept sanding until you got to the paint? Or did you use something else?

Oh yeah! It is a SE, my bad, but yes, I just kept sanding. I did the same thing with a Core CE:

Just be careful with the contours, you don't wanna mellow the lines out.

Good Luck! I hope we get to see a project from you! They're hella fun!

Oh yeah! It is a SE, my bad, but yes, I just kept sanding. I did the same thing with a Core CE:

Just be careful with the contours, you don't wanna mellow the lines out.

Good Luck! I hope we get to see a project from you! They're hella fun!

Nice! man... I'm glad to see others doing this.. When you sanded of the finish did you get any remnants of the old stain. Like the SE that you sanded.. How thick is that natural binding area about 1/4"?

Nice! man... I'm glad to see others doing this.. When you sanded of the finish did you get any remnants of the old stain. Like the SE that you sanded.. How thick is that natural binding area about 1/4"?

Yeah, there was a bit of the old base coat stain, but not too bad if you're going from lighter to darker.. which is part of why I went opaque for the top, and there is about a 1/4" at the thinnest part of the "binding".

I tried to refinish a guitar once. Disaster! I'll never do that again.
Regarding PRS, I would have them do the refinish.
If you really want to refinish something, try it on a cheaper guitar.
The guitar body I tried to refinish went to the landfill and I bought a replacement body online.

+1000

:D

Back