Reducing Blue Finish Fade

WorstBandName

Hi,

I've read a number of older posts about blue finishes, particularly northern lights, being prone to fading. It seems like the general advice is to 1) always keep the guitar in the case when not being played, 2) avoid direct sunlight entirely, and 3) minimize indirect sunlight as much as possible.

But, I gather that all light, even indoor lighting, will have an impact.

So, aside from the three listed above, do anyone have other tips? Are there certain kids of lightbulbs or light filters that would help slow the process as well? Is dim room lighting strictly better than average room brightness?

I don't believe that (most) guitars are museum pieces and should be played, but I also believe in proper care as well so I would like to be as mindful as I can be.

Thanks for your time!

Mike

If you don't like option #1, you are pretty much stuck with keeping it in low light as much as possible.

Or just sand it down to bare wood. If you have no finish, it can't fade.

If you don't like option #1, you are pretty much stuck with keeping it in low light as much as possible.

Or just sand it down to bare wood. If you have no finish, it can't fade.

I follow option 1 with all my guitars. I came back to electrics from years of high-end acoustic guitars that can be very temperamental and keeping them in the case solves about 80% of the concerns. I'm trying to consider advice beyond that when the guitar is out of the case. Thanks for the reply!

I don't really even have the discipline to put a guitar back onto the stand let alone the case. Hence my 2009 McSoaporina is currently leaning against the front of my couch and has been for several days (between bouts of playing). And just to emphasize the laziness, the stand I could put it on is at the end of the couch about 3' from where it currently rests.

Not that I have any huge understanding of this, but it's likely UV light that's the culprit. Incandescent bulbs are fine, LEDs are fine, fluorescents are bad. Bad for color photos and anything else that's susceptible to fading.

In theory you could "clear bra" the guitar like a car...but I have no idea how the finish (V12, Nitro, etc.) would react to the film or even worse when you need to take it off for whatever reason.

Not that I have any huge understanding of this, but it's likely UV light that's the culprit. Incandescent bulbs are fine, LEDs are fine, fluorescents are bad. Bad for color photos and anything else that's susceptible to fading.

Yeah, the UV is the culprit, so typical indoor lightbulbs and LEDs should be fine, but you want to block direct and indirect sunlight, light from tanning beds, fluorescent lights, etc.

And none of these lights will penetrate through a closed case. ;) :D

Back