Recommendations on which PRS

Naquat

I thought I'd come to the source and ask advice on which PRS model to look for.

I'd like to get a PRS - preferably not an SE.

I haven't played a CE22 but I like the look, not the headstock so much, and do not want a Rotary Switch and not sure I'd want to mod a CE22 pots/selector switch to my needs although I could.

Is there something with these specs?

I do not like big curvy pickguards
22 Fret, binding or not, I prefer Dots to Birds.
Fender or Ibanez JS style neck feel
2 Humbuckers
Volume, Tone, Selector Switch 2 or 4 knob setup
Different headstock shape if possible - The point seems too easy to damage.
Used - $800 - $1200
Is this possible?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I realize Reverb and Ebay have literally thousands of PRS guitars to choose from. Even if I set a limit of $1300 on Reverb almost 2000 guitars come up. That was the reason for my inquiry here. Thanks toothace.

CE22 would be the ticket for your price range in core models.

You might get lucky and find a McCarty for 1200 used but you might wait a,while.

I hated the rotary when I first tried it but it's not so bad.

Ce 22 can be found with toggle on ebay.

As far as the headstock..............

I thought I'd come to the source and ask advice on which PRS model to look for.

I'd like to get a PRS - preferably not an SE.

I haven't played a CE22 but I like the look, not the headstock so much, and do not want a Rotary Switch and not sure I'd want to mod a CE22 pots/selector switch to my needs although I could.

Is there something with these specs?

I do not like big curvy pickguards
22 Fret, binding or not, I prefer Dots to Birds.
Fender or Ibanez JS style neck feel
2 Humbuckers
Volume, Tone, Selector Switch 2 or 4 knob setup
Different headstock shape if possible - The point seems too easy to damage.
Used - $800 - $1200
Is this possible?

Thanks!

I can't think of any that fit ALL those criteria. The only guitar that springs to mind with a different headstock is the Santana which still has the pointy wings but not the pointy end - not that any of mine are damaged. Most have birds but there are a few 'moons' about - look at the DGT. I don't really know what a Fender neck is like as I don't like Fender's (or scratch plates) aesthetically and the only Ibanez necks I have played are all very thin and quite flat fretboards. Rotary switches haven't been used for a while at least not as standard either. I live in the UK so can't help with the price point either.

I would suggest going to a guitar shop and trying a PRS or two. I do think you will struggle to find many PRS models without a PRS type headstock though... CE's are bolt on so you maybe able to change the neck.

Mira X has a smaller pick guard, but it might still be too big for your tastes. Not sure what neck carves were available for those.

You're not going to have much luck with a different headstock.

I don't believe the headstock takes an extra damage just because it's pointy. The only one I've damaged was because I lost my mind and was pushing it into the front of a speaker cab with a metal grill. D'oh! I can't speak to neck shapes since I've never touched a Satriani.

But you should be able to find lots of used Customs and McCartys with toggle switches from years gone by in that price range. Reverb would be a great place to look. The icing on the cake is that dots will knock down the price noticeably.

A used CE will accomplish most of this as well. The previous generation ones can be found with 22 frets, wide/thin or wide/fat neck shapes, dot inlays, 3-way pickup toggle switch, and off course in the bolt-on maple neck configuration. And likely within your price range.

The headstock shape is the headstock shape, just like with most other manufacturers.

... I lost my mind and was pushing it into the front of a speaker cab with a metal grill.
Well of course you did, that’s where the demons come out! :eek:

The Satriani neck is wonderful but completely unPRS like. More of a soft C...very comfortable but also not like their Wizard carve. Not really close to a WT or Pattern Thin, either. Someday I hope to spend a lot more time with my son’s JS1200 again for just this reason.

Thank you all for the input so far.

Gigi, no, I'm not 100% sure I want a PRS. I did have an SE Bernie Marsden. It played great, had a lot of sustain, and although I'm not a fan of thick necks that one didn't bother me at all. The only reason I didn't keep it was because of the shorter scale length which I wasn't comfortable with in the upper register. At one point I had a set of 70's Gibson T-Top pickups and it sounded great.

If I can find that in a plain looking double cut, preferably hardtail, in a 25" - 25.5" scale with the same great playability I'd go down that road.

Back