Recessed control cavity plates on S2 and CE

presence

I was looking at $400 guitar kits and noticed that they all have a bevel in the control cavity on the back of the guitar so the backplates are recessed. I don't know if this area is sanded on the kits, but it's a nice touch.

Knowing nothing about guitar manufacturing, it would seem that doing this on the S2 and CE control cavities would be a fairly easy thing to do with a CNC router. It may require a bit more sanding, I don't know.

I'm not crazy about the backplates sticking out. It looks cheap in my opinion. The old CEs had recessed control cavity plates, but that was a different manufacturing process at a different factory I think.

Obviously the reason comes down to labor costs, but I wonder if people wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for recessed backplates. Maybe I'm the only one who cares or notices, I don't know.

Just my two cents...

Hate to admit it but it was one of the reasons I ended up selling on my S2 McCarty. I love the lines on my Cores and the non recessed plates always triggered my OCD.

Not sure why they do it, other than to say must be a manufacturing time/cost saver.

I was a little disappointed when I got my first S2 and saw the raised covers, but they haven’t caused me a bit of trouble. In fact, if I’m going to make lemonade from lemons, they’re actually easier to remove once the screws are out, so there’s that.

If I could have all my dreams come true, they would be recessed, but had I gotten rid of the guitar because of it, I’d have missed out on a great instrument.

I don’t get it either. On my SE - recessed electronics cavity plate, but not recessed trem plate. The CNC bit is already 2 inches away... just spend an extra 4 seconds to cut the other recess.

It's not a big deal. Nothing you notice while playing. It avoids extra steps/tool changes/sanding which lets them hit a target price with US labor.

Of course, it does change the tone of the guitar which is unfortunate and really bugs some people. ;-)

Glad to see I'm not the only OCD freak on here. I don't think the inside of the cavity needs to be buffed-out and well-sanded. Just give us some recessed backplates and charge an extra $20.

By way of comparison, Gibson has recessed backplates on their $1,500 - $1,800 Original collection SGs. But they're also using PCB electronics instead of handwiring.

It's interesting that the S2 McCarty 594 Thinline is $1,549 and the Gibson Original SG is $1,799.

The SGs are cool, but the the PRS is so much more value for money, and $250 cheaper.

There are a lot of things PRS had to do throughout the S2 to have the guitar meet its price point, and it's impressive that the guitars are so darn good.

Strats from Fender's Custom Shop, Tom Anderson and Suhr put raised backplates on their guitars, too, and they're all two or three times the price of an S2. For PRS to offer a guitar of the S2's quality for a fraction of the cost of these guitars is a real achievement. A run-of-the-mill Gibson does not compare to the S2 (just my opinion, and in fact, my '65 SG Special is not nearly as good).

If a person requires recessed backplates and other refinements to be happy - things that I agree desirable cosmetic features - the Core model is a worthwhile investment that will rarely disappoint even the most discerning players. This may just be my opinion, but often players who complain about the higher cost of a Core model will have several lesser guitars; I'd rather have one great guitar than a dozen compromised models, but that's just the way my crazy mind works.

Not saying anyone else with other priorities is somehow wrong, it's all a matter of personal preference. Nonetheless, if you need to save money on a guitar, be prepared to make some minor sacrifices. The S2 is a great guitar line.

It may also have something to do with clearance and depth of wood left over when the trem cavity is cut and the pickup routs are taken from the top.

Think integrity of the body.

I only say this because I have a set of plans for a well known trem equipped guitar. The side elevation shows just how little material is left between the two routs.

I may be talking a load of rubbish!

I'd rather have one great guitar than a dozen compromised models, but that's just the way my crazy mind works.

This is totally my philosophy too. I have a small place too so can't have 10's of guitars and this also plays a role in the guitars I have.

I am a bit OCD about recessed back plates myself. It would be nice if ALL PRS models came with recessed backplates but I accept that they don't and that I have a choice - either compromise on that myself or save up and buy a guitar that, like me, isn't 'compromised' to hit a price point.

Not saying anyone else with other priorities is somehow wrong, it's all a matter of personal preference. Nonetheless, if you need to save money on a guitar, be prepared to make some minor sacrifices. The S2 is a great guitar line.

I totally agree!!! At every price point, whether that's the SE line, S2 range, Bolt-on Series or Core+, the guitars are great and compete very well with other guitars you could buy for that money. If part of the reason they are so good at the price they are is because of not recessing the backplates, then I think its probably the right choice too. Its better to compromise on that than on some more important aspects.

If you are not willing to compromise on 'details', then buy a guitar that doesn't compromise on the 'details'

Back