Quilted Top on an SE Custom 24-08?

luckychucky

Hello, everyone! New to the community eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first PRS, an SE Custom 24-08. I noticed Sweetwater has an exclusive 24-08 in a faded blue "burst" with what looks like a quilted (what!?) top and matching headstock for about $50 more. I have to say I am smitten with the look of that guitar, but I called Sweetwater and it won't be restocked until August. I'm tempted to wait.

Has there ever been an SE offered in a quilted top? Maybe it's not even technically quilted, but it certainly looks a higher grade top than the normal flamed top in faded blue. The listing doesn't specifically say anything about the top being quilted, so I wasn't sure if they always come with those of kind figures. I saw a guy on Twitter had this model and his top resembled the picture.

Could something like this become highly collectible down the road? Seems to me like an incredible value for $50 more. I just don't know if I can wait until August to get a PRS.

My 30th SE Cu24 has a quilted top and they are out there. I have my doubts an SE will be highly collectible. Sure, some discontinued SE models may fetch a premium, but I wouldn't say highly collectible. Thing is PRS releases all sorts of limited runs on multiple lines. Rather its SE, S2, WL, or whatever else. It's part of the PRS model. Excellent marketing but highly collectible, not really.

Yep, quilted SEs are out there, some have had it offered as a standard feature. They put a thin figured veneer over a thicker (presumably plainer) maple to make those. That's way less expensive than the thick figured caps they put on the higher-end guitars. Like others, I doubt it'll make that guitar significantly more valuable down the road.

My 30th SE Cu24 has a quilted top and they are out there. I have my doubts an SE will be highly collectible. Sure, some discontinued SE models may fetch a premium, but I wouldn't say highly collectible. Thing is PRS releases all sorts of limited runs on multiple lines. Rather its SE, S2, WL, or whatever else. It's part of the PRS model. Excellent marketing but highly collectible, not really.
You never know what might become collectible. I bought a student model Gibson in ‘72 (ES 125 single cutaway dual pup cherry sunburst) for not much over $100. That guitar is now fetching $2000 on Reverb. Not mine. I modded mine. Made it an awesome guitar but not as collectible. Even so, even with most of the frets worn down, it was valuable enough to trade for a new SE Custom 24 and a nice case. You just never know.

You never know what might become collectible. I bought a student model Gibson in ‘72 (ES 125 single cutaway dual pup cherry sunburst) for not much over $100. That guitar is now fetching $2000 on Reverb. Not mine. I modded mine. Made it an awesome guitar but not as collectible. Even so, even with most of the frets worn down, it was valuable enough to trade for a new SE Custom 24 and a nice case. You just never know.
I'll take that bet at any odds.. I still stand in the no camp, but I guess it could snow in Florida today.. lol

So the ES is worth $200 in 1972 dollars instead of $100? Still not sure I'd call it collectible.

I'd say that the SEs aren't going to become collectible, at least not for a loooong time.

Hey, if you're still around in 2073, I'll be dead, but you can probably contact me via Ouija Board and let me know how my guess went.

My handle will be Accordionist In Hell.

I'd say that the SEs aren't going to become collectible, at least not for a loooong time.

Hey, if you're still around in 2073, I'll be dead, but you can probably contact me via Ouija Board and let me know how my guess went.

My handle will be Accordionist In Hell.

But how would he distinguish you from all the other musicians in hell, as accordion will be the only instrument allowed?

Back