Questions about 1991 Custom Studio

drbob1

I have a chance to buy this guitar. It's in great shape and plays wonderfully but there are two questions:
1. It really looks like an Ebony fretboard. Was this an option?
2. The back of the neck has a satin rather than gloss finish. It goes up onto the ears of the headstock symmetrically, seems very well done. Was this an option or an aftermarket mod?

And for the bonus, how much does the "scuffing" of the neck change the value if it IS aftermarket?

Shawn, or somebody from PRS, would be the definitive source for this but here goes:

1. I'm pretty sure the first time PRS used ebony fretboards was on the 10th Anniversary model (circa 1995). Chances are it's just really dark Brazilian rosewood.
  2. I've owned a lot of PRS guitars from 1985-1991 and not one had a satin neck. Chances are it's an after market modification.

The Studio model never reached those stratospheric collector prices the Custom did but any deviation from the guitar's original state is going to make an impact. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks. On the basis of some other advice, I'm probably going to pass on the guitar. It was $1800 which seems a bit high (although it would be a great price for a regular 91 Cu24).

Back