Question to Custom 24 Top 10 1997

keithno

Hi, i am trying to find out which pickups are used in my Custom 24.. its from 1997, anyone that can help me here? :) Thx!
and, i found this statement online:

To make “10-Top” status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entiretop with no “dead” spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will usually have a small “10” written or stamped on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner.

Mine is supposed to be a 10-Top.. and does not have any "dead" spots, but does not have a small "10" on the headstock????

Last edited:
Cu24's in that time frame had the HFS/Vintage pickups installed.

Look inside the pickup cavities for a 10 marked in there. The case candy should list it if you still have it. It could also be an Artist top as they look like a 10 top but do not put the 10 on the headstock.

Look inside the pickup cavities for a 10 marked in there. The case candy should list it if you still have it. It could also be an Artist top as they look like a 10 top but do not put the 10 on the headstock.
Thanks!! Will do! :) unfortunately i don't have the "case candy"..

[The case candy or the MODCAT should tell you if the Guitar is a 10-top or better (Artist for example). If you bought it used, there is a possibility that the seller has sold it as a 10top to get a bit more money from it and you could have 9.9999 top instead.

The advice from @AP515 is great and, whilst you are looking under the Pick-ups, write down the MODCAT too and, if you don't get the answers from looking in the Pick-up Cavity, the MODCAT number can be used to verify if it's a 10-top, Artist or even just a great looking non-10top core.

The only advantage of a 10top is that they can sell for a bit more money on the used market but without the case candy, that advantage could disappear. If its not a 10top, you still have a fantastic instrument that (I assume) looks great - good enough to pass as a 10-top or better based on your description. The only reason I say this is so that you shouldn't worry to much about the grading of the top - its just a cosmetic grading that doesn't change the playability or the tone - no more than any other Cu24 built with the same natural materials. All a 10-top designation means is that the top is adjudged to look better than the majority of other Maple tops they made. Its all about having a prettier top which can be divisive - People questioning why one top is a 10 top whilst a regular top hasn't made it to be a 10-top.

Regardless of whether your 97 Custom 24 is actually a 10top or not, I assume you bought it to play and therefore should just enjoy the instrument.

... whilst you are looking under the Pick-ups, write down the MODCAT too and, if you don't get the answers from looking in the Pick-up Cavity, the MODCAT number can be used to verify if it's a 10-top, Artist or even just a great looking non-10top core.
Yeah I was going to say look at the MODCAT but I'm not sure when that system was put in place. It may be that 97 is too early for the guitar to have a MODCAT. I guess we'll see.

As AP515 states, it should have HotFatScreamin'/Vintage pups. I'd be 90% sure of this. Great pups btw.

I have a '91 CU24. When I bought it used a few years back, the staff at GC remarked how they couldn't believe that it wasn't a 10 Top. I get it home and curiosity takes over as this guitar had every option on it. Gold hardware, birds, and the bridge pickup was a Vintage Hot instead of the HFS. So I got into some better light, and using a flashlight, I found that the 10 was stamped in the wood below the clear coat. It is milky white and not visible right away. I only really noticed it because I was grabbing the serial number to email PRS with. Look at that upper right hand corner above the inked serial number.

Back