Question, PRS Need Neck Binding or No ?

Not a fan of binding...at all. I've already had fret jobs done on two of my PRSs. If they had bound necks, it would've been a major pain in the butt!

Not a fan of binding...at all. I've already had fret jobs done on two of my PRSs. If they had bound necks, it would've been a major pain in the butt!

Really why did you have to have fret work done already?, unless the guitars were 20 years old or more, otherwise, you needing fret work on two PRS's is not a good sign, and honestly makes me nervous about my up coming Custom 22 purchase....Please let me know why you needed it, and how old the guitars are, and how often you played.
Thanks.

Really why did you have to have fret work done already?, unless the guitars were 20 years old or more, otherwise, you needing fret work on two PRS's is not a good sign, and honestly makes me nervous about my up coming Custom 22 purchase....Please let me know why you needed it, and how old the guitars are, and how often you played.
Thanks.

People wear frets out at vastly different rates. I recently had a CU22 Soapbar that I bought used for my son in 2000, and that I later played when I bought it from him in 2012. It saw a ton of use and had no fret wear at all. His touch is heavier than mine, and he had it a lot longer.

But I also have a 1965 Gibson SG Special that's been in my family since new, and mine since 1967. And it's never needed a fret job. So that's about 50 years of use. As I said, different people wear frets differently.

However, any guitar is going to eventually show signs of use and normal wear and tear. There isn't such a thing as a guitar that will stay new forever or that will never, ever need work on parts subject to wear.

Reading some of the questions you've posted, I'd guess that wear and tear is a major concern for you. No one can predict how fast you'll wear out frets, how fast you'll wear a finish, etc. If you're truly concerned about this stuff - and I sure wouldn't be - it might serve you well to post a poll here and get information from a larger sample size than one individual who had to replace his frets. If the results are cause for further concern, maybe a PRS won't be your thing?

Last edited:
People wear frets out at vastly different rates. I recently had a CU22 Soapbar that I bought used for my son in 2000, and that I later played when I bought it from him in 2012. It saw a ton of use and had no fret wear at all. His touch is heavier than mine, and he had it a lot longer.

But I also have a 1965 Gibson SG Special that's been in my family since new, and mine since 1967. And it's never needed a fret job. So that's about 50 years of use. As I said, different people wear frets differently.

However, any guitar is going to eventually show signs of use and normal wear and tear. There isn't such a thing as a guitar that will stay new forever or that will never, ever need work on parts subject to wear.

Reading some of the questions you've posted, I'd guess that wear and tear is a major concern for you. No one can predict how fast you'll wear out frets, how fast you'll wear a finish, etc. If you're truly concerned about this stuff - and I sure wouldn't be - it might serve you well to post a poll here and get information from a larger sample size than one individual who had to replace his frets. If the results are cause for further concern, maybe a PRS won't be your thing?

No i'm not concerned I know how I play and between my style of playing and how much or little I actually get to play, I know I won't be wearing out my frets or finish for many years to come.

I can go either way on binding both body and neck varieties. The Natural wood body binding on my MC58 as FAN(friggen)TASTIC looking and I wouldn't be without it. The cream neck binding is true to the "Vintage vibe" that I feel comes with this guitar. It was designed to be the PRS that would have been built back in the days of the classic 57/58/59 Les Paul's (Which boasted body and neck binding) so for me...it ALL works!

If I was to buy a PRS CU22 or 24, 513, Paul's or any of the modern variety PRS guitars then I might not go for the binding as they are modern axes and I equate binding with vintage older school guitars.

The preceding opinion + $.98 will get you a dollar.

No i'm not concerned I know how I play and between my style of playing and how much or little I actually get to play, I know I won't be wearing out my frets or finish for many years to come.

I think you'll love your PRS. Seriously!

They need a few models with it. I sing lead vocals & play lead guitar and my eyes are bad in stage light. I don't use my PRS guitars on stage anymore because I can't see to move up to the higher frets when doing vocals. It's not a problem when just playing the guitar, but if I have to go above the 12th fret from lower positions when doing vocals, it's hit or miss. It is especially bad with my favorite player--a Mira Korina with the "outline" birds. I don't know who came up with the idea of the outline birds, but it was really, really BAD. The other problem I have found is that the brass colored side dot markers are the same color as the frets in stage light. With a quick glance, it's hard to tell which are dots and which are frets. I love playing my Mira Korina, so I bought some of those glow in the dark dots from Japan and took it to a guitar tech who has done PRS custom shop inlay work. Because the dot markers are metal, he said he was not comfortable drilling them out to install the glow dots.

Now it's up for sale on eBay because I can't use it for anything but practicing....that's what my CU24 is for.

I might buy a used PRS Korina Singlecut SE if I can find one with birds. It has a white neck binding.

EDIT: Sorry, I was answering the question on the thread title and didn't realize that the topic was slightly different. In regard to the actual topic, if your eyes are good, you probably won't miss the binding.

Last edited:
0DrvPpW.jpg

I didn't know, but I've just checked and more than half of my guitars have neck binding. It really makes no difference at all (or I wouldn't have to check right?). I would not want nibs though. I would sooner have fret sprout than nibs.

It may be that bound necks tend to be less rolled. If so, that's a good thing AFAIC.

PRS guitars don't 'need' neck binding and the only neck binding I like is wood binding. Whether a guitar has it or not has absolutely no impact on whether I would buy the guitar or not. The fret work and rolled edges is far more important than whether or not it has a strip of plastic down each side.

Thanks.

When those guitars got refretted, they were definitely due. Play the snot out of them for lotsa years, and this is what happens. Don't be nervous, just play 'em hard. They're tools, not dolls.

All I remember about that movie is the naked chick dancing on top a tomb in a cemetery. o_OPuberty was much stronger than my fear of a zombie apocalypse, at the time anyway.

Agreed. That was one of the nice things about that particular era of horror films: there was always a little T&A to offset all the killing.

Agreed. That was one of the nice things about that particular era of horror films: there was always a little T&A to offset all the killing.

Exactly...Nightmare on Elm Street however...didn't have enough T or A to make up for it...now THAT one scared the "horndog" right outta me...for like 45 whole minutes...it was traumatic.

Last edited:
Exactly...Nigjtmare on Elm Street however...didn't have enough T or A to make up for it...now THAT one scared the "horndog" right outta me...for like 45 whole minutes...it was traumatic.

Oh, I still can’t take a bath without thinking of Freddy when I have to go under to rinse my hair!

I tried watching the remake about a week ago and it was awful.

Back