Question for the Private Stock informed...

clasbtenn

What is the difference in the mahogany types such as regular mahogany normally used for necks, Honduran, Peruvian, Sinker, etc. in how it affects tone, or other characteristics that would cause someone to desire one type over another type of mahogany being offered?

I have not been able to get a clear answer on this, and my dealer is going to the company next month to choose and order my ps .

Thank you. :)

I believe the current configuration of preference for mahogany is a heavy neck/light body. I cannot recall which specific species meet these criteria......anyone?:confused:

Very difficult question to give a definitive answer to.

Any of the 'regular' mahogany in the private stock vault will give you a good neck. There are some cosmetic choices you could make.

I can't comment on Honduran because I've never used it.

I'm a big fan of Peruvian. I have two and believe they are a bit more articulate - by that I mean better note definition. I also think it results in a bit more emphasis on lows and miss - not to the extreme that Braz is noted for - much more subtle, but enough to give it an edge for me because I like that in most of what I play.

Sinker was marketing speak for dense - dense enough to sink in water. It was quite controversial because the term was used differently from the rest of the industry, so I don't think you are likely to find anything with that label in the vault.

For Bodies, my experience is that the South American stuff leans toward a sweeter top end and dense mid-range; The African stuff is balanced and more bite in the top end and defined low end. I only order the African variety on bodies these days. Love the Peruvian variety for the neck.

I believe the characteristics of your neck blank (how quartersawn is the billet through it's entire length; what is its resonance; figure and color; grain consistency vs. defects) should be scrutinized aside from the species. The species matters, of course, and while it is not likely you would find a dud neck blank in the Vault, each of those choices will give you an individual result. Neck material selection is just one decision amongst an entire menu of selections, so have fun with the process. Generally, the denser the wood, the higher the resonant frequency, so if you like treble and attack, go dense (sinker). If you like mellow note bloom, go lighter. The PS team will guide you.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, so am subscribing to this thread.

In lieu of anything else, I was going to just start the process, and ask the PS team when it came time to pick woods. In lieu of an answer there, I was just going to go with rock maple, just because that's the one I have and I love it.

I believe the characteristics of your neck blank (how quartersawn is the billet through it's entire length; what is its resonance; figure and color; grain consistency vs. defects) should be scrutinized aside from the species. The species matters, of course, and while it is not likely you would find a dud neck blank in the Vault, each of those choices will give you an individual result. Neck material selection is just one decision amongst an entire menu of selections, so have fun with the process. Generally, the denser the wood, the higher the resonant frequency, so if you like treble and attack, go dense (sinker). If you like mellow note bloom, go lighter. The PS team will guide you.

What he said.

When I did my build, I knew I was getting IRW for the neck. Knew it. Wasn't even something I was thinking about. Would have done BRW because I love braz, but I didn't want to spend the money. I knew I didn't want maple, and being PS, I didn't want mahogany on this one.

When I got the top picked out after what must have seemed like 8-9 days to Brian, Tina and Paul, we moved on to the neck. Brian pulled out the IRW blanks and I went to work. Then he said, "Oh, here's some Honduran rosewood. It's not as dark, but it's really nice, and good for necks." Definitely lighter in color, but when I tapped it, huge difference in the tone I heard. Much more musical than the IRW. That may have partially been due to the IRW being at least partly carved, but it was noticeable. So I ended up with Honduran. And haven't regretted it for a second.

So have an idea. Have a preference. Even have a decision. But - especially if you're going to the vault - go in with open ears.

In lieu of anything else, I was going to just start the process, and ask the PS team when it came time to pick woods. In lieu of an answer there, I was just going to go with rock maple, just because that's the one I have and I love it.
They know more about it than any of us. If you like a maple neck, just go with that. I like mine. You can get lots of great looking maple neck blanks too.

What he said.

When I did my build, I knew I was getting IRW for the neck. Knew it. Wasn't even something I was thinking about. Would have done BRW because I love braz, but I didn't want to spend the money. I knew I didn't want maple, and being PS, I didn't want mahogany on this one.

When I got the top picked out after what must have seemed like 8-9 days to Brian, Tina and Paul, we moved on to the neck. Brian pulled out the IRW blanks and I went to work. Then he said, "Oh, here's some Honduran rosewood. It's not as dark, but it's really nice, and good for necks." Definitely lighter in color, but when I tapped it, huge difference in the tone I heard. Much more musical than the IRW. That may have partially been due to the IRW being at least partly carved, but it was noticeable. So I ended up with Honduran. And haven't regretted it for a second.

So have an idea. Have a preference. Even have a decision. But - especially if you're going to the vault - go in with open ears.
Being as Honduran Rosewood is used to make marimba bars, you made a fine choice.

I have Peruvian on my CU24 30th Anniversary PS, and had it on my first PRS acoustic, and Artist V. I love the tone on the CU24, and equally loved the tones on the other two I unfortunately no longer have. It's a beautifully resonant wood, IMHO. In fact, this wood really opened my eyes to the importance of neck wood tones.

So did the sinker mahogany on my Signature Limited; the guitar had a great tone, but of course with the very different pickups it's difficult to make a direct comparison.

I don't know what kind of mahogany is on the neck of the 20th PS Anni guitar, or my WL McCarty, but they both also sound great. I also don't know much about the type of mahogany that was on other PRSes I've owned over the years; I didn't think to ask. :(

All of my current electrics have an African ribbon mahogany back. I don't know what that does vs other types of mahogany, to be honest, but it sure looks beautiful and feels lighter than other types of mahogany I've had on other PRS guitars. And I'm truly happy with the tone of the instruments. They're certainly at the very least the equal of other mahogany types, if not an improvement -- but it's hard to know what causes what on this stuff.

Fretboards: I have three with Madagascar rosewood fretboards, and one with Brazilian. The Madagascar came on all three of my PS electrics, and the guitars sound gorgeous. My WL McCarty has the Brazilian, and it's perhaps got a little more snap or twang, but that might have nothing whatsoever to do with the type of fretboard.

Of the ones I have, I'll have to say that my most beautiful sounding guitar is the 20th PS Anniversary Limited model. It's got a bit thicker mahogany back; I have no idea what kind of mahogany neck; and the Madagascar fretboard. But...it also has the Paul's pickups and the Narrowfield middle pickup, and they're different from the others, so...apples to oranges, maybe. Honestly, they all sound amazing.

I'm not sure I have much of a point to make, except that I'm confident that whatever you choose, you're going to wind up a very happy camper. It's hard to screw this up, they are amazing at what they do.

What he said.

That is exactly my dilemma. I will not be able to go to the vault. Brian and Corey will be there to pick for me.
All I want is to be able to be a part of the process, even from a long distance away.

I did contact the private stock team through customer service, and they are going to get back to me on what their thoughts are, based on the info I gave them.

That is exactly my dilemma. I will not be able to go to the vault. Brian and Corey will be there to pick for me.
All I want is to be able to be a part of the process, even from a long distance away.

I did contact the private stock team through customer service, and they are going to get back to me on what their thoughts are, based on the info I gave them.

Skype? FaceTime? Periscope? It's not quite being in the room, but it would allow you to have some real-time (or near real-time) input.

When Markie, Tim, and I all built our double necks on the same day, we had Tim in Australia on Ipad Facetime (WIFI) through the entire process. We showed him samples of wood from which to choose. I particularly remember finding the "chevron" matching maple necks and showing them to him.

If you like a maple neck, just go with that.
But all I have to compare it with is mahogany! I've never tried rosewood or ziricote or ebony...I really really like what Paul said at this last experience, about minimizing what the guitar takes away in various frequency regions. We all want woods that take away the least in all frequency regions, but if I had to prioritize, I'd go: take away the least from the treble and the high frequencies, then mids, then bass. I would think that would mean the hardest densest heaviest woods, but I've recently been introduced to the concept that "dense" is not the same as "inert".

But all I have to compare it with is mahogany! I've never tried rosewood or ziricote or ebony...I really really like what Paul said at this last experience, about minimizing what the guitar takes away in various frequency regions. We all want woods that take away the least in all frequency regions, but if I had to prioritize, I'd go: take away the least from the treble and the high frequencies, then mids, then bass. I would think that would mean the hardest densest heaviest woods, but I've recently been introduced to the concept that "dense" is not the same as "inert".
I get that. Dense definitely does not imply inert.

I tried quite a few neck combinations. I think if I had to pick one that subtracted the least across the frequency range I would go with Peruvian mahogany. I know it is a simplistic generalization, but I feel rosewood emphasizes the lows and miss and maple the minds to highs.
Stick an ebony board on the Peruvian and you will have a very well balanced neck.

Excellent observation. I've had thoughts on this for some time. My guess is that a balance is required.

If we attach a string to something absolutely immovable and inert, like a road, the string would have excellent sustain because no energy is wasted on vibrating the road. We learn in school that energy equals force multiplied by distance moved, so since the road does not move, no energy is wasted on the road and your picking energy goes entirely into the string. BUT that would also mean the road does not add its own vibration characteristics to the string vibration. If we have a piece of wood that's as dense and immovable as the road, we are not going to get a nice woody sound. All we'll get is a charmless sterile metal sound, because only the metal string is vibrating
Exactly. But to me, that charmless sterile sound is kind of appealing, because it would force me to compensate by writing or playing particularly "charming" or otherwise charismatic music. I've heard this when I tried carbon fiber acoustic guitars -- they just don't have the personality of wood acoustic guitars, but I kind of liked it, because I caught myself listening less to the tone and more to the music.

Also, check out the Janka ratings that has recently been making the rounds in guitar discussion groups:
http://miscrandom.com/picture/81112/how-hard-is-the-wood?/

Here are the top ten densest woods supposedly known to man:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/top-ten-heaviest-woods/

Now those are some sinker. I must admit that I thought Lignum Vitae was the heaviest. Grows in the Bahamas and Carribean.

I traded a guy in Jamaica a watch for a Lignum Vitae carving of an alligator +/- 35 years ago. Barely fit in my suitcase and about killed me carrying it home. No bag weight restrictions back then as I recall. I still have that gator, but it doesn't keep time as well as the watch did.

Last edited:
Back