Question for John Mann...

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello John, and everyone else...

I thought of sending this message to John directly, but though others may be interested as well, so I elected to make this public. First off, let me say that the original MannMade trem is my all-time favorite tremolo. I've replaced the trems on a Strat and my PRSes that have the newer 2-piece trem with MannMades. I even spec'd a MannMade with unplated brass saddles on my Private Stock. To say that I love them would be a huge understatement.

However, I've noticed with Strats, replacing the stock inertia blocks with the vintage-style cold rolled steel dramatically improved the tone. It's my understanding that the original PRS trem was made of cast bronze with nickel plating. I was just wondering if MannMade has considered making a trem using vintage-style steel? Is it typically too bright with a PRS? I'd personally like to try one.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of steel PRS use, but there some examples of core PRS guitars with a steel block, some DC3s, NF3s, 305s and Brent Mason's (?) have them. I have one in my 624 (ex-DC3), but considering it's so different from any other PRS (Alder body, bolt on maple neck and board, 408s) it's really hard to tell how much the steel block is contributing to the overall tone/dynamics.

I've mentioned before I have a few iterations of US/MannMade trems, and will one day get around to swapping them around in the same body and recording the results. One day!

The SE line also uses a steel block, but it certainly looks "lower grade" (maybe cast) compared to the US version.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you're interested in a steel block, they're out there... Also I think Callaham do one already too, but obv a MannMade one would be preferable!

I don't want a steel block. The MilCom/ MannMade is one solid chunk of metal with saddles screwed on.

First off... Happy Holidays everyone B-)

Secondly.. Lets get some facts straight...

Phase I bridge = Mil-Com (aka John Mann, MannMade USA) one piece trem, machined from a red brass casting, brass billet saddles, stainless hardware, nickel or gold plated.
Phase II bridge = current USA production, two piece trem, machined from yellow brass billet, brass billet saddles, brass hardware, nickel or gold plated.
SE / S2 bridge = current import production, two piece trem, machined from steel (casting or forging ???), steel cast saddles, steel hardware, nickel or gold plated.
Phase III bridge = private stock / limited production, , two piece trem, machined from yellow brass billet, brass billet saddles, brass hardware, nickel or gold plated.

Brass typically enhances mid-range tones.
Steel typically enhances high end tones.
Aluminium is typically considered "neutral" in tone.
Stainless Steel typically enhances high end tones.
Titanium Steel typically enhances high end tones, to a lesser degree than other steels.

No one material is "better"... just different...

Part II

In answer to your original question, I do offer an all steel trem - #2030 ModernVibrato.
Well almost all steel... the saddles are still brass.

It was designed more for the Mexican Strat market, but it happens to be the same string and mounting spacing as a PRS.
The saddles look different but you could swap out PRS saddles and they would fit just fine.

The bridge would sound brighter than an all brass PRS bridge.

Part III

I am sure I could modify a #2030 steel block (by reducing the overall height) to fit a stock PRS USA bridge if folks expressed an interest in that...

Back