Question about early circa 2008 DGT controls

helliger

Happy New Year!

New member and new PRS owner. I had a question about the controls of an early DGT (around 2008). I got this used and want to make sure it's wired correctly. I think the current DGT's are set up so the volume knob closest to the neck controls the bridge pickup. Is this true for earlier models as well? The one I have is set up where the neck pickup is controlled by the volume knob closest to the neck (which is pretty common). Was wondering if that's how it was originally wired or if it's been rewired.

Also in the middle position if I turn the volume off for one of the pickups it's completely silent. Is that normal? I figured if you turned one of the pots down e.g. keep the neck up full and turn off the bridge down then it would just be the neck pickup but If I do that it's completely silent. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Your guitar is wired the way DG wanted it. He calls the bridge pickup the “money” pickup - its where he’s at most of the time.

And the middle behavior is normal - it’s how most LP-styles are wired.

I think the OP is saying his volume knob that is farthest up / most forward is wired for his neck pickup, that would not be how the DGT is wired from the factory. The DGT has the farthest up and most forward knob as the bridge pickup volume.

I think the OP is saying his volume knob that is farthest up / most forward is wired for his neck pickup, that would not be how the DGT is wired from the factory. The DGT has the farthest up and most forward knob as the bridge pickup volume.

So you’re saying I read it completely wrong?

I did.

Correct, it's wired so the volume closest to the neck pickup controls the neck pickup. I opened up the back and couldn't tell if it had been re-soldered or not. Since it's a first year version I'm not sure if it's stock of if it was changed. It looks like the middle of the pickup leads were also soldered onto the pots (I'm assuming to keep it tidier??). Haven't seen that done before.

I'll probably just keep it as is instead of rewiring it. I'm surprised how nice the coil tap sounds. Very usable tone.

Correct, it's wired so the volume closest to the neck pickup controls the neck pickup. I opened up the back and couldn't tell if it had been re-soldered or not. Since it's a first year version I'm not sure if it's stock of if it was changed. It looks like the middle of the pickup leads were also soldered onto the pots (I'm assuming to keep it tidier??). Haven't seen that done before.

I'll probably just keep it as is instead of rewiring it. I'm surprised how nice the coil tap sounds. Very usable tone.
I am not sure how many wires are on those pickups. It is common to solder the outer shield to the back of a pot, it is actually required if they are only 2 wire pickups.

It is possible that someone just removed the pots from the guitar body and moved them to different holes if there is enough wire to do so. If there isn't they swapped a couple of wires in it.

Back