Put guitars away when it's cold?

littlebadboy

I'm in the cold Midwest... is it bad to keep my PRS hanging on the wall when temps drastically drops towards winter? I keep my guitars in my cold semi-basement room hanging on the wall. As winter approaches, room is about 66°F when unoccupied. It has a supplementary infrared heater because it is usually cooler down there, so when occupied it is about 70-72°F. I could only get humidity to the higher 30s.

Should I put them in cases when it's cold? I prefer not to because they showcase the room and I like to grab immediately when inspired. But if you guys say I need to, I will follow.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm in the cold Midwest... is it bad to keep my PRS hanging on the wall when temps drastically drops towards winter? I keep my guitars in my cold semi-basement room hanging on the wall. As wintwr approaches, room is about 66°F when unoccupied. It has a supplementary infrared heater because it usually cooler down there, so when occupied it is about 70-72°F. I could only get humidity to the higher 30s.

Should I put them in cases when it's cold? I prefer not to because they showcase the room and I like to grab immediately when inspired. But if I need to by your comments, I will follow.

What do you guys think?
I say it doesn't matter at that temp/humidity. When you take them out of the case they have to adjust some to the environment anyway when you play. That's just IMHO though. I leave them hanging!

Agree. 6 degrees isn't going to make a big difference one way or the other. Different story going from a case in the unheated car trunk to a heated room of course, but from what you've said I'd just let them hang! :)

I'm in the cold Midwest... is it bad to keep my PRS hanging on the wall when temps drastically drops towards winter? I keep my guitars in my cold semi-basement room hanging on the wall. As winter approaches, room is about 66°F when unoccupied. It has a supplementary infrared heater because it is usually cooler down there, so when occupied it is about 70-72°F. I could only get humidity to the higher 30s.

Should I put them in cases when it's cold? I prefer not to because they showcase the room and I like to grab immediately when inspired. But if you guys say I need to, I will follow.

What do you guys think?

My living room drops to colder than that overnight between November-February.

I used to have guitars hanging and all was fine.

They would be sharp (pitch). But as soon as you play, the strings warm and it returned to pitch.

Just play them to keep them warm. :) Mine all stay out on their stands year-round. Probably will just need a quick neck adjustment as the temperature and humidity drops - I can see the action has gotten a bit higher on my guitars lately. Snowing in Boston today (!!?) so this weekend all will get a neck tweak.

I'm in Chicago, and mine stay out year round. Some in the basement, and some on the 2nd floor. It's 65 in the basement right now, with 43% humidity. I'll set up a humidifier in the basement in the next couple of weeks, and can usually keep it above 35% throughout the winter. Never had a problem, other than, maybe, a truss rod adjustment.

What do you guys think?

You could, it wouldn't harm the guitars. That being said, guitars can stand room temperature fluctuations typically between 55°F (12.8°C ) and 85°F (29.4°C) without too much of an issue. OTOH, your nose will likely feel cold at 55°F and you might need to put on an extra sweatshirt...

The humidity problem might be more of a concern than the temperature part...so I'd either have a dehumidifier working occasionally in the basement where basements typically tend to be more humid during summer and winter because of the laundry machines, sump pumps, and/or exposed concrete foundation.

Thanks all! Keeping them hanging on the wall then!

I'm in Chicago, and mine stay out year round. Some in the basement, and some on the 2nd floor. It's 65 in the basement right now, with 43% humidity. I'll set up a humidifier in the basement in the next couple of weeks, and can usually keep it above 35% throughout the winter. Never had a problem, other than, maybe, a truss rod adjustment.

Hey! I'm a Chicagoan wannabe! I'm in the far north suburbs!

I keep acoustics humidified in the winter, but leave the electrics as they are.
Agree, but was going to say that humidity is more important than a 6 degree temp swing. High 30s is dry. I'd add more humidifier and try to keep around 50%. 30% can lead to fret sprout and is just generally not as good for guitars. And yes, acoustics are much more sensitive in the short term, in the long term a constantly dry environment is not good for electrics either.

Agree, but was going to say that humidity is more important than a 6 degree temp swing
Yes, it is. I will try to make my point(s) more clearly.
The temperature swing only matters if it is enough to cause condensation. Otherwise, the guitar doesn’t care.

Humidity can vary greatly with modest temperature swings. That is why you see dew some mornings.

It is easier for me to keep the humidity level in range in my house with the heat set to 18C than to 22C (about 65F to 72F). The higher I set my furnace, the lower the humidity in the house will be.

Back