Good Results Again - Humidipaks

László

Too Many Notes
I thought I’d report on these D’Addario Humidipaks once again as winter became spring/summer (in Michigan we only have two seasons, Bitter Cold and Road Repair, but I’ll use the conventional terms here).

This was my third year using this product year-round in all of my guitar cases, electric and acoustic. The winters are dry and there’s forced air heat. The summers are humid and hot. That’s what we get. A few weeks ago we had an ice storm. Yesterday it was 94 and muggy.

For years in the past, my guitars needed adjustment and setup after the seasons changed.

At some point years back, I started using a steam humidifier in the winter months, in the room where I keep them, and that seemed to work well, but I had to run the humidity in the room high enough to cause frost on the windows to have it work. And that isn’t good, because wet, drippy windows and window frames in a room all winter can cause problems. As to the summers, well, there just wasn’t a cure other than air-conditioning.

One of the guys here turned me onto these Humidipaks. They worked so well with my Tonare acoustic (the system is really designed more for acoustic guitars, where two packs are suspended over the strings into the soundhole, and the third pack is put in the case near the headstock) that I began putting one in each of my electric guitar cases.

Each year I’ve used these, the guitars have required zero adjustment or setup, either in summer or after the winter.

For those who haven’t seen them, these are little packs of water and chemical salts that don’t leak, don’t smell, etc. The pack is permeable, however. They fit into a cloth bag that the kits come with (refills without the bags are also available). Because of its chemical formula, it releases humidity when it’s lower than about 40-45%, and absorbs humidity when it’s higher than 50-55% or so. In winter, the packs last for about 2-3 months. In summer, they’ll go the distance, and I change them in the fall.

Bottom line is that these things work. No issues after 3 years of continuous use. The only setup I’ve had was to my CU24, and that was because I wanted to change the action to accommodate some nerve damage to my fretting hand.

I’m not saying everyone needs to run out and buy these, but if your guitars need seasonal setup adjustments every year, these can help and are worth considering. For acoustics, they prevent a lot of problems, like sinking tops in winter, and bulging tops in summer, both of which affect the action and tone.

Last edited:
I've been using them for a couple of years. Great product. Makes me worry less.

Funny thing, I feel the same way. Fewer things to worry about.

And I’m that guy who finds things to worry about, even if there aren’t any! ;)

I worry about worrying about things that dont need to be worried about...only to not worry about worrisome things that I should worry about.

Welcome to my own little sliver of hell.

I put one of these on my Christmas list, and got one from SantaMrsDTR. I haven’t opened the package yet. Need to put it in the case with one of my Taylors!

I use em for my Martin when I need to. Most of the time I run AC in the summer and a couple of little evaporative humidifiers in the winter and don’t need the humidipacks, but there are times in the winter when it still gets too dry for the humidifier to get the job done. I’ve never had any issues with my electrics, even semi-hollows - I suppose if I had a fully hollow electric, I might use them with that too. I like to keep my guitars out on the wall and ready to grab most of the time, so they don’t spend a lot of time in their cases unless things get REALLY severe.

They’re made by Boveda, who makes systems for cigar humidification as well. They license the system to D’Addario, but if you have a lot of guitars, you can buy the same stuff in bulk from Boveda for less than D’Addario...

-Ray

I use em for my Martin when I need to. Most of the time I run AC in the summer and a couple of little evaporative humidifiers in the winter and don’t need the humidipacks, but there are times in the winter when it still gets too dry for the humidifier to get the job done. I’ve never had any issues with my electrics, even semi-hollows - I suppose if I had a fully hollow electric, I might use them with that too. I like to keep my guitars out on the wall and ready to grab most of the time, so they don’t spend a lot of time in their cases unless things get REALLY severe.

They’re made by Boveda, who makes systems for cigar humidification as well. They license the system to D’Addario, but if you have a lot of guitars, you can buy the same stuff in bulk from Boveda for less than D’Addario...

-Ray

Yup, I was aware that Boveda made them, and forgot to mention that. I get them from D’Addario simply because it’s easy to drop into the guitar store when I need a few packs of them, and it’s always fun to go to the guitar store. :)

I keep my guitars cased when not in use; I’ve found over many years of playing that fewer problems result, and it’s not much of an inconvenience (for me) to open a guitar case.

Last edited:
Yup, I was aware that Boveda made them, and forgot to mention that. I get them from D’Addario simply because it’s easy to drop into the guitar store when I need a few packs of them, and it’s always fun to go to the guitar store. :)

I keep my guitars cased when not in use; I’ve found over many years of playing that fewer problems result, and it’s not much of an inconvenience (for me) to open a guitar case.
For sure, keeping guitars in a case with a good humidity management system is the best way to keep them. But depending on your setup in can be a slight inconvenience or a strong dis-incentive to play them. My guitar space is about half of a small office. I keep all five of my guitars (3 electric, 2 acoustic) hanging from the wall, with the electrics all lined up right above my pedal board and plugged into A-B switches. So I grab 'em and play 'em. I only have room to conveniently store one case here, so it's my Martin case, which I like having handy specifically for extreme humidity situations. My other cases live in the basement, two stories away. So, for me, that wouldn't work at all. But if it did, I'd probably do it the same way you do...

-Ray

For sure, keeping guitars in a case with a good humidity management system is the best way to keep them. But depending on your setup in can be a slight inconvenience or a strong dis-incentive to play them. My guitar space is about half of a small office. I keep all five of my guitars (3 electric, 2 acoustic) hanging from the wall, with the electrics all lined up right above my pedal board and plugged into A-B switches. So I grab 'em and play 'em. I only have room to conveniently store one case here, so it's my Martin case, which I like having handy specifically for extreme humidity situations. My other cases live in the basement, two stories away. So, for me, that wouldn't work at all. But if it did, I'd probably do it the same way you do...

-Ray

Hey, it’s always good to have a system that works for you!

I've noticed that when you first place the Humidipaks into a well-sealing case that the first ones will also bring the case interior up to the right humidity level and may seem to be used up quicker than normal. Once that happens, if you keep your cases closed and latched, the packs should last much longer. For electric guitars I use a new low-cut crew sock turned inside out and place a pack inside. Depending on the case configuration you can usually find at least one spot where it isn't touching the body.

I've noticed that when you first place the Humidipaks into a well-sealing case that the first ones will also bring the case interior up to the right humidity level and may seem to be used up quicker than normal. Once that happens, if you keep your cases closed and latched, the packs should last much longer. For electric guitars I use a new low-cut crew sock turned inside out and place a pack inside. Depending on the case configuration you can usually find at least one spot where it isn't touching the body.
Bovida actually sells higher humidity paks for "seasoning" cases. I think they're around 72 or 75% humidity. They recommend putting a few of those into a case for a week to ten days without the guitar in it (presumably before the really dry season hits) before you start using their regular 45-50% paks. That way the normal paks aren't using all of their humidity getting the case itself up to the right level.

A couple other little tips. One, there's no problem using more than the recommended number of paks in a case. As long as they're all the same humidity rating, using more will just extend the lifespan of the ones in the case rather than make the case too humid. So, if you're gonna be leaving your guitar unattended in a case for a couple of months or something, use more paks. Also, they're rechargeable up to a point. When you use them in a case in really dry conditions, the paks are expelling humidity into the case. But when you're using them in really humid conditions, they're actually sucking humidity out of the environment of the case and absorbing it into the pak. So, if you mostly dry out a set of them during the winter, leave them out in a humid part of your house (or you can actually set up little humid bags or tanks to recharge them) in the summer to recharge them (assuming you're not using them to absorb excess humidity in the case).

One warning a guy at Martin gave me - don't leave them in an acoustic guitar's sound hole unattended for any long period of time. If they leak their combinations of salts and whatever else they have in them, they can ruin an acoustic guitar. They don't recommend them anyway - Taylor pushes these and Martin has other systems they recommend. But he didn't have any problem with the humidipaks as long as you didn't leave them unattended for long periods of time. I leave a couple of guitars unattended for a few months each winter. With solid body electrics, I just leave them horizontally in cases with a couple of paks under the neck and headstock, mostly to avoid fret sprout. I figure if one of those leaks, it might make a mess of the case but shouldn't hurt the guitar itself. But with them hanging inside the chamber of an acoustic, the results could be pretty bad. I thought about leaving my Martin but the guy warned me off of that, so I just take that with me when we drive south for the winter now.

BTW, I'm not affiliated in any way, but I did a lot of research on this stuff last winter and most of it is still pretty fresh in my mind...

-Ray

Last edited:
You have to be careful though. I developed hairline cracks in a Martin acoustic once by getting the “sponge snake” over saturated and placing it in the sound hole.

I had damage from one of those green snakes, too, back in the day. Also had cracking on a nice Martin's top and back from not humidifying. It was catch 22 until I started using a room humidifier, but filling that thing daily from Thanksgiving to Easter every year, and descaling it, became a PITA. Now I only use it in the deepest winter months as sort of an insurance policy. The humidipaks work well.

They don't recommend them anyway - Taylor pushes these and Martin has other systems they recommend.

PRS does recommend the D'Addario humidipaks for their acoustics; there's a PRS video floating around with one of their acoustic guitar builders showing how to use it. Since I have a PS acoustic, I figured it would be a safe choice. It is.

I’ve found your theme tune Les!;)

I'm so worried I could only listen for a minute before I had to be talked down from a window ledge. Then again, I was on the ledge of my basement window, because I was worried about making a bloody mess on the pavement if I jumped from a higher window.

I'm so worried I could only listen for a minute before I had to be talked down from a window ledge. Then again, I was on the ledge of my basement window, because I was worried about making a bloody mess on the pavement if I jumped from a higher window.
Yeah, but what about the “Baggage retrieval system they’ve got at Heathrow”??;)

Back