Push pull pot going bad

1neeto

My S2’s tone pot is going bad. So I was wondering that instead of another push/pull pot, to just install a mini toggle switch? Sometimes I’ve found myself struggling pulling on the pot if my fingers are anything but bone dry. A bit of sweat, and the pot slips off my fingers when I try to pull it. The fact that my S2 has a pick guard makes it much easier to drill a hole and route the wires. Of course the idea of having a drill anywhere near this beauty freaks me out a bit. :D

I too find the S2 tone pot push/pull hard to handle. A more modern push/push (like I have on an LTD) is definitely easier to operate. Separate mini toggle is probably even more ergonomic.

I too find the S2 tone pot push/pull hard to handle. A more modern push/push (like I have on an LTD) is definitely easier to operate. Separate mini toggle is probably even more ergonomic.
Something like this. This is my modded strat, this toggle switch ties the center and middle pups to series or parallel.
RHatb5M.jpg

zoXclzv

I would go with a push-push pot so as not to have to drill. Only downside is you can't see at a glance which position it's in.

You could absolutley wire a toggle switch. You could also try a rubber O ring or similar on your knob.

I would go with a push-push pot so as not to have to drill. Only downside is you can't see at a glance which position it's in.
That’s a good idea, not seeing which position is in is not that big of a concern. My main concern is not to fumble the pot if I want to split while playing.
Go for the mini-toggles, and while you're at it - buy a replacement pick guard from PRS now in case they discontinue it and you want to go back to stock.
The previous owner replaced the factory pick guard with a very nice tortoise one. I rather not drill into it that’s for sure.
You could absolutley wire a toggle switch. You could also try a rubber O ring or similar on your knob.

you know our friends from across the pond would read the whole o ring on your knob thing in a completely different way right? :D

I imagine the o-ring would put some pressure on the pot so it would be easier to pull. My only concern would be if the pot would pull by itself. I dig that idea though.
Thanks for the replies guys, here’s the guitar.
8kRs55i.jpg

AsTCjK1

Back