Better push-pull tone pot?

roy76

Hi! I have great PRS USA S2 Custom 24, but do not like the tone of the push-pull tone pot. It very fast drives too bright sound which I don't like. Some people say it's a kind of modern sound and as someone pointed out here its a kind an icepick boost in treble. What's the pot / solution which best fits to my guitar, not to have very high end? Or anything else?

Are you saying you don’t like the coil split sound?

PRS does a partial split on those models I think, so you’re getting a little bit of the other coils too which would actually darken it. You could add an additional tone capacitor or resistor (I’m not an electronics engineer) in to the tapped mode maybe.

Not the coil split sound. The clean sound for both pickups is awesome. They are PRS 85/15 "S“ (Treble & Bass) but the distorted sound of the neck pickup "gives" too much quack, which I don't like. I've tried as a neck pickup DiMarzio DP152FBK Super 3 - the same. I wired the stock pickups in parallel. No hum - but disgusting quack in high end probably from the push-pull tone pot. I have no idea from what ?!

Last edited:
If your concern is about the neck pickup's tone while using the OD, and it's too "trebly", you could try installing a 250K volume pot. The push-pull switch on the tone pot it not likely your problem. You could also need a different set of pickups, or you could try rolling your tone knob down on your guitar, or your amp. Better still, try using an EQ pedal with a high cut setup.

If your concern is about the neck pickup's tone while using the OD, and it's too "trebly", you could try installing a 250K volume pot. The push-pull switch on the tone pot it not likely your problem. You could also need a different set of pickups, or you could try rolling your tone knob down on your guitar, or your amp. Better still, try using an EQ pedal with a high cut setup.
I've read somewhere in the forum that all PRS Humbucker guitars / as mine/use 500k pots. So, how 250 k volume pot will affect the sound?! Could you recommend me some? By the way here it is the wiring of my guitar /PRS USA S2 Custom 24/.

https://d159anurvk4929.cloudfront.n...s_standards_mira_starla_wiring_schematics.pdf

I've read somewhere in the forum that all PRS Humbucker guitars / as mine/use 500k pots. So, how 250 k volume pot will affect the sound?! Could you recommend me some? By the way here it is the wiring of my guitar /PRS USA S2 Custom 24/.

https://d159anurvk4929.cloudfront.n...s_standards_mira_starla_wiring_schematics.pdf
Your volume pot is a variable resistor to ground. The value of the pot is the maximum resistance to ground it offers the circuit when turned fully up. The higher the resistance, the more of your signal passes to the output jack. The effect of this is higher high-frequency content. Single-coil pickups are naturally brighter sounding by their design, so Stratocasters will traditionally be equipped with 250K pots to tame that brightness. Humbuckers use 500K as a normal value to increase the high end that is lost through humbucking. If you put a 250K pot resistance on a humbucking pickup, the high end content will decrease relative to a 500K pot. A quick way to test this is to "temporarily convert" your stock 500K pot to a 250K pot by clipping a 500K resistor across the inner and outer lugs of the pot. This will cause the pot and the parallel resistor's net resistance to be half the 500K value according to Ohm's Law for parallel resistors. (This is how PRS makes the 250K/500K pot switch possible on the original MEV guitar--it's on a mini switch.) See if you notice a difference. If you don't, then use the EQ pedal method or something you think works better.

Your volume pot is a variable resistor to ground. The value of the pot is the maximum resistance to ground it offers the circuit when turned fully up. The higher the resistance, the more of your signal passes to the output jack. The effect of this is higher high-frequency content. Single-coil pickups are naturally brighter sounding by their design, so Stratocasters will traditionally be equipped with 250K pots to tame that brightness. Humbuckers use 500K as a normal value to increase the high end that is lost through humbucking. If you put a 250K pot resistance on a humbucking pickup, the high end content will decrease relative to a 500K pot. A quick way to test this is to "temporarily convert" your stock 500K pot to a 250K pot by clipping a 500K resistor across the inner and outer lugs of the pot. This will cause the pot and the parallel resistor's net resistance to be half the 500K value according to Ohm's Law for parallel resistors. (This is how PRS makes the 250K/500K pot switch possible on the original MEV guitar--it's on a mini switch.) See if you notice a difference. If you don't, then use the EQ pedal method or something you think works better.

Will this one fit my needs?

Will this one fit my needs?

Don't swap your pot yet. Get a few 1/4W metal film or carbon film resistors with a 500K value. Solder clips to each end of one resistor and clip them across the input and ground lugs of the installed pot. This will instantly change your 500K pot to a 250K pot. The taper will be affected, but it will allow you to quickly and painlessly investigate how a 250K pot option will suit your ear.

Don't swap your pot yet. Get a few 1/4W metal film or carbon film resistors with a 500K value. Solder clips to each end of one resistor and clip them across the input and ground lugs of the installed pot. This will instantly change your 500K pot to a 250K pot. The taper will be affected, but it will allow you to quickly and painlessly investigate how a 250K pot option will suit your ear.
Thank you!

Back