Purchased Custom 24 30th Anniversary - Normal or Thin Neck?

Zafu

Greetings all,

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading it over the past 24-hours.

Although I've been playing guitar as a hobby since I was ten, it wasn't until 2004 that I purchased what I consider, my first high end instrument. That year Fender and I shared a 50th birthday, so I treated myself to a master built reissue of the 1954 Strat. Now that I've turned 61 this month and find PRS celebrating its 30th Anniversary, rationalized this as a good reason to spend the bread for another guitar I've lusted after for quite some time and placed my order for a Custom 24 30th 10-Top in Blood Orange. It's on its way.

I live in a somewhat remote area of the foothils, in the Sierras of Northern California and unfortunately, there is no way for me to try this guitar prior to receipt. I've been struggling with what size neck to get and wanted to get your thoughts.

My understanding is that the "thin" neck isn't quite as thin as the Ibanez and slightly wider than the "regular" neck. I understand the "regular" neck is very similar to the C type neck of my strat with a very slightly reduced fingerboard width.

I've never particularly liked the Ibanez necks, which are the only "thin" necks I'm used to. I prefer a little meat in my hand; am 6-feet tall with a large hand, though not anything close to the monster hands Hendrix had ;-) So when forced to decide, I selected the "regular" neck. Of course, by next Wednesday-Thursday, the guitar will arrive and I'll know for myself, was very curious what you folks all thought about this.

When speaking with PRS about this pre-sale, I was told most of its guitars are made with the "thin" neck and that's generally what people want. This made me think that's what I should get too, but then had second thoughts the more I thought about it. It's been said by some that "thin" necks are faster necks. I don't particularly care about speed to be honest; but it's my intuitive opinion that speed is based primarily one one's own dexterity and not whether one is playing a regular or thin neck.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance and will be sure to post pictures when it arrives, or when I can upload the dealers pics they sent to one of my web sites.

Peace -Zafu

Excellent inquiry! I went through the same process of trying to sort out the differences between 'pattern regular' and 'pattern thin'. I can tell you, that I went to two stores, and played several core and S2 guitars, and I prefer the pattern regular. My hands and wrist didn't like the pattern thin, because it's wider and shallower.

If you have any stores near you with S2 guitars on hand, those are all pattern regular necks. Not 100% certain they are identical to the core custom / 30th pattern regular necks; but should be close.

I did play both S2 and core 30th anniversary models; and all the core models I played were pattern thin, and I consistently didn't like the wider / thinner feel. But that's me! It does help to play.

I think they are trying to push the pattern thin necks since that is a newer neck design. As I understand it, the pattern regular is a classic neck which will most likely feel right at home.

pattern Thin vs pattern Regular is not accurate; it feels more like pattern wide vs pattern regular to me.

Please be aware that there is sometimes confusion regarding the neck naming. Specifically, 'Pattern' and 'Pattern Regular' are 2 different necks. The 'Pattern' neck is the same width as the Pattern Thin, but is overall thicker. The 'Pattern Regular' is more of the 'Pattern' neck thickness, but is narrower than either 'Pattern Thin' or 'Pattern'

Thanks guys. Surprised by so many views but so few comments. Hopefully there will be more.

@ColonelForb - That made me feel better. We'll see when it gets here. By the way, my first live dead show was in 1970, with hundreds to follow. I'm a huge fan.

Cheers -Zafu

I ordered a cu24 30th anniversary with a pattern regular neck. I think the only thing I would prefer a thin neck for would be wide stretches but, for chording, bending and normal everyday playing I much prefer the pattern regular. I've played the pattern regular neck before and loved it. I have a singlecut with a wide fat neck and a CE22 with a wide fat that doesn't feel as big as the singlecut neck. I also have a tremonti se custom and I notice when I play it and do some bending that I don't like it very much. I've played a 408 with a pattern neck before and although I did notice the neck was bigger it still felt ok. However, I believe the pattern regular is perfect for me.

I've owned Ibanez wizard necks, Fender Strat and tele necks, epiphone necks, Gibson necks, Ltd necks, and Schecter necks, plus prs and se.

I currently own a PRS Custom 24 30th edition, blood orange, curly figured top with pattern thin neck.

I honestly have to say that the pattern thin neck is the nicest neck I've played so far. I own an SE 245 with the pattern neck (old wide fat) and that's super comfy but the pattern thin seems to be the best of all worlds. No where near as crazy thin as the Ibanez type necks. I think it also depends on the style of guitar. Pattern thin just feels right on this style but when I get an American 245 I will get the pattern (wide fat) as, to me, it feels better on a single cut guitar.

When I ordered my custom 24 it was listed as having a pattern thin neck. When it came it actually had a pattern regular and as it turns out I am very happy about that. Best neck I've ever played.

I have a 30th CU 24 with the Pattern Regular. I'm about your height with large-ish hands, and I find it's a great neck for me. Also my second one with the Pattern Reg. I also have a Pattern neck on my McCarty Singlecut, which is a fat and wide neck and love it too.

To confuse you more, my last 408 was a Pattern Thin, and that worked for me too, though the feel was less substantial.

Bottom line: there is no "right" neck on a guitar, like there's a right size on a shoe. It's all preference.

I have a 30th CU 24 with the Pattern Regular. I'm about your height with large-ish hands, and I find it's a great neck for me. Also my second one with the Pattern Reg. I also have a Pattern neck on my McCarty Singlecut, which is a fat and wide neck and love it too.

To confuse you more, my last 408 was a Pattern Thin, and that worked for me too, though the feel was less substantial.

Bottom line: there is no "right" neck on a guitar, like there's a right size on a shoe. It's all preference.
Les has it right...preference. I can get along just fine on any of the PRS neck shapes, thin being my least favorite(although I do own one thin).

If you're comfortable on the 54 neck, I think you'll love the pattern regular.
I agree. The regular is likely the best choice for you. I think you'll be happy with it.

Thanks all for your feedback. I feel so much better and can't wait for Wednesday to get here.

Of course I understand there is no "right" neck and it's a matter of preference; just wanted to get some feedback and appreciate the time you've all taken to give it.

Cheers.

Back