PRS vs Telecaster

https://hps.hs-regensburg.de/~elektrogitarre/

There´s aswell an English edition of the research results of "Physics of Electrics".

What we wanna hear is what we want to see or suggest.

Unfortunately, only the table of contents is in English, the text is in German. I only speak a tiny bit of German so can't read it. There are times I wish I hadn't studied Latin all those years!

Ah, sorry, my fault. I didn´t pay enough attention on this language detail.

Off topic: High-Five: I studied Latin and Ancient Greek at grammar school. And - of course - English...

On topic: The research of Prof. Dr. Zollinger ist about - call it - rules of tone of electric guitars at Physician Institute.
What are the real impacts of an electrical guitar´s sound is core question.

An abstract result of his research: The tone of an electric is produced by strings and pickups.
And - as I mentioned in of my posts - string gauge, scale of the guitar and position of the pickups.
Wood has a very low impact. It doesn´t matter. Leo Fender f.e. took what he got on the market.

Even bold on or glued necks are low impact measures when they have been tied very tight to the body.

Speaking about acoustics: wood counts. And the whole construction (big chamber, low chamber)...

Bearing that all in mind my question before buying an electrical guitar is: Singlecoil or Humbucker (or P90).
Then I question myself about the body shape of well known types: Tele, Single Cut, Double Cut, Strat, Super Strat, Les Paul, PRS-Style...
The type of wood fulfills optical reasons like the colour.

My rational choice principle.

Maybe I´m wrong with that, but Jimmy Page played Tele and Supro and everybody believes it was Les Paul and Marshall. Anyways.

If CVS convinced that only a Tele delivers Tele sound, then he should buy that certain type of Tele that satisfies his tonal specs or expectations.

Last edited:
I wonder how they have measured these things.

I'm definitely a proponent of not being blind to "we hear/see what we expect to hear/see", and I'm definitely sceptic of things like cable quality above a certain point etc etc...

But no matter what, regarding the tele especially, I have yet to hear a guitar that is NOT built like a tele to sound like one.

This is all dependent on what the context of the sound is. Like, how much gain, what kind of amp, amp settings, etc etc.

I imagine I can totally hear that the solo on stairway is a Tele. Listen to the last note of the very first phrase he plays (the lower sustained note) :)

An abstract result of his research: The tone of an electric is produced by strings and pickups.
And - as I mentioned in of my posts - string gauge, scale of the guitar and position of the pickups.
Wood has a very low impact. It doesn´t matter.

Yes it does matter. At least to my ears. I agree its (woods) less of an impact electrically than scale length, and type and placement of pups, but I cam most certainly tell the difference between even a RW fretboard and ebony. (Indian or Brazzy, forget it. Sounds the same to me!) Recordings can take away (or add) so much, you could fool almost anyone with anything, but live, side by side with several examples of each, and you can usually find common traits of certain woods and materials right through the pups. At least that is my experience, and what my hands and ears tell me. Yours may be different (and probably are) and thats fine too!

Yes it does matter. At least to my ears. I agree its (woods) less of an impact electrically than scale length, and type and placement of pups, but I cam most certainly tell the difference between even a RW fretboard and ebony. (Indian or Brazzy, forget it. Sounds the same to me!) Recordings can take away (or add) so much, you could fool almost anyone with anything, but live, side by side with several examples of each, and you can usually find common traits of certain woods and materials right through the pups. At least that is my experience, and what my hands and ears tell me. Yours may be different (and probably are) and thats fine too!

Agree 100% Tag!

In an electric, are things like scale length and pickups/electronics going to impart a bigger influence on tone? I would say yes. But there is no mistaking the influence of different tone woods in the guitars tone.

I have two Singlecuts: same body and top wood, finish, scale length and electronics. The only thing different is the neck and fretboard wood. One is a rosewood neck and ebony fretboard, the other is mahogany and rosewood. With the EXACT same pickups in there (S-Decos wound identically by MJ at Seymour Duncan ) the two guitars still sounded markedly different. The rosewood/ebony combo had that 'hi-fi' expanded low end and top end and the mahogany/rosewood combo lived in the mids and is a rock machine.

I played in comparison a 2005 513 Rosewood and my 2011 513 MT. Same scale, same construction (mahogany body and maple top) except neck material (BRW with BRW fretboard vs. mahogany with EIRW fretboard), tuners (Phase II vs. Phase III), and nut (compensated 513 nut vs new PRS nut), electric (PCB vs. hand wiring)

Yes, indeed, unplugged there was a difference. The 513 RW was more balanced than my MT (little more highs).

Amped (Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo). There wasn´t any measurable difference, both were balanced, mine was even less overdrive happy switching through all PU-positions and modes (SC, Clear HB, Heavy HB; starting at neck position in SC, ending at bridge position in Heavy Humbucking mode).

We won´t come to a common opinion, we all have our tastes of sound, expectations and so on.

I don't want to buy a guitar that has just one usable pick up. Is there a PRS guitar out there that can give you that "country twang" sound when you want it?

PRS "Studio" model.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a well made locally produced copy of a '72 vintage mod thinline, with TV Jones Magnatron pups. Maple neck, Schaller bridge, beautiful sunburst. Costs less than fender, better quality, & hand crafted from prefab parts. I love my 3 se's, but nothing I have looks or sounds like a thinline tele with mags.

......So got the guitar on Friday, looked & played okish...for the money, for about the first half hour, until I looked closer.
On closer inspection, POS!

Pickguard looked like it'd been salvaged from another guitar, then spent a year gathering sawdust in the workshop - the dude's garage; also looked like the pick guard had been cut by a primary school kid with blunt scissors . Pickup selector was not smooth.

Vol & tone knobs somehow just didn't feel right, & the trestle block running down the middle had been shattered when the pickups were loaded in via the pickguard - this was clearly visible via the F hole.
The guy said that this had no impact on quality or sound, - BS.
If a guitar doesn't look well made it's not going to last the test of time.
Moreover, if you can see physical problems from a badly built guitar, you have to expect corners have been cut "under the hood" too.

The only thing I couldn't flaw was the neck & frets, they were smooth, but as I've learned owning many guitars over the years, neck quality - even on some higher end guitars, can be pot luck.
Not that I expect that's ever an issue with PRS - certainly my SE's have the best necks I've seen.

So I took it back on Saturday, had to listen to the guy's BS for a while, then he said he'd refund me - not 'cause the guitar was crap, not because I was entitled under consumer law (I am, it's called major failure if you buy something you wouldn't have accepted had you known about the problem prior to purchase) but to protect his reputation.
The money was refunded, but not without him having another few shots at me, basically saying I should have accepted the guitar 'cause he thinks it's fine.

I would have thought if he cared about his reputation he wouldn't have sold a badly made inferior copy of a Tele Thinline (or any guitar that's inferiority built for that matter) & broken it by modding with poorly installed Magnatrons!!

I was naive enough to have bought it sight unseen, & got it delivered; a safe enough gamble from chain & big box retailers, but not so safe from unscrupulous sole traders!

I'm now wondering if he's importing from Asia, & getting his headstock logo printed on?
- It certainly looks that way, as there is a Chinese guitar maker selling guitars that look very similar to his style with a similar headstock!
This guy claims to be a luthier, but I wouldn't trust him to do a setup!

I also had another look at his website - amazing how clever one can be in hindsight, & noticed he's got acoustic guitars listed for sale with bird inlays, so just had to contact PRS about it.
Bad enough I nearly ended up with a crap guitar, but to think he's also selling what looks like counterfeit PRS - that's a bit rich.

So just ordered a Squier Vintage Mod '72 Thinline Tele instead.
If I'm gonna have a copy, I'd rather have a better made one with support from a reliable company if anything goes wrong.
This is the only way I'm going to have a guitar I can legitimately call a Telecaster without buying a Fender, & of course today's Squier maker is tomorrow's O/S Fender factory if their standards are high enough.

Ironically, I managed to get the Squier for about half what I paid for the "luthier made" version (apparently some sort of pricing issue which the retailer was happy to honour, so bought it for around cost price to the retailer).
Stuff like this puts guitar players off forking out for customised or hand made guitars!

Last edited:
I have put different pick ups into the same guitar with the result being that the guitar sounds different, at least to me. When considering a purchase of a new guitar, I always like to play the guitar without an amp as a 1st step. This can be problematic in a noisy guitar store, but I try to do this. I am also trying to gauge the guitar's natural sustain before plugging it into amp as well as for fret buzz. I am probably crazy, but so be it.

Since I started this thread back in Feb 2015, I thought I would let you know what I ended up doing. First I purchased a PRS 513. The quality and playability were exactly what I expected out of a core PRS model - just fantastic. For some reason however, I just never bonded with the guitar tone wise either in the single coil or humbucker positions, so I sold the guitar and purchased a reissue 57 Tele (tone is fantastic , but the same cannot be said for the quality IMHO) to take care of single coil sounds that I was looking for. Then I purchased a McCarty 594 to take care of the vintage humbucking sounds that I was looking for. I really enjoy the 594 and it has delivered in all respects (tone, playability and quality).

Right now, I am very happy with my guitars and do not have GAS, but as we all know, that can change quickly :D

Absolutely SOME tone is the acoustic sound of electric guitar, but a lot of tone comes from the pickups & amp. There are plenty of YouTube clips with comparisons of the same guitar model with different pups. Those that can't notice a difference may as well not play guitar, as they must have woollen ears!

Since I started this thread back in Feb 2015, I thought I would let you know what I ended up doing. First I purchased a PRS 513. The quality and playability were exactly what I expected out of a core PRS model - just fantastic. For some reason however, I just never bonded with the guitar tone wise either in the single coil or humbucker positions, so I sold the guitar and purchased a reissue 57 Tele (tone is fantastic , but the same cannot be said for the quality IMHO) to take care of single coil sounds that I was looking for. Then I purchased a McCarty 594 to take care of the vintage humbucking sounds that I was looking for. I really enjoy the 594 and it has delivered in all respects (tone, playability and quality).

Right now, I am very happy with my guitars and do not have GAS, but as we all know, that can change quickly :D
Yep.
I bought 3 guitars last year, already bought an SE 245 in January, & now planning the Telecaster style. That said, the Tele I'm getting looks beautiful & has great tone. I know this is "the one" 'cause I'd trade all my guitars to have it. It looks awesome, has great tone & is versatile. None of my other guitars have all that in one.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a well made locally produced copy of a '72 vintage mod thinline, with TV Jones Magnatron pups. Maple neck, Schaller bridge, beautiful sunburst. Costs less than fender, better quality, & hand crafted from prefab parts. I love my 3 se's, but nothing I have looks or sounds like a thinline tele with mags.

Funny. A few weeks back I was in Lark Street music and just happened to grab the nearest guitar to me to try out a pedal I was looking into. I have always hated thinline Teles, as most were cheap or vintage ones that weighed like 10 lbs and were dead. I played a few note acoustically just to tune it up, and was instantly taken aback by the tone. It rang like a bell, and I noticed light as a feather. (6lbs 2 ounces) It was a used Fender masterbuilt CW Fleming Thinline relic from 2006. I ended up trading another guitar in for it, and am in LOVE with this thing. Total plain jane butterscotch tele with an Fhole, but sounds unbelievable.

If you want a clean/rock machine of vintage or modern capability, it doesn't ever get better than PRS. That said, I just picked up a Nash GF-2 and am floored. It can't rock like my 12 or so PRSi, but that sparkle and twang is mental.

Yes, I underline the statements of LSchefman, Michael_DK, Bill SAS 513, and tbp0701. But bear in mind it depends on the capability of the player. Look, Greg Koch is able the reproduce this twangy sound on every guitar: Humbucker, Singlecoil, Hollowbody. It doesn´t matter.

I gonna tell you my Tele experience: I was about buying a Tele because everybody wants to convince that only a Tele sounds like a Tele. The Tele Twang...

I attended to Musik Messe in Frankfurt, Germany, last year via wild card. So I took the opportunity checking out a couple of Teles at the Fender booth. And I met Greg Koch, too. Anyways.

Cheap ones from Squier were chosen aswell as Mexican and US models. I wasn´t blown away in any sense.
I had the image of that typical Tele Sound in my brain, Andy Summers, Dominic Miller, The Boss.
An uncomfortable shaped guitar rests on my lap with a singlecoil on neck and bridge position.

I had the opportunity touching Paul´s former blue Paul´s Guitar. Even this instrument has more dirt in tapped coil modus than the Teles I played.

I´m very pleased with the SC sounds (and the other modes, too) of my 513 MT.
I´m cured: I don´t need to switch from (my) PRS to Tele.

Sure it depends on everybody´s taste. If you´re conviced that only a Tele could broadcast twang: Buy any!

I agree. I like the single coil sounds my 513 makes (+ they absolutely ROCK !!!) better than those of my Paul's guitar but I think they tend more towards a Strat sound than a Tele.....IMO ! BUT in fairness I haven't really tried to approximate a Tele with the 513 where I do regularly use it to get pretty convincing Strat sounds.

Back