PRS vs Telecaster

I haven't played a PRS that could really cop the snap and attack of a Tele. That bridge plays such a big role.....and then you have the scale length, woods, etc.

That said, the most snappy and tele like PRS I have played would be the SAS for sure. Next up would be the Johnny Hiland model.

I would love a PRS that steered more towards the tele direction, but looked, played and was built like a typical PRS. I have always thought something like a SC Trem with a swamp ash body, maple neck a board, 25.5" scale and a string through or tele style bridge would rule!

Have to agree with VHTStark. My go-to axe is my Mira 24 ....but...I still use my U.S. Standard blonde Tele with twin single coils when I need to. Like the man said "....I haven't played a PRS that could really copy the snap and attack of a Tele...." That pretty much sums it up for me.

Thanks for all inputs - Given that I really only want the guitar (Tele) for that "country twang" sound, I have decided to hold off - primary reason is our band only palys a few songs where I need this type of sound, so I will go after a guitar that is more versatile, like the Brent Mason.

Thanks for all inputs - Given that I really only want the guitar (Tele) for that "country twang" sound, I have decided to hold off - primary reason is our band only palys a few songs where I need this type of sound, so I will go after a guitar that is more versatile, like the Brent Mason.

...Whereas I myself already have a Brent Mason, and am looking for a Tele (not actively really, but I WILL get one :)). Conversely, that tele will be for rock... (well, so are my other guitars). :)

I don't know how anybody could be disappointed in the Brent Mason (if thery're not expecting a tele) - it's an awesome guitar. So good choice there :)

That said, there are other PRS models that come closer to the tele ballpark - I think. The Brent Mason body is korina, which I think is mahogany-like (at least genetically, not too sure tonally). That might not be a problem for you in any case :)

By the way, I seem to remember a guy doing some pretty darn mean chickin pickin with a PRS studio (not even the swamp ash model, if I remember correctly)...

If you're open to the PRS price range, I do recommend checking out Suhr! I love my PRS but just picked up a Suhr Tele that's every bit as good as a PRS. I'm not a country guy but this tele can do it all with a super usable neck pickup. Plenty of examples on YouTube.

I haven't played a PRS that could really cop the snap and attack of a Tele. That bridge plays such a big role.....and then you have the scale length, woods, etc.

That said, the most snappy and tele like PRS I have played would be the SAS for sure. Next up would be the Johnny Hiland model.

I would love a PRS that steered more towards the tele direction, but looked, played and was built like a typical PRS. I have always thought something like a SC Trem with a swamp ash body, maple neck a board, 25.5" scale and a string through or tele style bridge would rule!

For something in the Tele direction but with high build quality and great playability (although that's subjective) you may want to try some G&L ASATs if you haven't had the opportunity. And there are smaller and/or boutique Tele-style builders around if you want to spend more. Of course maybe PRS will decide to build something like a CE22 / Swamp Ash Special hybrid with DGT coil splitting.

We have a member here that posted a video of him doing some amazing Tele-type country pickin' on a Studio model.

To all those sceptics: Even a core line 513 with mahogany body and neck and a maple top plugged into such a small piece of amp, recorded with no pro mic setup but the cam´s mic delivers to my ears that certain piece of twang.
So: Why buying a Tele than?
(I know I´m a heretical guy but son of a protestant pastor, too. :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked out (yet again) Andersons, Suhrs, and many others, and once again bought Fender CS Tele. (This time with a Hum in the neck) Nothing sounds like a Tele to me other than a Tele.

TELE%20PRS_zpsmvriitec.jpg

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that what you're hearing in that video is not only the tiny speaker, but also the direct sound of the guitar (acoustically) being picked up by the cam.

A PRS may have snap and twang; but it ain't got that Tele thang (I just made that up)... Which might be perfectly fine for your tastes. If so, go right ahead.

my 2 cents...
I have totally been there as well, trying to get that tele twang and I have come to the conclusion...I hate the way fender tele's feel. The only guitar I have found that came close is the EBMM Albert Lee model. I have not had the opportunity to mess with a brent mason model (yet) but from what I have read and heard on youtube, and as stated above it does not seem to be a replacement for a tele.

I just checked out (yet again) Andersons, Suhrs, and many others, and once again bought Fender CS Tele. (This time with a Hum in the neck) Nothing sounds like a Tele to me other than a Tele.

TELE%20PRS_zpsmvriitec.jpg

Gee, Tag, you dinged up that Tele and wore it out in only one weekend! Danged cheap Fenders! :biggrin:

PS - lovin' that CU22 SH Ltd!

Gee, Tag, you dinged up that Tele and wore it out in only one weekend! Danged cheap Fenders! :biggrin:

PS - lovin' that CU22 SH Ltd!

Lol! Yes, I am loving the CU 22 LTD...to bad its not mine anymore. Borrowing it from my friend who owns it (and my old sky blue PS) now, who I hope to buy it back from at some point. KILLER guitars. I still feel one of the best PRSs ever made, and there should be a production model, or an Artist pack option to get one. Totally amazing guitars.

Last edited:
I have not had the opportunity to mess with a brent mason model (yet) but from what I have read and heard on youtube, and as stated above it does not seem to be a replacement for a tele.

With all the talk about wood types on here, and how everything matters, how could anyone compare a tele to a PRS? It makes no sense. Ash body, Maple neck, body shape and size, scale length, single cutaway, maple fretboard (for the most part, and original tele), hardware, SC pups...I mean they just cant be farther apart!

With all the talk about wood types on here, and how everything matters, how could anyone compare a tele to a PRS? It makes no sense. Ash body, Maple neck, body shape and size, scale length, single cutaway, maple fretboard (for the most part, and original tele), hardware, SC pups...I mean they just cant be farther apart!

Truth. :five:

Indeed. Different guitars do different things and I don't believe there is a Swiss Army knife of guitars that will give you everything you need. I like and own a variety of brands and models and can cover most sounds with what I have.

I don't think PRS can cover all sounds/tones with all their different models, but neither can Fender or Gibson. As stated previously I firmly believe that if you want a Tele sound, just buy a Tele and be done with it. But first you have to ascertain which Tele sound you want, with the multitude of models, they can all sound a bit different depending on features.

Back