prs trem

Question about trem setup.

How tight should the 6 screws in the front of the bridge plate? I took mine off to clean it and then I wanted to put it in the way it was put in at the factory so it's working as we'll as it should

One thing I've noticed is that when guys go out of tune with a trem is that they just yank on the bar a little, then let go. You have to bring the bar back up. I'll even pull it a little sharp right at the end. I really don't divebomb much anymore. (And if it's something where I know I'll be divebombing, I'll use a guitar with a Floyd.) But I've found using that little trick, I rarely go out of tune. And I agree, you have to properly stretch the strings (a lot) with a string change.

Having played Ibanez Edge floyds since 1990, I have to agree that the PRS trem is the best non-floyd setup.
But I still feel the Edge trem on my Ibbys is the best trem out there. Super steady on all kinds on trem movement, dive bombs, pull ups etc. and can flutter like no other trem out there.
Only dissadvantage is that you can't change strings as fast as on a PRS, but on the other hand I don't remember ever braking a string on my Edge trem.... so a little extra time while setting up isn't that important.

Question about trem setup.

How tight should the 6 screws in the front of the bridge plate? I took mine off to clean it and then I wanted to put it in the way it was put in at the factory so it's working as we'll as it should

You don't want to tighten the screws all the way down to the body, the trem should float about 1/16" off the body. The knife edge on the trem rests on the ledge of the fulcrum screws. Here's a link with more details. http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

I never thought I would like a trem guitar as much as I love my PS Siggy. The PRS trem is absolutely amazing. I don´t use it really hard but I´m really surprised that it does not go out of tune at all. Cannot be compared to the Fender trems I used to have. The floating 2 point Trem on my CS Strat was a real pain to keep in tune, the vintage trem was better, but I had that one blocked anyway.

I've never gone too far with PRS trem since my only PRS is the Singlecut. However I've always been hearing nothing but impressive competencies about it. Mark Lucas of NStuffmusic.com always complements PRS trem as 'the best non-locking tremolo', while I sometimes saw him retuning Suhrs in the middle of some video reviews.

I don't have long enough experience about PRS trem myself, just want to share some credibility info about it. And hopefully I could get a Custom 24 and see how good the trem really is.

Hi. Tried to find the answer to my question by searching the forum but no success.

Is it something I should think about ehen I change strings. I have a 408 with trem and I want to clean the fretboard so every string must come off. Thanx in advance

I really don't think you need to clean the fretboard every time you changed strings, unless you leave them on till they're caked with crud. But if you are going to clean it, yeah it's easier with the strings off.

Back