prs trem

gush

Where is that speedo pic
A while ago somebody started a thread about trems. I had posted that the trem on my cu24 works just ok and that nothing works like a floyd. Another response was that you needed to "work" the trem when installing new strings to get everything settled in. It occured to me that I wasn't doing that when installing new strings. I only get 2-3 gigs out of a set of strings so I'm changing them often. The last couple of string changes I decided to really work the trem after I got strings stretched. I will say that does seem to help.

We giged both fri and sat night this past weekend and I was a little more aggressive than normal with my trem. Seemed to stay in tune a little better.

Whoever mentioned that, thanks

The PRS/Mann trem (combined with locking tuners) is one of the best designed tools I have ever used in my lifetime. It was THE feature that attracted me to PRS guitars in the first place, and it continues to do it's job as well, or perhaps even better than a Floyd Rose or any other trem system does in my opinion. Cool to hear you found out the tricks to getting it to work for you.... and save the allen wrench for Ikea furniture.:girl:

when I first played PRS, I had no idea how good was the trem, and I was very eager to get the tech to block it for me. But then I just left it as it is, turns out a couple of months later, I started playing it because I was listening to some VH and Pantera. I got hooked into the screaming harmonics divebomb, and I really had fun doing it. I did a research on PRS trems and I realised I have made the right choice without knowing a single thing about trems! PRS trems are made to cover 80% of what the Floyds can do, so with a proper set up, it's like a non-locking Floyd actually! Really good stuff.

Floyds are great at what they do in terms of the whammy thing, but I hated dealing with the one I had. What a pain in the butt. Two hex wrenches to diddle around with, difficult to string up, metal nuts with bolts to make playing low on the neck uncomfortable..

Never again. Brrrr!

when I first played PRS, I had no idea how good was the trem, and I was very eager to get the tech to block it for me. But then I just left it as it is, turns out a couple of months later, I started playing it because I was listening to some VH and Pantera. I got hooked into the screaming harmonics divebomb, and I really had fun doing it. I did a research on PRS trems and I realised I have made the right choice without knowing a single thing about trems! PRS trems are made to cover 80% of what the Floyds can do, so with a proper set up, it's like a non-locking Floyd actually! Really good stuff.

+1 to this. I play Eruption in our live sets and I get that bar just about down to the wood about 3 times in the space of a minute and a half and it comes back perfectly in tune every damn time!

I get that bar just about down to the wood about 3 times in the space of a minute and a half and it comes back perfectly in tune every damn time!

I bend my trem arms a little so it's easier to bottom them out, and it always comes back in tune. I have no idea why Floyds are still being made, or why somebody would want one on a PRS... Unless it's a creature of habit kinda thing.

I bend my trem arms a little so it's easier to bottom them out, and it always comes back in tune. I have no idea why Floyds are still being made, or why somebody would want one on a PRS... Unless it's a creature of habit kinda thing.

I still have a Jackson Soloist with a Floyd Rose... I don't play it much because it is such a P.I.T.A. to set up. I have never played a PRS with a trem on it yet... looks like I need to try one out! Thanks for helping my GAS gentlemen.

I hate hate HATE locking trems. I hate the bulk, I hate the feel, I hate the look, and I especially hate the inconvenience. But, admittedly, I don't go wild with the trem like Vai or Satch.

Last edited:
I hate hate HATE locking trems. I hate the bulk, I hate the feel, I hate the look, and I especially hate the inconvenience. But, admittedly, I don't go wild with the trem like Vai or Satch.

I guess the PRS trem reminds me of the Fender trem... never had any luck with those. See what happens when you pre-judge something without trying it? oops, my bad :)

My daughter took my trem arm away....not allowed anything that is sharp or pointy...just sayin

Hey sleary, put a marshmellow on your trem arm and put it back on your guitar. Problem solved

I guess the PRS trem reminds me of the Fender trem... never had any luck with those. See what happens when you pre-judge something without trying it? oops, my bad :)

Ohh, trust us trem players, Paul has perfected the Fender tremolo system ;)

Actually, I need to correct myself... I have played an NF3 but I was so absorbed in the sound of it I never thought to check out the trem! D'oh!

Haha! Yeah, that's undeniably Paul's work. He makes us fall in love with his guitars so much that we forgot to try out every single thing first hand. But then you'll not regret it too, even after shoving out the bucket of cash and bringing the guitar back home! :laugh:

A while ago somebody started a thread about trems. I had posted that the trem on my cu24 works just ok and that nothing works like a floyd. Another response was that you needed to "work" the trem when installing new strings to get everything settled in. It occured to me that I wasn't doing that when installing new strings. I only get 2-3 gigs out of a set of strings so I'm changing them often. The last couple of string changes I decided to really work the trem after I got strings stretched. I will say that does seem to help.

We giged both fri and sat night this past weekend and I was a little more aggressive than normal with my trem. Seemed to stay in tune a little better.

Whoever mentioned that, thanks

Had to ask, but how do you "work" the trem when changing strings?

+1 to this. I play Eruption in our live sets and I get that bar just about down to the wood about 3 times in the space of a minute and a half and it comes back perfectly in tune every damn time!

That's awesome - hard to believe EVH recorded Eruption with a Fender 6 screw trem. I wonder if the PRS trems had caught on sooner if the Rise of the Floyds would have happened at all? There are still definitely things only a Floyd can do, I guess....

Whoever was asking about how to "work strings" - literally pull them with your fingers around the pickups - stretch them out with your hands, careful not to break them, but you'll be surprised how much strength that actually takes. (Jeff Beck actually has done this live on stage when his tuning went out!)

Do that a few times, then bottom out the trem and then pull back as sharp as much as possible - back and forth a couple times and the there shouldn't be any slack and you can use the trem without any tuning issues...

Some people will pull the trem all the way sharp if the strings are getting caught anywhere between the tuning pegs, nut, and bridge - and that can get you back in tune. EVH has talked about doing this live in the earlier days....a quick jerk in the middle of the song!

My prs dgt holds it's tuning when used and even dive bombed. My daughter has the ibanez z system on her one guitar and those are so much better to work on than a Floyd .

The above advice for stretching is the best advice I can give...oh and nut sauce helps too......

I've predominantly played guitars with a Floyd. I was a little apprehensive about a PRS trem as I tend to do a lot of dives, but lo and behold I can do all kinds of aggressive trem work on the PRS with no issues. Combine that with the overall quality of PRS instruments, I'm considering trading my #1 guitar; a 2009 ESP Ouija. I never thought I'd trade it for anything other than a Ken Lawrence explorer, but I'm gassing hard for a Private Stock Custom 24 so it may have to go.

Floyd's are a no go for me. I can sometimes tolerate a flat Floyd...EVH style. The PRS tremolo I dig. Especially with an up route like a Tremonti.

Back