PRS SE Tusq nut

surfnut

Hi guys. Recently got a PRS SE Custom 24, and I`ve already swapped the tuners for some locking Grovers (another question coming bout them) I bought a Tusq Nut as I`d read so many glowing reviews, but now it`s arrived it obvious it`s about half the width of the nut it shipped with. I`m just a bit worried what it`s gonna look like when I`ve put the Tusq nut on and it`s not completely covering the area the original did? Thanks, Bri

It`s a Black Tusq from Graphtech PT-5000-LD(or LO)
Also says Black Tusq XL below

Last edited:
Ok thanks Mike. I asked for the PRS one, so the guy`s obviously shipped the wrong one. I`ll send it back...

QUOTE=Mikegarveyblues;29516]Sounds like you've bought the Strat nut.

The nut you want for your SE is:

BLACK TUSQ XL NUT 43X6 ( 1 11/16" / 1/4")
Product #: PT-6643-00[/QUOTE]

Like I mentioned at the top, the carry on from this is that I also bought some Grover 406c locking mini rotamatics and stuck them on. I did my research beforehand, and expected to have to replace the tuners and the nut, and I`m probably gonna swap out the pups for a couple hand-made Kent Armstrong ones I`ve got. I DID expect a big improvement from the Grovers though. They havent made the slightest difference. She`s still going out of tune really easily. I`ve got locking Gotohs on some of my other guitars and they`re great. These were straight replacements, no drilling, nothing. I held the strings taught as I wound the tuners and wound out anti-clockwise on the left, and clockwise on the right, as (of course)you would. Still no good. I suppose I`m not gonna know if it`s me or the tuners for another week, as I`m sure you`ll all say I wont be able to tell till I`ve swapped the nut out. I`ve got 9s on btw, so that shouldnt be the issue. Any other ideas? Thanks, Bri

When you say it goes out of tune really easily, do you mean after normal playing or after trem use?

To be honest, I`ve not analysed that. I`ll give her a real workout tomorrow and post back on here. Thanks in the meantime :) Bri

Ok. I`ve tried it this morning, and it goes out of tune with either just normal non trem playing or trem use :( Have to wait for the nut first methinks. tried nit juice too.

No. Must admit I`ve been reusing the strings it came with, as they`ve only had 10 days use. They`re obviously stretched, and ironically were keeping better tune before I stuck on the Grovers! ;) Didnt see the point of putting a new set on, if the guitar`s going to the guitar tech as soon as the nut arrives for fitting, and he`ll probably wanna stick another new set on. Ah well..... Better bite the bullet....

If the guitar was holding better tune before you put on new tuners, I think your tuners have been improperly installed. Maybe the hollow nut wasn't tightened down all the way and the tunes have some slop.

Also, make sure the strings are not pinching in the nut slots. This is the #1 reason for an otherwise good guitars going out of tune. Lift and pull each string up and out of the nut slot. The string should exit the slot smoothly without popping or pinging. If the slot is too tight, widen it slightly with a nut slot file, razor blade or piece of sand paper. Keep in mind, you only want to widen the slot, you don't want to make it any deeper. This especially will need to be done if the strings have been hanged from their original size (9-42)

Hi Shawn. It`s not strictly true that they were keeping better tune (my bad), what I meant really was that it`s certainly no better now that I`ve added the Grovers. I`ve used Nut juice, I`m still on the original 9s it came with. I gigged with a guitar that I built for years, so I`m not exactly a newbie to this, the tuners are on 100% correct I would say, the stringing up, I`m less sure of, but I described how I restrung it about half way down the page. Is there anything else I should have done? Thanks, Bri

There were instructions that came with the Grovers, you needed to line them up properly as they have an offset cam type thing that locks the string in place (no need to wind the string around the post). From what you have said, the tuners don't sound like the issue, recommend taking it to a luthier that knows PRSes, get them to check the bridge, nut and how the tuners have been installed.

I still think it's the strings, can you pinch a string between your thumb and forefinger, holding inline so the stretch happens straight, give the string a good stretch and it stays in tune? Observe anything that goes on, any movement or noise from the tuners or bridge.

Something else to work out, is the guitar going consistently sharp or flat after normal playing?

Shawn's 100% right about the nut. Mess around with the trem (Unamplified)... Do you hear a ping?

However, I have a suspicion that it's at least partly down to the fact you've re-used the old strings. Put some fresh ones on and give them a little stretch. If you still have issues then you can work through the other points of contact.

Just had mine installed (43X6) and it brought the guitar to life acoustically
I dont really think the tuners are mandatory
I really need to evaluate the pots and get into hearing these thru an amp to see if I like the pickups sound
I think its fine as it sits right now

Hey guys,

I am attempting to install a GT PT 6643 00 tusq nut on my PRS SE Zach Myers and am experiencing open string buzz on the A and G strings. I noticed that the nut wasn't sitting tight against the fret board (had a very small gap) so I reinstalled a new one (I bought two just to be sure). Anyway, same buzz... Any tips, tricks, instructions, tutorials etc?

I have a luthier put on the nut. You need to be are of the nut height, placement in the slot, and width of the slots. The neck relief is very important. I Always give this mod to a qualified luthier, not a GC guitar tech guy. It`s the smallest thing that makes the biggest difference in intonation. I`ll do most mods myself. Not this one.

Back