PRS SE Tusq nut

Hey guys,

I am attempting to install a GT PT 6643 00 tusq nut on my PRS SE Zach Myers and am experiencing open string buzz on the A and G strings. I noticed that the nut wasn't sitting tight against the fret board (had a very small gap) so I reinstalled a new one (I bought two just to be sure). Anyway, same buzz... Any tips, tricks, instructions, tutorials etc?

Go through and give the guitar a good setup, including truss rod and bridge height adjustment where necessary. If you're still having problems, the strings are probably sitting too low in the new nut. Assuming you're using the TUSQ XL, I found that mine was plenty tall when I installed it, so you may still be able to get away with that new nut.

When changing out a nut, if the string height is good on the nut being replaced, I'll usually measure it and try to replicate that on the new nut.

Every time I've had open string buzzing after a nut change (assuming the guitar was properly set up beforehand) it's because the nut is too low and the string is buzzing on the 1st fret.

I have installed TUSQ nuts on a cheap LP copy. I needed to sand away a significant amount from the bottom to get the intonation right. Pretty sure that those nuts will always be too high as raising the nut is quite a bit more problematic than just sanding it smaller...

There are some online instructions that I used to determine the correct height for the strings at the nut. Was much lower than I thought.

So, bearing in mind the above two points, I would check relief and overall string height at the bridge. Except for one or two high frets (unlikely) those two items (and the nut of course) can cause the buzzing. If all else fails, take it to a luthier - I can do a lot of things myself, but stil prefer having a pro look my guitars over once a year.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the main issue is that the nut slot isn't 100% square and the Tusq isn't fitting flush with the headstock and fretboard. I'm taking it to a luthier since I don't have the tools and skills to deal with that.

Sounds like you've bought the Strat nut.

The nut you want for your SE is:

BLACK TUSQ XL NUT 43X6 ( 1 11/16" / 1/4")
Product #: PT-6643-00

That's what graphtec give as replacement for prs guitars...

BUT..
the E to e is 35.22 mm while the SE series has an E to e of 36.20 mm, the same as Gibson

on mine I used a PT-6010-00

You have to file the nut a little more.... but when the work is done it fits flawlessly....

Back