PRS SE Spalted Maple

Cshea71

Hi folks, Please forgive me for a first-time posting, but I've looked through all the forums and couldn't find the info on this. In 2015 I purchased my first PRS. It's SE Custom 24 spalted maple. My understanding is that this was part of a limited run and ran across the entire production line of PRS. There were a number of spalted Santana's and 245's, ect. My serial # is P05754. My question is, how limited of a run were these guitars? Are there any resources online that I can utilize to find out more about this wonderful guitar? Thanks for any help!

I don't know how many spalted guitars were made. Customer Service might be able to tell you.

They were nice though. We will gladly accept pictures of yours.
Welcome to the forum.

I bought a Spalted Maple SE CU 24 from Sweetwater in 2013. I thought it might be exclusive to them but I am not sure. The S/N starts with N. It's a beautiful and great playing guitar. ENJOY!!!

I think all of the Spalted Maple runs were dealer special orders. My Spalted SE ZM was a special run done by Brian's Guitars, one of 25 IIRC.

I'm not sure how freely PRS will be with providing any info on how many made in all the various runs, since it could reveal how not-so-limited the Spalted tops ended up being.

Regardless, I love mine!

I bought a Spalted Maple SE CU 24 from Sweetwater in 2013. I thought it might be exclusive to them but I am not sure. The S/N starts with N. It's a beautiful and great playing guitar. ENJOY!!!
Is yours a santana special edition?
How much was it new?
I'm buying a used one and there's not much info on the value

I view these "special" runs the same as any other model in terms of value. If the ad says rare I run. Lol

PRS Special edition spalted maple SE 24 fret Carlos Santana model.

He has it listed at $700
Do you think that's a solid price for this specific guitar if in solid condition?
It's really hard to find any info on this specific guitar.

I have one. I like it. There’s a guy on the Twin Cities CL that lists every fancy top (spalted, burl, etc) SE 24 as rare and wants $1100. Dave’s sells those all day at $650 when used ones come in.

I scored mine on eBay for much less.

PRS Special edition spalted maple SE 24 fret Carlos Santana model.

He has it listed at $700
Do you think that's a solid price for this specific guitar if in solid condition?
It's really hard to find any info on this specific guitar.

Search "SE Santana" for any specific info you need. The rest is marketing window dressing.

I have one. I like it. There’s a guy on the Twin Cities CL that lists every fancy top (spalted, burl, etc) SE 24 as rare and wants $1100. Dave’s sells those all day at $650 when used ones come in.

I scored mine on eBay for much less.

Lol I've seen that guy's ads. He's one of the asshats I was thinking about. I only bag on these guys to help the new guys coming in. I remember buying into that nonsense when I was new to PRS. I've had a few of these "special" runs now. Some have been pretty cool looking but at the end of the day they are just the model they are.

I'm not indicating PRS truly does this, some PRS are truly limited editions. Most of the time its a marketing tactic. Spalted Maple does look great no matter what!

https://talenalexander.com/industry-news/limited-edition-strategy-of-marketing-cultural-exclusivity/#:~:text=The origin of limited edition goods can be,designer wear, luxury automobiles, and mass produced content.

PRS has been know to do limited runs as noted - 5708 ltd, sinker wood etc...

I don't want my posts to come off wrong. I'm not bagging on PRS in anyway. I'm talking about seller tactics. Theses "special" run SEs are equivalent to a different color since the woods underneath, pickups, etc are the same. This in no way detracts from the cool factor and how each one appeals to us.

The spalted maple finish is extremely cool but I wouldn't necessarily pay much more more for it. Well, anymore than I would in another color I liked. Really at the end of the day the decision is up to the buyer what it's worth. We're all different.

I don't want my posts to come off wrong. I'm not bagging on PRS in anyway. I'm talking about seller tactics. Theses "special" run SEs are equivalent to a different color since the woods underneath, pickups, etc are the same. This in no way detracts from the cool factor and how each one appeals to us.

The spalted maple finish is extremely cool but I wouldn't necessarily pay much more more for it. Well, anymore than I would in another color I liked. Really at the end of the day the decision is up to the buyer what it's worth. We're all different.
Me either! Its other "limited edition" type items I was alluding to.

Lol I've seen that guy's ads. He's one of the asshats I was thinking about. I only bag on these guys to help the new guys coming in. I remember buying into that nonsense when I was new to PRS. I've had a few of these "special" runs now. Some have been pretty cool looking but at the end of the day they are just the model they are.

My first PRS was an SE standard 24. I bought it at Daves and I mentioned that the spalted tops were pretty cool. The guy at the register said why pay $100 more? They sound exactly the same.

I did end up eventually buying one of the spalted tops, but I scored on eBay for about what I paid for the standard. I love the spalted top and it’s my favorite guitar.

Back