PRS SE Singlecut Project: The Red Queen

Draconomics

Fearless Papa of The Brethren of the Crust
So...I think half of you might like this, and half of you might go "What has this numpty done to that guitar?". Oh well...here goes. A little backstory to how we got here.

So, let's go back to 2006. I was a 19 year old kid with a broken Epi LP, a Squier Strat with telephone pole action, and flat broke. At the time I used to jam with this guy, about my age, that I met at one of those King of the Blues things at Guitar Center. He played a charcoal PRS SE Custom. Now I knew about PRS at the time because of Santana, but had no idea about the SE line. I loved that guitar, thing played as good as it looked, therefore I went hunting for one for myself. I just got a job working nights, so I thought it was time to get a more capable instrument now that I had a little cheddar. One day, I found a badly beaten SE Singlecut in cherry on an Ebay auction. I barely won that guitar at the last minute for around $300 (and that was about as much as I had, a testament to how broke I was). Didnt matter. I had become a member of the PRS family. For a broke teenager, it felt good.

That guitar became my No.1 for fourteen years. Virtually everything I know I learned on that guitar. Over the years I changed pickups many times, bridges, tuners...even the wiring harness. By this point, the finish had been pretty scarred. It already had massive dents from the previous owner, and now several from me, not to mention all the general wear from being played every day, and years of local gigs. It really wasn't in good shape anymore. So, I was going to retire it after I got my SE Paul's Guitar earlier this year, but I figured since I'll give her one last overhaul to keep it playable, why not do something...crazy. How crazy? Well how about a guitar with dragon skin on it. Well...vision realized. I give you, the Red Queen.
g71rYpj.jpg

4NnJzOx.jpg

kLodamy.jpg

XyYMSin.jpg

Honestly, after full fret redress and recrowning, it plays remarkably well! Its a darker tone than the other PRS's I have, a bit more nastier I suppose. The fretboard has darkened with time too. Its heavier than the others I have, maybe 8 lbs. I wager. I daresay I think shes got many years left in her. A testament to the build quality of the SE line, fourteen years and still rocks. My Epi LP is just as old and is totally unplayable. Still have some last things to complete on this. I have a matching backplate, I'm looking for an appropriate truss rod cover, and knobs that...you know, have some character to them. Well, that's the story of this one. Hope you like, and if you didnt and think I lost my mind, I wouldn't blame you.

I am blown away. You did an amazing job. Please share the details with us. What is the material? Did you just glue it on?

I thought I would be disgusted, but I’m actually intrigued. I also question applying that finish to the neck.

And like everyone else: “Give us the details!”

Well, glad you guys like it! I honestly didnt think it would still be a viable instrument after the overhaul, so thats part of why I went this far with the dragon skin. I figured it would end up as more of an art piece. So, I'll list the specs...

- Dragon skin is a vinyl that has been stretched and glued on; all seams are more or less baseball stitched. I likened it to handsewing leather on something like a car dashboard. I might do another version of this on another just beat to hell guitar I have. This time I'll want to try to remove the neck finish, oil it, and try to make little cuts so the transition from the dragon skin to wood is seamless.
- Neck feels very good! Its definitely thicker and wider, and at first it looks intimidating. However, very comfortable to play and smooth.
- Tuning keys are Gotoh 510's.
- Pickups are Domingers. Its a handmade set by this dude in South Carolina. Pretty tight and more of a high output set. I just took a chance on em and really impressed.
- Bridge is a Babicz Tune-o-Matic. Pretty cool system, uses roller cams for saddles.
- Has a custom wiring harness. Bourns pots, swtichcraft jack, some type of orange drops.

Its a great guitar, and I'm sort of a dragon nerd, so its like one of those things I've always kinda wanted to see and nobody ever makes . The tough part is trying to keep it from looking kitschy, and its easy to go in that direction.

Man that is really cool. I'm with others on the neck but without it in hand what do I know? That it's cool AF! Great job!

Last edited:
Awesome! And extremely well executed!
Is this the proof of concept for Paul’s next dragon? ;-)

Very cool man, the vinyl wrap is smooth right? If so I wouldn't see it affecting the playability all that much. And I'd just wrap the original truss rod cover with the same stuff, still not sure what I would do with the knobs though.

Very cool man, the vinyl wrap is smooth right? If so I wouldn't see it affecting the playability all that much.

Well...sorta. The wrap is textured but yeah its very smooth feeling. When i play, I don't really grab the neck much, I generally only have the tip of my thumb on it.

Awesome! And extremely well executed!
Is this the proof of concept for Paul’s next dragon? ;-)

Thanks! Oh, that would be a cool Dragon model, with carved scales. I'd probably be the only person to buy one. Lol

Well...sorta. The wrap is textured but yeah its very smooth feeling. When i play, I don't really grab the neck much, I generally only have the tip of my thumb on it.

Thanks! Oh, that would be a cool Dragon model, with carved scales. I'd probably be the only person to buy one. Lol
I’d be all over one. Goes with a couple of my tats.

Back