PRS SE Paul's Guitar String Noise

weeky

Hello,

I received a PRS SE Paul's Guitar and I'm loving it so far. The only thing that I experience that I have never experienced that much before with my other guitars (Strat, PRS SE Mark Tremonti) is the strings making a lot of vibration noise when releasing the fretting finger. This is no "fret buzz" as there is no noise when the string is properly fretted. It's just the still vibrating string buzzing against the fret it was fretted against. I know this from other guitars, but to a much lesser extent. Does this come from the fixed bridge and the more sustain you get by it? The guitar was set-up properly by a technician and I have an action of 1.5mm at the 12th fret of the lower E-string. I added some pictures, maybe someone notices something out of the ordinary, but I suspect this is a normal thing? Just asking, because it is quite noticable and honestly a bit annoying.

Best

Thanks! Are you sure? When I got it, the Bridge was even lower, the technician raised it, since the action was way too low. This is my bridge from another angle and the resulting string height at the 12th fret. Is that really too low?

I will later try to record a video showing the buzzing thing I mentioned.
I also have some lean forward, is that problematic?

Do you have a ruler or something to measure the bridge and string height? Even a couple stacked dimes will give a reference in those pics.

Thanks! Are you sure? When I got it, the Bridge was even lower, the technician raised it, since the action was way too low. This is my bridge from another angle and the resulting string height at the 12th fret. Is that really too low?

lean is no problem, les pauls and most of them do with these bridges

I think you're action is just a bit too low. Have you checked your neck relief as well? I know you said you got it professionally set up but given the buzzing issues, I wouldn't rule out that it wasnt done right.

Thanks. Neck relief seems to be fine, I measured it to be 0.25 mm with a feeler gauge. See the following video I made:

I also made a video demonstrating the buzz. Again, this is not a fret buzz on the next fret but on the fret I was fretting against and lifting afterwards (Youtube took away a bit of the sound quality, so maybe turn the volume up a bit more):

Here are some measurements of bridge height and action. I also tried increasing the string height, but this did not change anything.

I think you're action is just a bit too low. Have you checked your neck relief as well? I know you said you got it professionally set up but given the buzzing issues, I wouldn't rule out that it wasnt done right.
From the video and low action noted, it sounds like the relief is off. I'd say that truss rod needs a tweak in the looser direction.

You're action is definitely not too low then. I just tried on my PRS SE PG and I get the same "buzz" lifting off the fret as you. I think this is normal and a physical impossibility to get rid of as the string vibration takes time and tapers to the halt rather than instantaneously as your lift your fretting hand off. I never even noticed this as its mostly pronounced when playing unplugged. Unless theres stark contrast between what you're experiencing compared to your other guitars, I would get your action back down low as possible without getting traditional fretbuzz and call it a day haha.

Last edited:
I assume that you are experiencing a change in string oscillation from horizontal to vertical with release of the fretting finger … potentially related to speed of liftoff. So higher string height diminishes the chance of buzz from the more vertical component of oscillation.

I assume that everything PRS has done to maximize sound and vibration in the Paul’s Guitar exaggerates this effect.

Just for info, if you use the share to forum code (not thumbnail) on Postimage, you’ll get the full size image on here.

Try lowering your pickups a bit and see if the buzzing stops.

They look close to your strings. The magnetic pull of the slugs will cause oscillation and a sitar like effect.

Just worth trying.

Back