PRS SE neck variations

Blah_00

Hi everyone!

This is my first post as I have been bitten by the PRS bug for a long time, and have been particularly keen on the SE Paul's guitar.

I did have a question though about tolerances and consistency with necks of exact same models though. Basically I would like to know how common or rare is it that necks can feel VERY noticeably different on the exact same guitar? Is it a QC thing or is there some manual work that goes into these necks at some point in time that could lead to variation in the same model? EG. Should a Wide Fat always feel the same on every guitar?

Reason I ask is that I was in a shop looking at trying out PRS's the other day and was specifically looking at the PRS SE Paul's guitar. They had a blue one hanging on the shelf and I asked if they had another brand new (also blue) one in a box that I could also consider purchasing. As soon as I picked it up it felt different. The neck was MUCH rounder and 'fuller' feeling compared to the one on the shelf. That was maybe the same thickness, but not nearly as 'girthy'. I would describe that as feeling much more V shaped and 'smaller' while the BNIB one much rounder. It was noticeable and I verified with a few other shop assistants to make sure it wasn't in my head!

I then checked another SE PG of a different colour and actually another SE Zach Myers as they are all listed as having Wide Fat, and the PG had a slimmer feeling neck while the ZM was much girther.

It got me wondering if this has happened before and if it's common? I have previously only bought second hand guitars in the past and so it was just a bit of 'you get what you get'. For some reason I had never thought the exact same guitar could feel so different.

Would appreciate peoples thoughts! Sorry if this has been covered but I've literally gone through 77 pages of this forum trying to answer my question. I obviously didn't but have enjoyed what I have read nonetheless!

Thanks for your help and so much information and love for PRS that I have living reading about in the forum!

There will be slight variations. The initial carving of the neck will be done via CNC machine. But then the will be a lot of hand sanding for both the neck, and the radius. Slight variations are to be expected. Drastic variations, not so much.

Thanks so much for all your help on this! I did actually read that neck were machine carved but also sanded down after. Does that apply to the SE series as well? Maybe my cynical mind just thought these would just be all mass produced by machine as much as possible so it's actually quite reassuring to know there's the human touch involved even at the SE level!

I guess a bit of variation makes much for sense though. In terms of how it felt though, if I look at the picture of different PRS neck types, I would so strongly swear (just by feel) that the thin one felt much closer to the 'pattern' neck with relatively sharp sides coming to a point in the middle and the other neck felt much more rounded, almost like a pattern regular or even pattern vintage. Obviously those neck types may not translate exactly to the SE range but that was the in hand feel for me.

Just seemed strange that they were the exact same model and only 150 or so off each other based on serial number...

Anyway, I guess maybe the manual intervention is the answer to it? Really appreciate the responses so far though!!

Thanks so much for all your help on this! I did actually read that neck were machine carved but also sanded down after. Does that apply to the SE series as well? Maybe my cynical mind just thought these would just be all mass produced by machine as much as possible so it's actually quite reassuring to know there's the human touch involved even at the SE level!

I guess a bit of variation makes much for sense though. In terms of how it felt though, if I look at the picture of different PRS neck types, I would so strongly swear (just by feel) that the thin one felt much closer to the 'pattern' neck with relatively sharp sides coming to a point in the middle and the other neck felt much more rounded, almost like a pattern regular or even pattern vintage. Obviously those neck types may not translate exactly to the SE range but that was the in hand feel for me.

Just seemed strange that they were the exact same model and only 150 or so off each other based on serial number...

Anyway, I guess maybe the manual intervention is the answer to it? Really appreciate the responses so far though!!
This is worth a watch. It's from 2019, but it is a good look at the SE factory/build process.

I've a Santana se standard from 2017..with binding around neck and body..made in Indonesia..the neck Is smaller than the korean or american Wide fat..but the Guitar specificaton was Wide fat...it'something like a small 50 rounded..similar ti my Yamaha sg3000

Back