PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut or Double Cut?

PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut or Double Cut?

• 1) Singlecut.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2) Double Cut.

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Jerrydpi

Hello to all, this is my first time Post, and I'm about to become a proud Member of the PRS Community!

I believe it's important to give you as many details as possible so you can assess my needs :)

My PRS will be for Recording, and I am a Songwriter (I play drums/bass guitar/keyboards/guitar) who writes in the following genres:

1) Pop.
2) New Country.
3) R&B.
4) Contemporary Jazz.
5) Rock (just every now and then, mostly then).

I started playing guitar about 5 years ago, and have been playing either a Stratocaster or Telecaster exclusively, but I have sold them both because I'm ready to try something different, and I've narrowed down my #1 choice for my first PRS guitar, and it's the SE McCarty 594, in Black Gold Burst.

I'm sure we're all aware that YouTube Videos can help or confuse us (well at least ME : ) ), and I see that the guitar is available in a Singlecut and Double Cut version.

Please vote in my Poll, and I'd appreciate if you'd tell me why you favor one version over the other, as well as your suggestion for which one would suit me best for my Songwriting/Recording needs.

If you can get out and play both then you decide which will fit your needs. My opinion, your money. Good luck on your hunt.
This! If you've leaned toward Les Paul - style guitars in the past, the singlecut might feel a little bit more familiar. If you're a Strat or SG guy, the double might be more your speed. You've got to play both to know for sure!

Neither, I'd look for a used S2 594, there's some smokin deals out there with very little patience. Not that the se can't become a professional instruments that's a purpose of an s2 out of the box in the PRS lineup. The 10th anniversary and 2024 s2 come with core pickups and electronics, but that's going to bump the budget, all the others have S pickups like the se. Another option for the S2 594 is the thinline.

I'd personally get the DC because I already have a SC PRS, but really that's up to you.

I voted Double Cut. There is something, to my ears, that is a little more "air" in the tone of the DC - the type of thing I want from a PRS. The SC is killer, too, but may be a little to "thick" for you if you are used to a strat and tele.

I, too, am a song writer/recording guitarist. My main two recording guitars are my SE 594 DC and a custom built Esquire. I find that those two guitar blend nicely. There is clarity and snap to both, but with more girth on the 594 in the low mids.

In full transparency, mine does sport the Core 58/15LT pickups and a full electronic replacement with Core internals.

Neither, I'd look for a used S2 594, there's some smokin deals out there with very little patience. Not that the se can't become a professional instruments that's a purpose of an s2 out of the box in the PRS lineup. The 10th anniversary and 2024 s2 come with core pickups and electronics, but that's going to bump the budget, all the others have S pickups like the se. Another option for the S2 594 is the thinline.

I'd personally get the DC because I already have a SC PRS, but really that's up to you.
Hi SinSir!

It looks like used S2 594's, in Excellent or Mint Condition, are about double the price of what the SE McCarty 594 goes for in the same condition.

Hi SinSir!

It looks like used S2 594's, in Excellent or Mint Condition, are about double the price of what the SE McCarty 594 goes for in the same condition.
Hi! They are more. If you're going used to used for sure. But new se to used s2 is another story. Theres this, I personally wouldn't buy a used se without playing it first or from a smaller shop I trust. Used s2 I'd buy in about any scenario.

Hi! They are more. If you're going used to used for sure. But new se to used s2 is another story. Theres this, I personally wouldn't buy a used se without playing it first or from a smaller shop I trust. Used s2 I'd buy in about any scenario.
SE McCarty 594 New: $759 (Shipping included).

S2 594 Mint: $1,649 (Shipping included).

Last edited:
I can't get over a 2-piece bridge and the toggle location on a doublecut 594; just seems like it violates some kind of natural law.
It's one iteration of PRS guitars I am not interested in.

So singlecut; and for the type of music you're playing, I'd recommend a look at the SE Zach Myers.

Last edited:
I can't get over a 2-piece bridge and the toggle location on a doublecut 594; just seems like it violates some kind of natural law.

So singlecut; and for the type of music you're playing, I'd recommend a look at the SE Zach Myers.
Don't forget to vote in the Poll deathworlder.

I Vote For The One That Has The Toggle Switch In The Right Location.

SE McCarty 594 New: $759 (Shipping included).

S2 595 Mint: $1,649 (Shipping included).
Deals far less than that used with very little patience. Heck I looked at a 10th anniversary for a hair less the other day. And I'd take that over either of them. Played one at the shop a couple weeks back that hooked me bad with the bug.. Amazing guitar!

Last edited:
Deals far less than that used with very little patience. Heck I looked at a 10th anniversary for a hair less the other day. And I'd take that over either of them. Played one at the shop a couple weeks back that hooked me bad with the bug.. Amazing guitar!
Then I shall use more patience :)

The Thinline has the switch down on the lower bout, the double 594's and single cuts (all but the Thinlines) are all up on the upper just like the LP's do...if that is what you are referring to.
@Jerrydpi I'm not sure where you're at, but my S2 Thinline I paid a paltry $300 more than a new SE double cut; impossible to turn down, and I was all set to pull the trigger on the brand new Vintage Cherry since I'd previously played the S2 Thinline, and I would have done so gladly. Here in Canada a new S2 Thinline is $2700 (last year's) $3100 for the '24, SE's run $1200... at retail prices of course.
Now my personal thoughts on the single versus double cut is it's only a visual thing. The single obviously looks more like the LP... sound and tones are up to the individual as to how close you can get with it. But hey, I'm a double cut guy so.;)

Please forgive this question :)

Several of you have stated you prefer the Double Cut body because it looks like a PRS, whereas the Singlecut body looks like a Les Paul, and it's not a Les Paul.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but headstock notwithstanding, do you not think the Double Cut body looks like a Stratocaster, and it's not a Stratocaster?

Please forgive this question :)

Several of you have stated you prefer the Double Cut body because it looks like a PRS, whereas the Singlecut body looks like a Les Paul, and it's not a Les Paul.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but headstock notwithstanding, do you not think the Double Cut body looks like a Stratocaster, and it's not a Stratocaster?

The DC looks like a Strat in the same way that a lot of companies' SCs look like Les Pauls. At a glance, yes, very similar at the very least, but when you look at it more closely, the differences become obvious. If you look more closely at a DC, the differences become more obvious. And if you pick one up, you never think "this is just like a Strat".

I voted DC because I find them more comfortable. I have no idea if you will.

Back