PRS SE Bernie Marsden - is the black solid maple top?

MikeChandler

On the SE 245 specs it says opaque models are solid tops (not a maple cap with a flamed veneer).

So is it the same deal on the Marsden SE?

FWIW - I bought a Tremonti Custom SE at GC but took it back the next day. I loved the tone... but.. I don't like the trem and the neck was too thin. I am thinking of ordering one of these black ones online, as it seems to have everything I want - plus the binding!!!!

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably the same for the black Marsden. Doesn't make sense to bother putting a flame veneer on a guitar that is getting painted solid black. I would email customer service to be sure if you were that curious.

I could be wrong, but I thought the solid finishes were all mahogany, no maple.

I could be wrong, but I thought the solid finishes were all mahogany, no maple.
Only the SE Standards and the SE Tremonti (stoptail) are all mahogony. The SE 245 and the SE Bernie Marsden both have maple caps. However, for the solid colored 245 (and possibly the BM), they don't put a flamed veneer on it like they do the sunburst because there's no point in putting a figured veneer when they just paint it solid. It's still a normal maple cap, just no veneer.

My bernie has a maple cap I'm pretty sure, it is black and does not have a veneer. Also the neck is one of the thickest necks on the SE range that I have seen, it says it's the wide fat profile but it is a little thicker much like a vintage LP like the beast that bernie modeled the se version after. It's a great guitar in my opinion. You'll love it.

My bernie has a maple cap I'm pretty sure, it is black and does not have a veneer. Also the neck is one of the thickest necks on the SE range that I have seen, it says it's the wide fat profile but it is a little thicker much like a vintage LP like the beast that bernie modeled the se version after. It's a great guitar in my opinion. You'll love it.
+1 on this. Great guitar that you will definitely be impressed with.

It was based on his 1959 les paul (the Beast) they had baseball bat's for necks!!!
The 59 profile is a thick neck, for sure, but the 58 is the real baseball bat. I think that was the thickest Les Pauls ever got; they started thinning in 59 and of course got much thinner in the 60s.

The 59 profile is a thick neck, for sure, but the 58 is the real baseball bat. I think that was the thickest Les Pauls ever got; they started thinning in 59 and of course got much thinner in the 60s.
The neck shapes were actually all over the place. I've played a 60 that was thicker than a 58 I've spent some time with. The Gibson reissues follow the neck thickness rule everyone talks about, but the real deals were somewhat inconsistent. 58,59 and 60 are all very similar. After 60 they became toothpicks

The neck shapes were actually all over the place. I've played a 60 that was thicker than a 58 I've spent some time with. The Gibson reissues follow the neck thickness rule everyone talks about, but the real deals were somewhat inconsistent. 58,59 and 60 are all very similar. After 60 they became toothpicks
Well, even today, Les Paul necks are kind of all over the place. But yeah, it probably would've been better to refer to the reissue profiles.

I had a 58 chambered reissue Les Paul - it had a neck that was .912" to .974". Just gigantic. AND I LOVED IT.

A forum member directed me to audiostar's offering of the Bernie Marsden black for $399. Too good to pass up, I bought it. I have alnico II slash pickups, CTS 500K pots, orange drop caps, and even some aged kluson deluxe tuners, already in my parts bin. So while I will certainly play it a bit first, I already have the upgrade parts standing by.

I am hoping the import bridge is okay. We shall see.

Mike

That's a killer deal! Had I not just bought a wood library DGT I'd be all over it

I had a 58 chambered reissue Les Paul - it had a neck that was .912" to .974". Just gigantic. AND I LOVED IT.

A forum member directed me to audiostar's offering of the Bernie Marsden black for $399. Too good to pass up, I bought it. I have alnico II slash pickups, CTS 500K pots, orange drop caps, and even some aged kluson deluxe tuners, already in my parts bin. So while I will certainly play it a bit first, I already have the upgrade parts standing by.

I am hoping the import bridge is okay. We shall see.

Mike

yeah that's a good point I suppose Gibson have been known for being inconsistent lol. Nice guitars ive got one myself and that being the case theres a fit for everyone somewhere (must have 57s in it I like them) cheer's

no problems with the trem yet, but i also have the feeling the neck is way too thin. doesn't really fit with the heavy body...
I love the trem after the nut was changed. I also find that this is the most stable neck I have out of the 7 various PRSi that I have. Maybe because it`s maple. THe Tremonti SE Custom is my #1, over even core USA.

Back