Prs SC250 with coil splitting?

boardn10

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 SC250 and I want to replace the pots for cool splitting or phase switching. What you guys recommend?

I may even replace the pickups with other PRS pickups or Rio Grandes. I want fat and full but good for splitting, good for classic rock to grunge and metal.

I may try the stock pickups first and do the splitting.

My CE22 has Dragons and the five way rotary. I'd love to do that on my SC250 or get less hot pickups and split or do the phase switching. Do you guys
recommend splitting and just using my toggle? Any pickup suggestions? I may try the stock one first but they are hot.
If I go other PRS, what you suggest?
Should be good enough for hard rock and metal even though we do a lot of classic rock and 90s grunge and Alt rock.

I'm not trying to get strat tones. Not at all. Just different flavors.

I do like what I get on my CE22 in the middle rotary position.

If I start by trying the stock pi kuos, do you recommend a pot type or brand?

FYI - I preaonally like the Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup and could go that route, unless I get newer PRS pickups.

I used to own strats and a tele and I could see maybe owning one again but I'd rather have PRS guitars than can pull off what I want. For example, my CE22 in the middle rotary position sounds great through the clean on my PRS Archon 100 set with the bright on. Sounds great, even for the lead when we play Alice in Chains No Excuses.. We are also adding some police songs and I forget what Andy Summers used. But I'm fine getting great tones on a PRS.

But this also may change my approach to getting my next PRS. I'd like to get one with great humbucker and split tones or phase switching.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
So I realized only the bridge SC250 is 4 conductor while the neck SC250 is vintage braid. My tech said he can do some splitting on thr bridge pickup and that may be enough to give me what I want. I mostly would use the middle position. After that I can see if I'd rather have a different PRS pickup set.
Suggestions?
Maybe Alnico V for the bridge pickup.

These pickups are open black coil.

I found some used PRS #7 pickups with nickel covers. Could that work well?

I like darker pickups hence why I think about using the Tremonti Bridge pickup. On thr PRS site, they list it as one of their darkest pickups.

Talking about swapping a Alnico V in for the ceramic of the 250? If so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I've wondered if it would make it more JB sounding. A pickup I personally like.

I'd guess the 250 would split nice. Reading wise atleast. It's hot enough one coil would bring a respectable numbers without the use of resistors. I'm also of the school of thought why would PRS use a 4 conductor wore if not? The 250 is a perfect example of how they mix in vintage braided if they don't want a pickup split.

What about 85/15 pickups?

I love the SC250 neck pickups so it stinks its not 4 conductor.
Maybe I can keep the neck Pickup and just split the bridge. Otherwise, the PRS Tremonti could be good since it's darker than the stock SC250.
One of my favorite ridge pickips is the Rio Grande BBQ.

Now I see PRS #7 pickups for sale.

Not sure...

I have a set of 85/15 I still haven't found a permanent guitar home. It's those pickups I have a love hate for. In the right guitar, through the right amp, and in a good day I like them. Others love them. I much prefer the 57/08 and 59/09. Though, I'm not sure any of these three are hot enough for your tastes.

I'm a huge fan of my Tremonti. Interesting to hear the Tremonti is darker than the 250. Is it the pickup or guitar?

I have a set of 85/15 I still haven't found a permanent guitar home. It's those pickups I have a love hate for. In the right guitar, through the right amp, and in a good day I like them. Others love them. I much prefer the 57/08 and 59/09. Though, I'm not sure any of these three are hot enough for your tastes.

I'm a huge fan of my Tremonti. Interesting to hear the Tremonti is darker than the 250. Is it the pickup or guitar?
I haven't played the Tremonti next to the SC250, but I don't find the SC250 bridge pickup dark. However, if you look at the PRS specs for the Tremonti Bridge pickups, it's dark, maybe one of the darkest they make. I wonder if it's anything like my Dragon bridge pickup in my CE22, although the Dragon is hotter according to the resistance - but resistance does not tell the entire story.

The Tremonti has a custom magnet but have no idea what that is. Seems really far and full.

Have you played the SC250?

I used to be a big user of the Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup and may try one again.

I haven't played the Tremonti next to the SC250, but I don't find the SC250 bridge pickup dark. However, if you look at the PRS specs for the Tremonti Bridge pickups, it's dark, maybe one of the darkest they make. I wonder if it's anything like my Dragon bridge pickup in my CE22, although the Dragon is hotter according to the resistance - but resistance does not tell the entire story.

The Tremonti has a custom magnet but have no idea what that is. Seems really far and full.

Have you played the SC250?

I used to be a big user of the Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup and may try one again.
I was looking at that graph last night. I don't think it sounds dark in my Tremonti, it rips, but I wouldn't call it dark.

I'm doing the pickup dance in a few guitars right now. I have a set of 250 pickups right here trying to find a home in one of em. I contemplated swapping an Alnico V in for the Ceramic too.

I don't know what's up with PRS calling the Tremonti a custom magent now. I read early versions had Alnico and until recently I always thought it had a ceramic in it.

I was looking at that graph last night. I don't think it sounds dark in my Tremonti, it rips, but I wouldn't call it dark.

I'm doing the pickup dance in a few guitars right now. I have a set of 250 pickups right here trying to find a home in one of em. I contemplated swapping an Alnico V in for the Ceramic too.

I don't know what's up with PRS calling the Tremonti a custom magent now. I read early versions had Alnico and until recently I always thought it had a ceramic in it.
I had a friend try thr alnico V in the SC250 but it thinned out thr tone too much. It sounds way fatter with the ceramic. He is always tweaking his gear so he tried that for me and we tested it out. He also has an alnico 8.
The stock ceramic sounded fullest overall.
The Tremeis such a fat sounding pickup.
The Rio Grande BBQ and Suhr Aldrich are two pickups I've used a while and the Tremonti sounds a lot bigger and thicker. Great pickup.

I tried the 85/15's in my Singlecut and overall it was a miss. I have a set of DGT pickups in there right now though that absolutely smoke! They split awesome as well. Those will be tough pickups to find though....

The Dragon 1's, which you are familiar with, also sound killer in a singlecut. I spec'd my 2007 Private Stock Singlecut with them.

Back