PRS S2 Vela unfcomfortable... what about S2 Standard 22?

rushrocker

Hi All,

I played an S2 Vela and found that it wasn't very comfortable to play. The bridge felt super far back and put my shoulder and picking arm in an awkward position.

I have played, and love the S2 Satin/Standard 24 series, they put my picking hand in a great spot, but am considering a 22-fret guitar as I have multiple super-strat style 24 fretters already.

I know that the bridge on 22-fret PRS guitars sits further back than on their 24-fret guitars. If I bought one of these S2 Standard 22 would I have the same experience as I did with the Vela, or is it not as extreme as it is on that one?

Thanks!

I have an S2 Standard 22 and find it to feel very comfortable. Of course, I mostly play 22 fret PRS' anyway, but I feel like the guitar has the bridge in the "right" spot. I had no trouble moving from 25.5" 22 fret guitars to the 25" 22 fret PRS. Ironically enough, the first PRS I got that "spoke" to me was the S2 Standard 22.

I have an S2 Standard 22 and find it to feel very comfortable. Of course, I mostly play 22 fret PRS' anyway, but I feel like the guitar has the bridge in the "right" spot. I had no trouble moving from 25.5" 22 fret guitars to the 25" 22 fret PRS. Ironically enough, the first PRS I got that "spoke" to me was the S2 Standard 22.

Thanks for the reply! Curious if you have ever tried out a Vela?

@rushrocker - Lol, yeah I have a Vela too. I have never struggled with it in an significant way. The only way I ever struggled with it was how it hung on the strap when I first got it. I play it a little lower than my other PRS'. That's all I noticed.

Interesting I did not notice the bridge position being in an "odd" position.
I have not played an other S2 guitars and only have one 24 fretter so I might not be a ton of help.
That said my CU22s are so comfortable.

@rushrocker - Lol, yeah I have a Vela too. I have never struggled with it in an significant way. The only way I ever struggled with it was how it hung on the strap when I first got it. I play it a little lower than my other PRS'. That's all I noticed.

So you didn't notice that it was much different from your other guitars when you were seated?

Interesting I did not notice the bridge position being in an "odd" position.
I have not played an other S2 guitars and only have one 24 fretter so I might not be a ton of help.
That said my CU22s are so comfortable.

Well the 24 fret s2 is perfect. I haven't had a chance to play a 22, but the Vela was definitely weird!

So you didn't notice that it was much different from your other guitars when you were seated?

When I am playing while sitting, I cradle the guitar between my knees. It hangs from the strap. Here's a quick pic. I can't play with the guitar on my knee, lol.

So, it feels "normal" to me, based on my playing style.

OP I have 2 Standard 22s and they are very well balanced and comfy, my hands are like where they are on a 22 fret strat similarly, I like 22 fret guitars and I also want to add that standing up they are better sculpted for my right arm than my core 22...

The offset design of the Vela could present a placement issue, I guess. As I sit here, play, and look at a Vela, CU24, and DGT, here are where I see the differences, physically:
  • Vela top horn reaches between frets 12 and 13.
  • DGT top horn reaches fret 14
  • CU24 top horn reaches fret 15
  • Trough of the belly cut on Vela aligns with middle of neck pickup
  • Trough of the belly cut on DGT aligns with inside coil of neck pickup
  • Trough of the belly cut on CU24 aligns beyond neck pickup
  • The offset between the troughs of top and bottom carves in Vela is substantially larger than the 22 and 24 fret models
If you snug into the belly cut to play, I can see how that might move things around. However, while standing, this is a non-issue for me. Even sitting with them on my thigh - not knee - there’s no perceived comfort difference.

For an analysis today, I’ll take the Vela and Cabronita to practice to see how a non-PRS adds to this question. Since I play such a wide variety of makes and models maybe I’m less sensitive to these differences. In fact, I embrace the differences! If you want really different, try playing a Flying V on your lap! Some have that grip-strip/comfort flap but that’s really weird.

...or a Steinberger!?!? Lololol
Lmao! OMG that’s totally true! The ones with the carved “regular guitar” wings (the Alex Lifeson) were even weirder. Great guitars even if I didn’t like the electronics (still have a fully loaded SA/SA/85 pickguard which I should sell). Build quality was worthy of the prices but I never could justify it. Unlike my ability to justify premium prices today. :rolleyes::oops:

Lmao! OMG that’s totally true! The ones with the carved “regular guitar” wings (the Alex Lifeson) were even weirder. Great guitars even if I didn’t like the electronics (still have a fully loaded SA/SA/85 pickguard which I should sell). Build quality was worthy of the prices but I never could justify it. Unlike my ability to justify premium prices today. :rolleyes::oops:

HAHAHAHA, I played a Steinberger "brick" once and just couldn't get it. It was the most alien thing I have ever held - all the composite materials, the sterile EMGs, the bizarre trans-trem and tuning at the bottom.

Back