PRS S2 Custom 24 vs PRS S2 Standard 24 vs .... arggg!

Jaitrum

Hi, PRS guitarrists of the world!
I'd like to get my first PRS, but I don't want to go wrong! Currently owner of a Gibson SG (before that, an awful Starforce and then things went more serious with LP Studio). Searching for something new, that is, no more Gibson atm, I wanted a versatile guitar, to play hard rock mainly, but maybe some blues in it, good clean tones, with tremolo, aestethically beauty... and I felt in love with PRS guitars, of course.

I played in a local shop a pair of PRS and wow.. love it at the first sight..This is the two that I played:
- PRS SE Custom 24
SE_Custom_24_30th_Trampas_Green_1024x1024.jpg

- PRS S2 Standar 24
S2Stb24VC-large.jpg

In the testing, Standard sounds a lot of better for me (more warm and more tone), but its a bit pricey too compared with the SE. Anyway, I thought that I had a winner (standard).. but then I read some forums pointing that the real deal is a Custom 2nd hand if you can't afford it new.. My budget its limited... so I started to look the 2nd hand market and found this:
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 20th
754-prs_c22_20th-01.jpg

Currently this guitar its 500km far away, so I haven't had the pleasure of play it (maybe it has some problem, I don't know..)

Also see another one (this in Lodon! well, I'm from Spain, so maybe I have an excuse to visit a friend in London and on the way check this out) :
Paul Reed Smith 20th Anniversary Custom 24 Artist
00L0L_gmOYn2wk6ke_600x450.jpg

This two are a little more expensive than Standard Soo... well, I'm confused, I don't know what to do. Some advice?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I own a 2012 SE Custom 24, and my new S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow is light years ahead of it, plus made in the USA.
And it does indeed blow the knobs off of my 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG.

The S2 will be a big step up from the SE, but also the two Core models you list last are an upgrade from the S2.
Owning a Core 408 MT and my new S2, the 408 is ahead of it, but my S2 is no slouch either, in fact it gets more play time right now than my 408.
IMO you cannot go wrong with that S2 you posted, or any of the two Cores.
Depends on what you are willing to spend.

My advice is to be patient, save a little more, and get what you really want.

Benefit of age in my case, but I agree with Les. I have wasted a fair amount of money over the years "settling," and plenty of neurological calories wasted wondering how much better it might have been.

Life is short.

I`d first decide if you want a tremolo or not. Then save and be patient. There is no wrong choice. You just want to be able to get the one you really like sound wise.

Thank you all for the welcome and your responses! ;)
dorrocketp, I guess the tremolo is the only thing that I have clear, I'd like to have it in my new guitar, yes...
One more question.. what is the main diferrence between a S2 Custom 24 and a S2 Standard 24? it's only the pickguard or the shape?

dorrocketp, I guess the tremolo is the only thing that I have clear, I'd like to have it in my new guitar, yes...
One more question.. what is the main diferrence between a S2 Custom 24 and a S2 Standard 24? it's only the pickguard or the shape?

The S2 Standard is all mahogany, whereas the custom has a maple cap on the body.

If you want to get closer to the SE price, check it out the S2 Satin 24. Different finish, but otherwise the same guitar, and much cheaper.

There`s also the top rout (S2 standard) versus the back rout (S2 Custom).I hear the satin standard has exceptional resonance.

1-Take your time- You already have a guitar so it's not like you're going get out of practice or anything.
2-Try as many PRS as you can,- your hands & heart will guide you to the right PRS and you both can fall in love together.
3-Save as much as you reasonably can and buy the very best PRS you can afford - So you get an axe you truly love and don't end up getting a divorce (aka) selling her online.

Easy as 123.

I can certainly vouch for the S2 Standard Satin 22 or 24. Different pickups, but both are great. You just have to pick what makes your heart tick. :)

Ok, thank you al for your suggestions... First of all, I'll need to low my GAS and play more PRS to make up my mind... :)

Well.. finally, after an intensive search and playing, I've got my first PRS: a userd PRS Custom 24 top 10 (2003).. and I'm blow away by the quality and sounds in this beast... Loving so far!
index.php

Thank you! ;) I'm really impressed. It's a joy to play an axe like this... Defenitely, its the best guitar I've played hands down... The sustain is incredible, I'm in love with the wide thin neck, the different sound... :O
The only little problem I have is that the guitar comes without the tool to fix the tremolo arm.. do you know where I can buy or get something similar to fix the tremolo arm?

Back