PRS S2 Custom 24 Factory Settings Seem Odd?

Opendome

Hi everyone!

I recently received my PRS S2 Custom 24 (and absolutely loving it btw) but a few settings seem kind of odd. The bottom of the bridge sits about 2mm above the body (0.079") after I got the bridgfe floating again from dropping the saddles, and the neck had a serious bow (prob from travel, Im currently slowly adjusting the truss rod to correct it). I also dropped all the saddles and without fretting the high E is sitting 1.25 mm from the top of the fret and the bottom of the low E is about 1.3mm from the top of the fret. With the notched straight edge on and using a feeler gauge, ive got a clearance of 0.279mm (0.011") between the fretboard and the notched straightedge on the 8th fret. I keep seeing that you shouldn't have to adjust the bridge height from factory and was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks!

Just a suggestion, but I always adjust the neck first, especially if there is a noticeable bow (in either direction) as this will change any string height issues you may be seeing. Once the neck is almost straight (or however you personally like it), then adjust the saddles. Big thing is to take your time...Cool you're doing your own adjustments. Good luck, and enjoy.

Thanks! Yea I just got the neck straightened out with just a bit of relief now. Im just wondering if I should lower the bridge out of factory or If im chasing too low of action. I keep reading that factory spec is 1/16th of an inch (from the body top the bottom of the bridge I presume) and mines a bit higher then that

Yep, 1/16th and level with the body. Sounds like you are getting close. Most report that it is right when they receive them, but personal taste makes a difference. I like my action just a little higher so most guys that play mine think I need a set up...o_O

Awesome thanks! I guess I just got a bad factory setup. When lowering the bridge I need to take off the trem springs and loosen the strings right off right? Also adjusting the screws all the same (1/4 turns across the bridge at a time?).

Thanks!

Awesome thanks! I guess I just got a bad factory setup. When lowering the bridge I need to take off the trem springs and loosen the strings right off right? Also adjusting the screws all the same (1/4 turns across the bridge at a time?).

Thanks!
I'd follow this from about 8:20 on.

Back