PRS Pickup Mods

theosmm

Hey all,
New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been hashed out before. I have a '94 CE 22 with the original Dragon I pickups. I'm the original owner and have loved the Dragons it came with but am now thinking of switching them out. Has anyone switched out the old Dragons? If so, with what? Were there any issues?

Dragon1's are one of the best high output humbuckers ever made IMO. I have a single cut that was ordered with them and I have replaced them, but not because I didn't like the Dragons. ....more so I was after a different sound.

I replaced them with Seymour Duncan S-Deco pickups....which are high-fi, balanced and tight sounding moderate output humbuckers. I also use and love the 59/09 in that guitar.....which is IMO one of the better hot PAF's out there.

If you wanted a different high output flavour and wanted to stay PRS, the Tremonti would fit that bill. It will have a more aggressive top end and be grittier when you bash on chords as opposed to the Dragon, which is pretty smooth for a ceramic based unit. The HFS would be a step back in my opinion....but that is my opinion. The 'Metal' also gets good reviews, but I have not tried that one.

Last edited:
Hey all,
New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been hashed out before. I have a '94 CE 22 with the original Dragon I pickups. I'm the original owner and have loved the Dragons it came with but am now thinking of switching them out. Has anyone switched out the old Dragons? If so, with what? Were there any issues?

Exactly what are you looking for? I've changed a lot of pickups in a lot of guitars, but to be honest a pickup change is a crapshoot. You can do a ton of research but you don't know how a new pickup will sound like in your guitar till you install it. Sure, in my case each pickup change has resulted in a different tone, but I'm not sure if a difference is an improvement.

Dragon 1s are fabulous pickups, I love my Ce22 which has them. I will mod a lot of guitars but not this one. My advise, leave it be and buy another prs or sell your ce22 to me. I will keep it safe!

Back