PRS Paul's guitar 408 vs TCI humbucking mode

Texo

Hi,

since I came across a PRS Paul's guitar 2018 Experience Limited in my country a few weeks ago and was stunned by the looks and sounds of it (soundwise only via Youtube, cause I found it on the internet), I am seriously considering adding one to the collection. Though I am not sure if the experience model is really worth the extra price compared to a normal core one from 2019, I am sure that it should include the new TCI pickups, since the single coil sound seems to be something different to the 408s.
What I couldn't find out yet is if the humbucking mode differs between the TCI and 408. I watched some videos of Rabea where he plays his Pauls guitar (with 408s) with some serious highgain and it actually sounds great (I am not allowed to post links yet unfortunately). Playing with highgain would also be part of my type of music so what I am trying to find out is whether the TCI sound equally as good as the 408.
I read someone said the humbuckers are the same, others said the 408 had a higher output. So maybe someone is able to clarify this?
Thanks!

Hi Texo! I bought a 2018 Experience Paul’s Guitar just a couple months ago after wondering/ thinking about the similar things for a little while.

Here is what I’ve come to discover so far. The humbuckers are a pair of the narrower pickup on the 408, but with the TCI magic applied to them for improved single coil results. The neck pick up is sunk lower into the body for lower output and mellower tone. The bridge pickup is noticeably raised and more aggressive. My favorite tones on this guitar have been happening as I combine the pickups. I think there is a lot of ground that can be covered by the Paul’s guitar. However, I find myself using it very differently (more like a pocket knife with lots of different distinct but separate tools in it). It’s a bit hard to describe. It does work, respond, and sound a little different than any other guitar I’ve owned and it feels like it was designed with well-thought out intention this way. Still getting to know it. I think the amp pairing will be critical to maximum enjoyment/mileage here.

Thank you for your detailed answer!
Do you have any experience with a 509? This would be the other choice if not a Paul's guitar since I am looking for something different than my Custom 24 that can handle Single Coil splits well without losing that Humbucker drive and just adds other possibilities.

Sorry, I don’t. I have a 594 that’s my numero uno right now.

Thank you for your detailed answer!
Do you have any experience with a 509? This would be the other choice if not a Paul's guitar since I am looking for something different than my Custom 24 that can handle Single Coil splits well without losing that Humbucker drive and just adds other possibilities.
I've got a 509. I had a Paul's guitar, but before the TCI pickups. My Paul's did convincing single coil tones when split, but my 509 does them even better since it's really 5 independent pickups. I really, really like mine. Gratuitous pic!

BAcDrvX.jpg

Hi Texo! I bought a 2018 Experience Paul’s Guitar just a couple months ago after wondering/ thinking about the similar things for a little while.

Here is what I’ve come to discover so far. The humbuckers are a pair of the narrower pickup on the 408, but with the TCI magic applied to them for improved single coil results. The neck pick up is sunk lower into the body for lower output and mellower tone. The bridge pickup is noticeably raised and more aggressive. My favorite tones on this guitar have been happening as I combine the pickups. I think there is a lot of ground that can be covered by the Paul’s guitar. However, I find myself using it very differently (more like a pocket knife with lots of different distinct but separate tools in it). It’s a bit hard to describe. It does work, respond, and sound a little different than any other guitar I’ve owned and it feels like it was designed with well-thought out intention this way. Still getting to know it. I think the amp pairing will be critical to maximum enjoyment/mileage here.

Have kind of the same questions as Texo. I have a CU 22, a 594 and a CU 24 (all core) so am also wanting something different and considering Paul's guitar. A couple questions:
1) I only want new core and they seem very scarce on Reverb and some other large PRS dealers. Your opinion on why that is.
2) Like Texo, considering the 2018 Experience or the 2020 version but don't know the differences between the two, or are specs pretty close.
Since you've had yours for awhile now I would appreciate your input.
Thank you very much.

Have kind of the same questions as Texo. I have a CU 22, a 594 and a CU 24 (all core) so am also wanting something different and considering Paul's guitar. A couple questions:
1) I only want new core and they seem very scarce on Reverb and some other large PRS dealers. Your opinion on why that is.
2) Like Texo, considering the 2018 Experience or the 2020 version but don't know the differences between the two, or are specs pretty close.
Since you've had yours for awhile now I would appreciate your input.
Thank you very much.
Hey @Summer , I replied in the thread about my search for a Paul's. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you like, too.

There are a number of guitars in the PRS range that offer the same 'flexibility' - the same 8 pick-up selection choices from a 'double humbucker' guitar and as of 2020, all should now have the TCI process applied. Obviously, the Paul's guitar was the first and why the Pick-ups ended up being called TCI - which can get confusing as the new 594 for example has the TCI process and I have seen them listed as having the 'TCI' pickups but they are the 58/15 LT's (or LT+ in the Single Cut) with the TCI process applied.

As for which anyone should go for, I think it comes down to 'flavour'. The 594 for example is quite a 'vintage' flavoured humbucker with great and very usable Split coil tones. The Custom 24-08 is a more modern sounding Humbucker with great and usable split coil tones - but also a thinner body and a trem too. I have heard the Paul's guitar described as a P90-ish sounding Humbucker with great Single Coil tones - Point is, they are all 'different' flavours so its best to pick the one that suits you the best.

You pick the 'flavour' you want/need and maybe the one that has the specs you prefer - whether you want a trem, an intonated wraparound bridge or maybe a two piece Tune-O-Matic type bridge - 25" or 24.594" scale length etc. It may even come down to what layout you prefer to use - the '408' style with 3 way switch, 4 knob 'LP' style withe 3 way on the top, maybe even a 3 way blade - the choice is down to you.

I see the 509 mentioned as well - for me, my 509 is more Superstrat than double humbucker guitar that has some coil splitting. It can be run like a HSH or HSS like a superstrat or even SSS like a regular strat and even SSH if you want and just use the 5-way which works similar to Strat type guitars too. You don't get any of the 'double' humbucker (middle position) tones on it but you can run it more like a Strat and get the Position 4 (middle/neck SC sounds). I think if you want 'more' stratty type sounds, try and find a Swamp Ash body/Maple Neck wood Library one. The 509 is like a bit of a Les Paul ish guitar, a bit of a Tele and a bit stratty too so if you are looking to do 'covers' that may require a few guitar changes, this maybe better. It does have a slightly longer scale length too which takes it closer to the 'Fender' scale. Its why I think its a very different guitar.

Another great guitar that offers a LOT of versatility is the PRS Special Semi-Hollow - its more like a Custom 22-08 (not that PRS make one yet) with the Narrowfield to add more options to fine tune your tone. You can't use the NF on its own and the 5-way is more like an extended 3-way to accommodate the extra options of added NF. It may offer a few more selection options compared to a 509 - but to me, its still more a 'double humbucker' guitar with a lot more choice to refine the tone.

There are a lot of options and it comes down to you and what you need. I don't think that the 'Double Humbucker' split coils (whether a true split or just tapped) are likely to replace a Strat if that's what you are hoping. If you are looking for a guitar though that isn't trying to be that and offering you more options to play with, to create music with, then it really comes down to which flavour you want. The Split coils are all extremely good with little/no drop in volume and very usable - unlike many other guitars that offer splits. For me, they work best in a mix when you don't want that 'full' Humbucker sound and the frequency range is competing with Bass/Drums or other Guitars but you may feel differently when you have yours.

Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy the journey of discovering which model suits your needs best...

Back