PRS Newb- Searching for the right model

Thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome to the site, much appreciated!

So it sounds like there is not that exact type of model, unless I did one of their custom builds, which I'm pretty sure would be out of my price range. So it looks I'm left with one of the two compromises, which was kind of thinking I would have to do.

1. Get a model that is pretty close, but has the trem unit and block it. My inclination in this regard is towards the Special 22 semi hollow. I really like the sound of that guitar. I'm a big Deadhead, and am a big fan of the tone John Mayer gets with his in Dead and Company. It has that extra pickup, but that shouldn't be an issue. I like that in the middle position you can select bridge and middle together (which is how I rewire my strats.) As several of you have mentioned, I would definitely block the trem as I do with strats. My only question is, on strats I use all the springs on the trem to have it sit flush with the body. I know PRS trem is made to float, so would this different string angle on the saddles be a problem?

2. Or as Rick mentioned, I can go the hollow body route. This could get me pretty close. Our band is always very conscious about keeping a fairly low stage volume anyways, so I wouldn't be too worried about the feedback issue. The best part about this option, is keeping the stop tailpiece. I tend to play with my right hand anchored on the bridge. And the FEEL of the PRS fixed bridge was one of the reasons I really took the guitar.

Hey BTT welcome from a newbie here too.

Don't discount the 594. I am a huge Deadhead too. Mayer playing the 594 turned me around on the model as I have also been a 25" scale player for many years. That Silver 594 he was playing is so sweet sounding playing Grateful Dead music and fit in so well with the mix.

I ended up getting a sweet S2 McCarty 594 DC and its really a tone I've been wanting for a while. Quite different from my Alembic Further however super easy to play and light (couldn't believe it is Mahagony) and did I mention tone?

You should try one. Just for grins. You may be surprised. My .02.

Hey BTT welcome from a newbie here too.

Don't discount the 594. I am a huge Deadhead too. Mayer playing the 594 turned me around on the model as I have also been a 25" scale player for many years. That Silver 594 he was playing is so sweet sounding playing Grateful Dead music and fit in so well with the mix.

I ended up getting a sweet S2 McCarty 594 DC and its really a tone I've been wanting for a while. Quite different from my Alembic Further however super easy to play and light (couldn't believe it is Mahagony) and did I mention tone?

You should try one. Just for grins. You may be surprised. My .02.

For sure, I remember seeing clips of Mayer with that silver one. Didn't realize it was a 594, but looked it up, and yup it was. I would be open to it, but I would definitely have to play it first. My hesitancy with the shorter scale is all about feel, not tone. And unfortunately, the only PRS dealer here in Tucson is doing curbside pickup only, no in store shopping.
Maybe I could get used to the feel, dunno. Just going by past experience. I've only had 2 shorter scale guitars, a Gretsch and a really amazing sounding gibson les paul that I only bought because some guy was selling for probably half of it's value. Tried to love it, sounded amazing, but just could not get used to the feel.

Yep, sure is rare! What year is it? And by classic, do you just mean older, or that's a specific model name?

It's a 1997 that used to be purple but has faded to a raspberry color. 25" scale, 22 frets, wide fat neck, and special ordered as a semi-hollow. It also has no f-hole so it's a total sleeper.

kDLHmdt.jpg

The McCarty Hollowbody is a pretty sweet instrument. Like I said, unless you’re playing really loud, feedback is a non-issue. They are easy on the back during long sets, and play so smoothly. You wouldn’t regret it. Maybe once the world opens up, you can get your hands on one and see what I mean. Or you can buy from a dealer with a return option and try it without being locked in. I’d be shocked if one got returned, though. A fellow forumite turned me on to them, and I’ve become a big fan of the model. And I already had 5 core models and a Silver Sky... so it stands out in some pretty stout company!

Great feedback here thank you to another new user looking for the right model. I think I want the Hollowbody II with Piezo. Whats perplexing is I like the sound (on youtube) of the 2020 pickups with TCI but everything for sale is a 2017,18, or 19. Can anyone give me an opinion on why anyone should pay full retail for a 3 year old guitar even though it's "new"? It appears to me that a HBII w/ Piezo from circa 2018, I could get the same tech (not the wood) in a new SE model?
am I right? thanks in advance for your opinions.

Back