PRS Newb- Searching for the right model

Big Twang Theory

As I mentioned in the title, I'm a total newbie to PRS guitars. Gigging musician (in normal times) who has been playing mostly fenders for 30ish years. A few months back was in Guitar Center just trying out different stuff for shits and giggles. Tried the SE custom 22 semi hollow and totally fell in love. After a lot of pondering bought a used one from Reverb. I got the older version with the stop tailpiece, since I'm not a fan of tremolos. Swapped out the pickups for Lindy Fralin pure paf's. And come to love my first PRS even more. So much that I would like to jump into the core waters.

So my dilemma. After searching high and low I can't seem to find a model with the specs I'm looking for. Hoping you all can help me out, or maybe they just never made what I'm looking for.
The desired specs:
25" scale
Semi hollow
Fixed Bridge
2 Humbucker
Not a single cut
Would prefer 22 frets to 24, but not a deal breaker

So yes, basically just the same older SE custom 22 semi hollow, but as a core model.
Thanks for your help and sorry if this was a dumb question!

Last edited:
The guitar you're looking for is out there! You will be looking for a "Wood Library" build most likely. I did a quick search, and all of them in the U.S. right now have trems (the PRS trem is awesome however, and holds tune very well). I did find one stoptail on EBay, but it is in Japan - it also has no f-hole, but is still a semi-hollow. Keep looking, the right guitar will come along!

As I mentioned in the title, I'm a total newbie to PRS guitars. Gigging musician (in normal times) who has been playing mostly fenders for 30ish years. A few months back was in Guitar Center just trying out different stuff for shits and giggles. Tried the SE custom 22 semi hollow and totally fell in love. After a lot of pondering bought a used one from Reverb. I got the older version with the stop tailpiece, since I'm not a fan of tremolos. Swapped out the pickups for Lindy Fralin pure paf's. And come to love my first PRS even more. So much that I would like to jump into the core waters.

So my dilemma. After searching high and low I can't seem to find a model with the specs I'm looking for. Hoping you all can help me out, or maybe they just never made what I'm looking for.
The desired specs:
25" scale
Semi hollow
Fixed Bridge
2 Humbucker
Not a single cut
Would prefer 22 frets to 24, but not a deal breaker

So yes, basically just the same older SE custom 22 semi hollow, but as a core model.
Thanks for your help and sorry if this was a dumb question!
You might want to consider the PRS Hollowbody or Hollowbody II. The specs are here: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/hollowbody_ii_piezo_2020

There are versions without the piezo tailpiece, as well, should you prefer. There is a block under the bridge to the back, so it is semi-hollow, but doesn’t have the big, heavy full length body block like an ES335. The new ones have the 58/15LT pickups, made famous in the 594 series, which are a lot like Lindy’s stock PAF set. My HB is a 1999 spruce top model, and it’s a monster of a guitar. And fear not on the block vs board inside... I have played this thing loud, and it’s as controllable as a 335 or any semi-hollow. 22 frets, standard PRS pattern neck. It’s light, plays incredibly well, and roars when you need it. I’d check one out.

Welcome to the madness!

Thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome to the site, much appreciated!

So it sounds like there is not that exact type of model, unless I did one of their custom builds, which I'm pretty sure would be out of my price range. So it looks I'm left with one of the two compromises, which was kind of thinking I would have to do.

1. Get a model that is pretty close, but has the trem unit and block it. My inclination in this regard is towards the Special 22 semi hollow. I really like the sound of that guitar. I'm a big Deadhead, and am a big fan of the tone John Mayer gets with his in Dead and Company. It has that extra pickup, but that shouldn't be an issue. I like that in the middle position you can select bridge and middle together (which is how I rewire my strats.) As several of you have mentioned, I would definitely block the trem as I do with strats. My only question is, on strats I use all the springs on the trem to have it sit flush with the body. I know PRS trem is made to float, so would this different string angle on the saddles be a problem?

2. Or as Rick mentioned, I can go the hollow body route. This could get me pretty close. Our band is always very conscious about keeping a fairly low stage volume anyways, so I wouldn't be too worried about the feedback issue. The best part about this option, is keeping the stop tailpiece. I tend to play with my right hand anchored on the bridge. And the FEEL of the PRS fixed bridge was one of the reasons I really took the guitar.

the FEEL of the PRS fixed bridge was one of the reasons I really took the guitar.
The feel of a PRS trem bridge is pretty nice too, TBH. I'm really anti on bridges that have the grub screws poking up into my hand when I palm mute (looking at you, big F) and have never experienced that with a PRS bridge in any of their lines.

I wouldn't worry about blocking or decking it too much.

Or as Rick mentioned, I can go the hollow body route. This could get me pretty close. Our band is always very conscious about keeping a fairly low stage volume anyways, so I wouldn't be too worried about the feedback issue. The best part about this option, is keeping the stop tailpiece. I tend to play with my right hand anchored on the bridge. And the FEEL of the PRS fixed bridge was one of the reasons I really took the guitar.

The McCarty Hollowbody is a pretty sweet instrument. Like I said, unless you’re playing really loud, feedback is a non-issue. They are easy on the back during long sets, and play so smoothly. You wouldn’t regret it. Maybe once the world opens up, you can get your hands on one and see what I mean. Or you can buy from a dealer with a return option and try it without being locked in. I’d be shocked if one got returned, though. A fellow forumite turned me on to them, and I’ve become a big fan of the model. And I already had 5 core models and a Silver Sky... so it stands out in some pretty stout company!

CE 24 Semi Hollow. I have one and can tell you the trem and tuning is amazingly stable. You can use it as a fixed bridge guitar, or block it (it is likely not needed).

Gotta be honest though... If you haven't tried a 594, please do. Seriously. And SH are easy to find.
Yeah, I hear ya. They DO sound great. A friend of mine has one. But after playing teles for all these years, I like the snap of the slightly longer scale. That's the one spec that is the deal breaker for me.

That link was for the solid body. I think all the newer semi's are the 594. I'll have to keep checking through older ones. Thanks the info!

Yeah, I hear ya. They DO sound great. A friend of mine has one. But after playing teles for all these years, I like the snap of the slightly longer scale. That's the one spec that is the deal breaker for me.

That link was for the solid body. I think all the newer semi's are the 594. I'll have to keep checking through older ones. Thanks the info!
Yeah, the link was just to show the new ones are 25" as well still.
I threw 9s on my 594s. Snappy!:D

Back