PRS needs your input!

Hunter@PRS

PRS all day, every day.
Staff member
Hey guys! PRS goes out to events from time to time and sets up an interactive area for people to play and demo our guitars. For now we have been using old POD units and headphones at individual stations.

Example:

SXSW-19.jpg

SXSW-24.jpg

We realize this probably isn't the best option but it's what we had so we worked with it. Do any of you have recommendations about how we can improve the sound and function of these interactive areas?

Some people here were thinking iPads with Positive Grid Amp Modeling software. Any body have any experience with other options? Note: isolation boxes with live amps isn't really feasible considering space and setup time constraints.

THANKS

The Positive Grid software is easily the best modeling option for small and compact units, especially at a reasonable price. I like the idea!

+1 on the Positive Grid idea!! Them and iPads are probably the most cost-effective way as well as offering some of the best results, in my opinion!

I say iPads or some tablet brand for sure. As to the modeling app to use, why not the folks who where at the prs experience 2 years ago. can't remember their names (apogee i think), partly due to the fact i don't use the option, but the demo they had going in the factory was fantastic.

I will says stick to the pods ... or maybe one of the new amplifire modeler... or maybe put a couple of AXE fx with great patches for popular styles, but of course that would be more expensive

My "I hate modelers" rant notwithstanding, get some Kemper units and create some PRS amplifier profiles. It's as close as you'll come to being able to have people hear both the guitars and the kind of amps you make in that kind of setting.

Last edited:
My "I hate modelers" rant notwithstanding, get some Kemper units and create some PRS amplifier profiles. It's as close as you'll come to being able to have people hear both the guitars and the kind of amps you make.

This +1000. To me this is the only commercially sensible way forward.

Do the whole PRS range plus maybe a few more classic standbys to be fair to people who have those in their arsenal.

As for me, I don't like to use any software or smart pads or burn time dialing in some overengineered 'modeler' or 'emulator' at a demo show. Just plug the guitar in, put on head phones, turn a few knobs and done. And if you're that interested in the guitar, then you take it to the next real step and go to your local dealer to play thru a tube amp.

My vote is to stick with a basic, no frills Line 6 Pod.

My "I hate modelers" rant notwithstanding, get some Kemper units and create some PRS amplifier profiles. It's as close as you'll come to being able to have people hear both the guitars and the kind of amps you make in that kind of setting.

Yep. That would be the better solution.

As for me, I don't like to use any software or smart pads or burn time dialing in some overengineered 'modeler' or 'emulator' at a demo show. Just plug the guitar in, put on head phones, turn a few knobs and done. And if you're that interested in the guitar, then you take it to the next real step and go to your local dealer to play thru a tube amp.

I'm not seeing how using an emulator with presets by PRS to mimic their amps is any harder than "turning a few knobs" on a pod.

Select "HX/DA" or "Archon", etc and start playing.

Bonus-you get to "hear" a PRS amp with the PRS guitar you are trying out.

win - win.

Last edited:
I don't know if it would be feasible, if this is a traveling setup, but I would like to demo PRS guitars with PRS amps. I remember seeing something called a THD Hot Plate some time ago that was an attenuator which had a headphone out. Maybe something like that would work and be cheaper than iPads if the location is a music store that already has amps. Or build headphone outputs on your amps.

This is a good idea!

Or at the very least stick with the perfectly good Line 6 solution. Hey, maybe they would model a PRS amp?

Not to turn this into a Line 6 ad but... Dial in a few patches for different styles and allow the people to tweak using the knobs rather than faff around on touchscreens. The gear is reasonably priced and is tough and will last awhile. Perhaps upgrade the gear to the latest generation of POD's.

Carting around more fragile iPads and wondering how long before they become redundant. Or.. Some software update makes them glitchy right before the big show...

Stick with a dedicated hardware modeller!

Love the Kemper idea, had thought about suggesting it(I'm going to check out Gian's this weekend). That would be pretty pricey if you were wanting to have a bunch of stations set up. Love the idea, just not sure how cost effective it would be.

Or build headphone outputs on your amps.
This could work too, bring along "real" amps.
My Mesa Mark Five 25 has a headphone input on the back, and also a switch to turn off the speakers.
This would be a cool feature to build into all future PRS amps.

Question: do you prepare some sensible preset on those Pods (and do you make them clear to the users) or do you expect people to self-select sound with knobs anyway?

My experience with Pod is that it can become too much overwhelming over the guitar (differences between guitars become a lot subtler) so I would at least try to have a few pod presets, clearly explained to the users, that:
- can reproduce as much as possible the differences between guitars
- are the same between different Pods, so the user that tests more stations can have a consistent situation

I second this. My experience is that a significant percentage of people using your demo stations aren't going to be all that tech savvy, and anything that requires dealing with separate hardware/software pieces can turn into a nightmare for whoever has to keep it running, regardless of how simple it may seem to tech savvy people. People can find a way to break most anything, might as well not make it any trickier then it has to be.

If the budget supports a newer stand alone solution (AxeFX, Kemper, whatever) it would be worth considering, but otherwise stick with easy and reliable.

Tom

The Dallas Guitar Show, the last weekend of May(29-31) and is, to my knowledge, the next national major event. PRS is listed as an exhibitor. And since this thread is well in advance of that, it will be interesting to see what demo stations PRS brings to it.

The Dallas Guitar Show, the last weekend of May(29-31) and is, to my knowledge, the next national major event. PRS is listed as an exhibitor. And since this thread is well in advance of that, it will be interesting to see what demo stations PRS brings to it.

I saw the demo Pods in pictures from the PRS SXSW setup, but I've never seen them in the PRS booth at the Dallas or Arlington guitar shows, and I've been going since 2006 or 2007.

Back