PRS MC-58 vs SC-58 Tone Differences (McCarty 58 vs Singlecut 58)

bsharpgrooves

Hey guys anyone who owns both or have played mind sharing their thoughts on the tone differences between these 2 guitars?
I realize the MC58 has 25" neck scale with wraparound bridge vs SC58 at 24.5" with 2 piece stoptail bridge.
Cheers

The SC will have a little more "beef" and low end to it. The MC will have a little more pronounced midrange with the 25" scale and probably cut through a band mix a little better. These are generalizations since every guitar is a bit different. Both guitars can handle similar jobs as they are in the same territory.

I don't have a SC58 though I intend to buy one in May-June if something remarkable appears in the market at the time. But I make A/B comparisons with my MC58 and my R9 frequently and they sound in the same territory but are quite different: my PRS sounds full, articulate, focused and percussive (a little twangy in clean tones); my R9 with BKP Mules sounds full, growly, raw and less percussive yet has some piano-clear-notes flavour with clean tones.
The reason I intend to buy a Sc58 is because I love the model and because I would like to substitute my R9 with something that sound the same but adding the PRS musicality and craftsmanship, but I don't know if the SC will do that for me.

I already have that one, I want to increase the family!

I have played a MC-58 and own the SC-58

The MC-58 is classic hardtail PRS very similar to my MEII loved the sound lucky for me the Goldtop one I was looking at sold before I pulled the trigger

The SC-58 for me is a GREAT Les Paul that plays like my other PRSi killer bridge and middle pickup sounds ( neck sounds great also just darker than my other PRSi )
for me the upper fret access is better than a Lester ( My SCT is a bit better than the SC58 ) and the bound neck ( not normally my thing ) just works on this guitar
They are IMHO different enough to own both !!!!

Back