PRS \m/ bridge pickup wired in incorrectly, and it sounds really great!

Jbyrd78

Since I now have 2 Core Custom 24's, I decided to remove a set of the 85/15 TCI's from one of them and throw in a set of PRS \m/ pickup sets I have lying around.
Man talk about alot confusion due to all the wires on the pickups. Even with using one of the 5 way wiring schematic's off the PRS archive, it was alot of trial and error attempting to get the wires in the right spots since not all PRS pickup wires are alike
Unfortunately, I wasn't successful getting the bridge pickup wires in the right spots.
To be honest, the bridge pickup wired incorrectly, sounds really amazing!
It sounds like a PAF on steroids with alot of clarity & articulation, and it's balanced with the neck pickup, something that wasn't happening when I had it installed and wired correctly in another guitar, due to the differences in output between the two pickups.
I think I like it more than how it's originally supposed to sound.
The only problem is, the sound in position two on the 5-way selector switch, sounds nasally and out of phase, while all the other positions sounds how they are supposed to sound. As much as I would like to correct all this, I'm afraid to try and reverse the wires
b/c I know I'm going to lose that tone. I guess for now this will be a "take the good with the bad scenario."

I think if you wire it correctly it will sound the same and your #2 position will sound right. Easy enough to try.
This.

Correct me if Im wrong, but \m/ are three wires + chaasis ground. Just like the 59/09. Probably the signal with coil ground was switched over

I think if you wire it correctly it will sound the same and your #2 position will sound right. Easy enough to try.
Just carefully document/photograph exactly how you have it now so if you lose that tone, you can always change it back

True it is easy to try, I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
This.

Correct me if Im wrong, but \m/ are three wires + chaasis ground. Just like the 59/09. Probably the signal with coil ground was switched over
Yes the \m/'s are 3 wires and a chasis ground wire.
Just carefully document/photograph exactly how you have it now so if you lose that tone, you can always change it back
I actually took a photograph of how I currently have it wired. I included that picture, along with the wiring diagram I found in the PRS archives. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone who has more expertise than me, can look at both pictures and tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what wires go where.
CU24 5-way switch

Yes the \m/'s are 3 wires and a chasis ground wire.

Switch Black and White wires, and you will have your pickup in phase with the other. Technically speaking, there should be no tonal difference, although, with some effect pedals, it may. I always believed it wouldn't make any difference until I tried flipping phase back and forth on a single HB pickup with a Fuzz Face on (exact clone of). To clarify - the bridge pickup where the phase switch was added worked independently, so it was not OoP with another pickup. Still, I could hear a tonal difference - not even a gentle change; it was a night and day

\m/'s wiring code, FYI

TREBLE PICKUP
Black = hot
White = ground
Red = coil split

BASS PICKUP
White = hot
Black = ground
Red = coil split

Switch Black and White wires, and you will have your pickup in phase with the other. Technically speaking, there should be no tonal difference, although, with some effect pedals, it may. I always believed it wouldn't make any difference until I tried flipping phase back and forth on a single HB pickup with a Fuzz Face on (exact clone of). To clarify - the bridge pickup where the phase switch was added worked independently, so it was not OoP with another pickup. Still, I could hear a tonal difference - not even a gentle change; it was a night and day

\m/'s wiring code, FYI

TREBLE PICKUP
Black = hot
White = ground
Red = coil split

BASS PICKUP
White = hot
Black = ground
Red = coil split
Thank you, much appreciated! I will get on that Thursday when I get home and report back. Do I need to reverse the black & white wires for both pickups, or just the bridge? Like I mentioned, it only sounds out of phase in position 2. All of the other positions sound normal and balanced like they should.

Thank you, much appreciated! I will get on that Thursday when I get home and report back. Do I need to reverse the black & white wires for both pickups, or just the bridge? Like I mentioned, it only sounds out of phase in position 2. All of the other positions sound normal and balanced like they should.
Just one. Either bridge or neck - whichever you got wrong ;)

Back