PRS Hollowbody Bridge Mounting

There's lots of videos on PRS solidbody construction. I've never been able to find one on HBs. Would love to see one.

Ditto! I worked in a store back in the late 90s and they brought in a sawed in half HB prototype where they had carved/worn through the top of the guitar. It took PRS a long time to get the CNC right. We had that ‘guitar’ for years. I think one of the guitar techs glued it back together and made an abomination with it.

Ditto! I worked in a store back in the late 90s and they brought in a sawed in half HB prototype where they had carved/worn through the top of the guitar. It took PRS a long time to get the CNC right. We had that ‘guitar’ for years. I think one of the guitar techs glued it back together and made an abomination with it.

I seem to recall - a loooong time ago - someone posted a pic of a sawn-in-half Hollowbody II body. PRS had scrapped it, cut it up for trash, but someone grabbed it out of the garbage bin and took it home as a souvenir. It was pretty cool to look at.

I think this was on the old Birds and Moons forum (or maybe the ancient PRS Forum that turned into TGP) - maybe one of the regulars here will recall?

=K

I don't recall seeing a PRS Hollowbody build and in most, if not all video's I have watched of PRS factory walkthroughs, I have only ever seen a Hollowbody ready for sanding stage before having its neck fitted. I have seen video's of 'PRS type Hollowbody/semi-hollow' builds - not official PRS's. The picture on Page 1 of this thread is by far the 'best' illustration of the hollowbody build process. You can clearly see that, apart from the bridge mounting block which makes sense to have, the rest of the guitar is hollow. Unlike a semi-hollow which has a chamber cut into the Mahogany body, the hollow body cuts out ALL the mahogany leaving just the side wall and bridge block. You can see the maple that makes up the back of the body.

1Q2v5kW.jpg

I love this pic of my Hollowbody but its also very useful for this discussion. If you look through the F-Hole, you can clearly see the Bridge mounting block but, because the Hollowbody has a maple back (not that you can see that here), you also get the faux double binding.

I would love PRS to do a video of the making of a Hollowbody - either this one or even the 594 HB which I assume would require a bigger block for the two-part tune-o-matic style bridge to mount into.

I seem to recall - a loooong time ago - someone posted a pic of a sawn-in-half Hollowbody II body. PRS had scrapped it, cut it up for trash, but someone grabbed it out of the garbage bin and took it home as a souvenir. It was pretty cool to look at.

I think this was on the old Birds and Moons forum (or maybe the ancient PRS Forum that turned into TGP) - maybe one of the regulars here will recall?

=K

I think our PRS rep at the time (late 90s) saved it from the PRS scrap heap (with permission) to use as a demo of their construction technique. Could have been me talking back on B@M :D I also had a thread there where a guy from PRS (maybe Shawn?) gave a great answer on the SCHBII build process. It was really hard to find info and I was bummed when B@M collapsed and that info went away.

Back