PRS hardware oxidation

Jvstrat

Hey guys, I have a pre-Gibson lawsuit USA Mark Tremonti I have always had an issue with. I got it new and baby it, rarely play it. The bridge and tailpiece always get dull/oxidized looking. I have polished it before, but it comes back. Dont have this problem with any other of my guitars. Any ideas what is safe to keep it looking good?

after you polish it take the cloth that you apply the furniture polish to the fret board with(recommended fretboard sealer by prs) and wipe it down. That should cut down the oxidation quite a lot.

On a side note... People play the heck out of 300 year old Stradavarius violins worth many millions of dollars... Play that baby!

While I agree about playing that thang, I have a McSoapy,10 top, with gold I guess you could say I baby, too....just enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I do play it. I just meant not as frequently as some of the others. Put it this way, I will play it at a wedding/corporate gig, but not at a bar gig where I may bump into drunk patrons or my band members.

Do whatever you want to do with it. After all, it's your guitar.

As to your topic, while I don't know that it will prevent the problem, Blue Magic cleans it up nicely.

Last edited:
Nickel is more likely to tarnish than chrome plating (most companies use chrome). But it has a warmer look, and Paul Smith seems to prefer the sound (how he can hear the sound of plating is beyond me, but I trust his ears!).

It's just one of those things that needs polishing up every so often, I guess.

Since Eric Johnson hasn't talked about a tonal difference caused by chrome vs. nickel plating, plating doesn't make a difference.

Since Eric Johnson hasn't talked about a tonal difference caused by chrome vs. nickel plating, plating doesn't make a difference.

Actually, Eric Johnson is reputed to have specified unplated plugs on the ends of his cables.

Don't ask me why, I'm only the reporter.

Back