PRS fret height question

Riversider

Hi, new member here, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm unable to really find definitive figures or measurements anywhere for PRS fret heights.....

I'm looking at buying either a new CE24 or possibly an S2 CU24, but would like to know if they use the same fret wire?

I've owned a few SEs and couple of S2 Velas previously, and with the help of a digital caliper I measured the frets on the last Vela as averaging around 0.41 to 0.42 in height, but I have no real experience of the CE24 model at all.

Also, am I right to think that all S2 necks (and frets) are the same, apart from the new 594 range? The 0.41 height on the Vela was a little lower than I typically like, but I'm not sure if that's representative of all S2s.

I can't afford a Core, but am I limited to lower fret sizes if I buy a non Core PRS?

Thanks for any advice.

That’s better. Can’t help with your question though.

Bob
Found an old Harmony Central review which claimed the (post-2016) CE24 example he had used fret wire with a height of 0.047, so that's some guidance, at least.

Maybe I'd have had a better response if I'd simply asked it like this;

Are there ANY PRS models outside the Core range which use jumbo (6100) fretwire, or maybe even 6105 equivalent?

Found an old Harmony Central review which claimed the (post-2016) CE24 example he had used fret wire with a height of 0.047, so that's some guidance, at least.

Maybe I'd have had a better response if I'd simply asked it like this;

Are there ANY PRS models outside the Core range which use jumbo (6100) fretwire, or maybe even 6105 equivalent?

SE Mark Holcomb has big fret wire, very flat fret board radius may be an issue for you but I love mine

Thanks, didn't spot that one. Good info but not quite the right PRS for me in other respects.

Anyone else?
I'm worried I've joined the wrong forum.....

How about this question - are SE frets lower/smaller than S2 frets?

Thanks

I recently checked the height of my frets on multiple guitars that included American made strat and tele. A John Petrucci signature. A Les Paul, a Carvin. I also did my PRS custom 22.

reason? Because a few years back I did a fret dressing on my custom 22 to take out some dents. And I was wondering how their height compared to my other guitars that had not had a fret dressing.

Most of my other guitars had heights that ranged from 0.042-0.047.

My PRS custom 22 was averaging about 0.038 due the fret dressing it had a few years back. It plays great and I have no desire to change the frets yet. But at that height it does feel slightly different when I play. Not in a bad way, but I can notice it.

I emailed PRS tech center snd asked about recommendations of when shorter height is “too low” and they said “when I don’t like how it feels to play it and if starts affecting the sound........it’s not based on a specific height”.

hope that helps a little.

Thanks Masque.

I found the Vela and SE frets as low as I'd want to go.

Maybe a DGT on the used market is the way to go. They at least appear to have something approaching a 6100 type height. Plus they look like fantastic guitars in every other way, too.

Back