PRS EG Series II opinions needed

skeeterbuck

I looking at several EG Series II guitars. One has the 3 Fralin domino pickups and the other 2 dominos and one HB in the bridge. I looking for the pros and cons of each pickup configuration and also input on ones with the maple cap vs the all alder bodies.

Thanks!

I was looking for one a few years ago and I wanted the 3 Dominoes. I can't say which one was better though. Never got to try any of them.

I have the three dominos one. It’s a great guitar, and the bridge pickup is fine. I’m not a fan of the bridge humbucker version. They use an HFS. It may very well be my least favorite pickup of all time. Many people here like it, I don’t. I’m mostly a blues and r n’b player and I don’t like any ceramic magnet pickups from any one. What do you want to use the guitar for? The neck is great, and the body is very comfortable.

I have the three dominos one. It’s a great guitar, and the bridge pickup is fine. I’m not a fan of the bridge humbucker version. They use an HFS. It may very well be my least favorite pickup of all time. Many people here like it, I don’t. I’m mostly a blues and r n’b player and I don’t like any ceramic magnet pickups from any one. What do you want to use the guitar for? The neck is great, and the body is very comfortable.
I mainly play pop and classic rock. I know that the bridge HFS is a pickup that not very popular. That doesn’t concern me too much because I can easily either do a magnet change or swap it out for something else.
Does yours have the maple top?

I debated on picking up a 3 domino one a couple years back. I went back a few times. Played nice, sounded good, and the price was great. I couldn't get past the poor matching and ultimately decided it was one of those guitars I was buying more for the price and it was a PRS than the guitar itself. Still a good guitar and came close, but I would have ended up selling it.

I debated on picking up a 3 domino one a couple years back. I went back a few times. Played nice, sounded good, and the price was great. I couldn't get past the poor matching and ultimately decided it was one of those guitars I was buying more for the price and it was a PRS than the guitar itself. Still a good guitar and came close, but I would have ended up selling it.
When you refer to the "poor matching" is that in reference to the maple top? Do you remember what the great price was?

Thanks!

I used to own a triple domino EG without the maple top back in the '90s... If I found another today, I'd jump on it so fast I'd probably sprain something... just sayin'...

If it was this one, I'd probably break somethin'...
prs-guitar-eg-3-pearl-white.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, It looks like PRS was using the scrap maple that was left over from the more expensive models at the time. That's understandable considering the EG was their "budget" model prior the the SE Series.

I mainly play pop and classic rock. I know that the bridge HFS is a pickup that not very popular. That doesn’t concern me too much because I can easily either do a magnet change or swap it out for something else.
Does yours have the maple top?
Mine is an alder body. That was intentional because of the sound. These always seem to do better with 9 gauge strings. If you like heavier strings, then the body cracks at the neck joint can be a problem. A good luthier will have no problem stabilizing them.

This just popped up on reverb (no affiliation). Pretty cool refin. Price seems optimistic, but I may be out of the loop on the going rate these days.

This just popped up on reverb (no affiliation). Pretty cool refin. Price seems optimistic, but I may be out of the loop on the going rate these days.

This would be my most concern:-About 3/16" finish crack at the corner of the neck pocket (high E-string side) which is too small and fine to clearly photograph. There is no visible or physical indication the body wood is cracked.

Thinking that the EG's with the 3 domino PU's is the most desirable, I'd say it about 1.3 or 1.4K would be more realistic.

Does anyone know the reason for the different pickguards that were used on the EG models? I've seen 3 ply B-W-B; 3 ply W-B-W; white pearloid; and single ply white. I take it that it may have had something to do with the guitar's color.

Was the pickguard color an option?

Back