PRS DGT SE - String Spacing For Bridge Humbucker

Lumberjack88

Hey guys, before I can order a new humbucker set for my PRS DGT SE, I need to know the string spacing for the bridge humbucker of the PRS DGT SE guitar? Should I order an F-spaced humbucker, if I want the pole pieces to align to the strings?

Measure the pole spacing and you’ll know your answer. I would think an SE is closer to trembucker.

Why the change if you don’t mind me asking?

Measure the pole spacing and you’ll know your answer. I would think an SE is closer to trembucker.

Why the change if you don’t mind me asking?
The problem I have is that I don't have a caliper and the bridge humbucker is a bit askew from the factory, so not the best conditions to measure a difference of mere milimeters. Even moving the ruler a bit to the side can increase the total length enough to make the measurement worthless in this case. The standard pickup is probably 50mm while the string spacing is probably closer to 52mm, which explains why the bridge pole pieces don't align perfectly with the strings. Could be that it's just due to the factory skew of the humbucker pickup. They really did a shoddy factory job at the bridge position.

I want to change them because I'm not a big fan of the tone of these pickups. I much prefer unwaxed pickups for one and a bit lower output. AFAIK, the standard PRS DGT SE pickpus measure about 9K in the bridge and I prefer upotted PAFs around 8k. I tried to like them, and really wanted to make them work, but I'm not a fan of the mids these pickups are producing. In theory, it should work very well with old Marshalls and Fenders, but I just don't see it. Usable but nothing spectacular...

Last edited:
Back